PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defenses flopping, faking an injury to slow down offense (merged 8x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT:Flopping in Football, is there a fix?

I do, however, appreciate the spirit of this thread. In soccer, you can get a yellow card for flopping (called "diving" in soccer). It's not a penalty that impacts the game immediately, but it could lead to a one-game suspension..

Speaking as a soccer referee, the caution (yellow card) for flopping, diving, playing Italian, embelishment definately has an immediate impact on the game. The cautioned player now has to play WAYYYYY more cautiously as the next cautionable offense means he is gone for the game and the next one. High level soccer (most of the European A-leagues) should see 2 or 3 cautions per team per match for a relatively "clean" match." Getting a dumb caution impacts strategy and substitution significantly.

Re: Faking Injuries to slow an offense - League taking notes?

Teams could also send out their LEAST valuable player to fake an injury. That alone would make such a rule useless.

Not to be facetious, but remember that the whole point here is to fake injuries to stop the clock on a team running the no-huddle. At a minimum, teams trying that would risk 12 men on the field.

Re: No huddle offense...defensive flopping

According to NFLN (LaCanfora, I think), unless a player or coach admits to the player faking an injury, there is nothing the league can do about it.

Then what the hell was the point of sending a letter to all 32 teams warning them that they could be fined and lose draft picks, if all that has to be done is deny it?

I may have either missed it on this thread or mentioned elsewhere, but you guys probably saw TFB standing over one of the Chargers. Man did I love that, calling him out on national tv.

Did you guys hear anything else about that or did any coach or player comment on that particular situation with Brady, or did he himself say anything about that?

Last edited:

First time I ever saw this happen was when Boston native Joe Nash, Seahawks NT, repeatedly came up gimpy against the Sam Wyche/Boomer Esiason no-huddle Bengals in the '88 postseason. The Jim Kelly Bills perfected the hurry-up offense in the early '90s and also faced such shenanigans. The problem has been around for a while.

23 years later I'm surprised the league hasn't come up with a viable way to put these free timeout tactics to rest. I agree that the league cannot make snap judgments on who is hurt and who is not and therefore penalize teams on the spot. I think the compromise is to do what others suggested: Have the injured (or "injured") player sit out several plays.

Regards,
Chris

The league has apparently sent out a memo on the subject.

NFL.com news: League memo discourages clubs from feigning injuries

i know that...thanks...but the incident with Brady, that seemed pretty bold for an opposing player to be standing over a player like that...it never had the vibe of, I hope he is ok, it had the vibe of..get the f up I know you are faking it, and yeah my body language is saying that on national tv.

Pretty huge insult to challenge someone's manhood like that, on a nationally televised game.

First time I ever saw this happen was when Boston native Joe Nash, Seahawks NT, repeatedly came up gimpy against the Sam Wyche/Boomer Esiason no-huddle Bengals in the '88 postseason. The Jim Kelly Bills perfected the hurry-up offense in the early '90s and also faced such shenanigans. The problem has been around for a while.

23 years later I'm surprised the league hasn't come up with a viable way to put these free timeout tactics to rest. I agree that the league cannot make snap judgments on who is hurt and who is not and therefore penalize teams on the spot. I think the compromise is to do what others suggested: Have the injured (or "injured") player sit out several plays.

Regards,
Chris

Of course the opposite would work as well.

Some traditionalist of football might argue that the hurry up offense is a perversion of the game, and football is best played when both teams are allowed to place the best 11 men on the field for the given situation.

Thus the league should adopt a rule that prohibits a team from snapping the ball until 10 seconds has elapsed off of the 30 second clock.

This would solve the problem of flopping as well.

i know that...thanks...but the incident with Brady, that seemed pretty bold for an opposing player to be standing over a player like that...it never had the vibe of, I hope he is ok, it had the vibe of..get the f up I know you are faking it, and yeah my body language is saying that on national tv.

Pretty huge insult to challenge someone's manhood like that, on a nationally televised game.

I wasn't responding to you with my post. I was posting information to the thread. I think the Giants double dippers were the catalyst to this, not the Chargers guys.

Re: OT:Flopping in Football, is there a fix?

Speaking as a soccer referee, the caution (yellow card) for flopping, diving, playing Italian, embelishment definately has an immediate impact on the game. The cautioned player now has to play WAYYYYY more cautiously as the next cautionable offense means he is gone for the game and the next one. High level soccer (most of the European A-leagues) should see 2 or 3 cautions per team per match for a relatively "clean" match." Getting a dumb caution impacts strategy and substitution significantly.

Ok, that's a fair point.

R3DpM.gif

Last edited:
Re: NFL issues Warnig of penalties to teams faking injury.

This was bound to come out after that laughable acting job by the Giants mon night. Probably no way to enforce it, but hopefully make some think twice. Bart Scott you listening?:nono:

Interesting.

As usual, BB was way ahead of the rest of the league on this matter too ....

Willie McG perfected this in 2003 ... & the rest of the league is copying it NOW ?

OK, seriously. I do not want refs deciding what injury is "real."

Make it so it doesn't matter. In the last two minutes it is either a time-out, a ten second run-off or a five yard penalty. Get rid of the two minute thing and make kit the whole game.

One idea I heard today is that, when a team is going for the no-huddle and someone goes down, you only allow that one player to be replaced, instead of allowing wholesale substitutions during the injury timeout.

How the hell are they supposed to determine whether they're faking or not? I want a solution too but this isn't it.

The best thing would probably be to enforce something like a 10 snap minimum that the injured player has to miss after causing a stoppage in play.

we're f()ked ... Goodell will take away our 2 first rounders (even if one of our defender's limb is in the parking lot) ...

How the hell are they supposed to determine whether they're faking or not? I want a solution too but this isn't it.

The best thing would probably be to enforce something like a 10 snap minimum that the injured player has to miss after causing a stoppage in play.

I agree, you cant tell. But if a guy gets injured he should sit out a few snaps anyway for his own safety. There has to be some kind deterrent for the obvious fakes. It seems like anytime you run a no huddle, somebody drops.

True but when 2 players and the same time act like they slipped on a banana peel and broke something, its probably fake.

Giants.... :rolleyes:

But it will be based on speculation. They will have to later confirm injuries through the team I heard. The G-men just did a terrible job

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back