PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats opponents have scored 120 points against their other two opponents for an average of 20 PPG. NE's Defense has held those three teams to 27 points or 9 PPG for a -11 PPG.

That is impressive regardless of who they played.

I know people are disappointed Gregory is startng, but you have to give hm credit. sure tackling preventng big plays over and over.

I know its popular around here to diminish the defense based on opponent, whether, moon phase or whatever comes to mind, but this defense has been excellent.
3 TDs in 3 games. Its not easy to find defenses who do that against any competition.
Depending on Seattles outcome it appears the Pats will be #2 in points allowed.

52/103 passing is just over 50% completed which is incredible.

There is absolutely no doubt that the defense has improved dramatically.

This! And This!
Additional note: AJ writes "its popular around here to diminish the defense", so what does the very next post in the thread do???? Funny.....

I know people are disappointed Gregory is startng, but you have to give hm credit. sure tackling preventng big plays over and over.

I don't know what happened to Gregory, but I'm convinced the guy in his uniform so far this season isn't the same guy as it was last season. He had a missed tackle today, but he's been far more reliable this season.

I did not get to watch the game but holding any team in todays NFL to 3 points is great

against 2 rookie QB's plus 1 QB (Freeman) about to be replaced

I don't know what happened to Gregory, but I'm convinced the guy in his uniform so far this season isn't the same guy as it was last season. He had a missed tackle today, but he's been far more reliable this season.

Still would like to upgrade over him but Gregory isn't a bad safety. He's had some nice big hits from time to time and seems to find the ball. I'd love to somehow get our hands on the other McCourty and go with a McCourty squared tandem.

against 2 rookie QB's plus 1 QB (Freeman) about to be replaced

one of dose rookies are 2-1 right now and with not much better WR's then what Brady is working with right now. bottom line you can only bet who you play and being 3-0 with a defense ranked #9 in yards and #2 in points only giving up 11 per game is a far cry from last years 1-2 start with a team that scored 35 points a game, yes we will see what this defense is really made of vs the falcons but for now I think they are worlds better then last year

#2 in points only giving up 11 per game is a far

Although if we want to be technical the defense is only allowing 9 points per game (same as the Seahawks)

It might be that the complex defensive system has finally clicked for him, or he was playing with an undisclosed injury that finally healed, or a combination of both.

I really do like this defense going forward. It looks to have the right mix of veterans and blossoming young players ie Jones, McCourty, Dennard, Hightower, etc.

The thing is the Patriots defense is playing very well against teams they should be playing very well against which we got a small taste of towards the end of last year until the AFCC spoiled it.

If defenses in years past would have played these 3 games, we would be pulling our hair out over for example them allowing the Bucs to convert 12 of 14 on 3rd down and 3 of 4 on 4th down and how they are a bottom 10 team on stopping 3rd down.

Instead Bucs went 5 of 14 on 3rd down and 0-4 on 4th down and the Pats are a top 10 team on stopping 3rd down.

I don't necessarily have the stats to support this but the chunk plays given up seem to be more limited so far which is not to be overlooked. Tampa had a long drive that either ended with 0 or 3 points and as much I would prefer no yards given up, its not realistic and sustaining a 15 play drive is very difficult but then only getting 3 points is demoralizing.
A few other observations:
1. Gameplan yesterday reminded me of the 01 SB. Defense constantly knocked Martin even at the expense of the pass rush which was similar to how they played Faulk.
2. That Jones\Buchannon duo is becoming a weapon on 3rd downs.
3. Secondary has been good and in particular our safety play. We don't see the views on TV well but I suspect that McCourty's range has QB's holding the ball longer.
4. Would love to see Collins on the field more and in time I think we will. His athleticism is impressive and I think he offers unique versatility.

I don't necessarily have the stats to support this but the chunk plays given up seem to be more limited so far which is not to be overlooked. Tampa had a long drive that either ended with 0 or 3 points and as much I would prefer no yards given up, its not realistic and sustaining a 15 play drive is very difficult but then only getting 3 points is demoralizing.
A few other observations:
1. Gameplan yesterday reminded me of the 01 SB. Defense constantly knocked Martin even at the expense of the pass rush which was similar to how they played Faulk.
2. That Jones\Buchannon duo is becoming a weapon on 3rd downs.
3. Secondary has been good and in particular our safety play. We don't see the views on TV well but I suspect that McCourty's range has QB's holding the ball longer.
4. Would love to see Collins on the field more and in time I think we will. His athleticism is impressive and I think he offers unique versatility.

I pretty much agree with all of this, but i think you will see Collins full time next year when Spikes is gone and Hightower is the full time MLB. this season he will be used more situationally on passing downs imo.

This! And This!
Additional note: AJ writes "its popular around here to diminish the defense", so what does the very next post in the thread do???? Funny.....

How does bringing up the fact that the offensive schedule gets tougher (it will) and that it will be fun watching these next two tests (it will) diminish the defense in any way? So far, the defense has done what it was supposed to do against lesser offenses. Could there be improvements? Sure. Our head coach, quarterback, and staff would agree with that. There could definitely be improvements. But, compared to what is has been over the last two years, the defense has turned in three solid efforts. Now comes the real tests this week against Atlanta, then at Cincy, then against the Saints. These three teams are better either offensively, defensively, or on both sides of the ball than the three teams the Pats just beat.

I'd rephrase: These average QBs looked awful against them. 27 points is 3 games and 50.1% complete is awful. Add in 2 TDs and 4 Ints and you are looking at a QB rating in the 50s.

They have also allowed just 7 20+ pass plays, and 0 40+ as well as 0 20+ runs.

Good call.

2013 NFL Team Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

The Pats' D has allowed opponents to have a QB rating, so far, of 58.7. That's second in the league.

t7th in INTs
t18th in sacks
2nd in opp completion %
4th in opp yds per attempt
t2nd in opp pass TDs
7th in opp pass yds per game

The thing is this: the Pats' pass D used to allow even bad QBs to put up some good numbers. Now, they're abusing bad QBs. There is no question the defense is significantly improved. I am still holding my breath, though, until I see how they perform against good offenses. But nonetheless, we should all be encouraged.

One big thing I think we can all celebrate is that defensive pass interference flags are way down so far. I think that's a combination of better CB play and more respect from officials. Now we just need to get more holding calls.

One big thing I think we can all celebrate is that defensive pass interference flags are way down so far. I think that's a combination of better CB play and more respect from officials. Now we just need to get more holding calls.

The Pats will probably double their total amount of DPI's for the season in the Broncos game alone. :bricks:

Good call.

2013 NFL Team Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

The Pats' D has allowed opponents to have a QB rating, so far, of 58.7. That's second in the league.

t7th in INTs
t18th in sacks
2nd in opp completion %
4th in opp yds per attempt
t2nd in opp pass TDs
7th in opp pass yds per game

The thing is this: the Pats' pass D used to allow even bad QBs to put up some good numbers. Now, they're abusing bad QBs. There is no question the defense is significantly improved. I am still holding my breath, though, until I see how they perform against good offenses. But nonetheless, we should all be encouraged.

The 3 bolded tell the story.
If you are holding teams to a very low completion percentage AND allowing short yardage on the completions, that is strong pass defense.
The TDs speaks for itself.

And the 2 passing TDs allowed were in the first game and one of them was a blown coverage because Talib (right or wrong) thought he had safety help.

We should celebrate the play of the defense. They have certainly done their job.

However, I would wait until the bye before crowning our defense as a top 5 defense, especially against the pass. It's been a very, very long time since a team got to start against two rookie quarterbacks. And we followed this up with playing against 0-2 Freeman, without both his starting tight ends, and with both starting wide receivers injured during the game.

So, kudos to the defense! Kudos to Talib!

But, let's wait a until at least the half way point to dwell on stats (other than the 3-0 stat).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes