PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decade of players "drafted" under BB and Pioli

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did?....Ummm what player could you say right now is a stud? - Vollmer looked pretty decent but thats the only one right now from 2009

Butler didn't have a horrid year but neither did he stand out,Chung played lightly and Pryor filled in O.K. for Vince but Brace showed nothing -I think Vollmer may end up being the best of last years rookies,we shall see.

Name one team with 2 rookie "studs" from last year's draft.

Brace, Chung, Butler, Vollmer, Pryor, Edelman have all contributed this year as rookies.

Top 5? I daresay, according to whom? I would have thought bottom 5 more likely.

Guys like Ozzie Newsome, AJ from the Chargers, former coaches like Jimmie Johnson and Bill Cowher.. There have been plenty of draft articles on this.

We did?....Ummm what player could you say right now is a stud? - Vollmer looked pretty decent but thats the only one right now from 2009

Butler didn't have a horrid year but neither did he stand out,Chung played lightly and Pryor filled in O.K. for Vince but Brace showed nothing -I think Vollmer may end up being the best of last years rookies,we shall see.

Vollmer looks like he'll be a starting NFL tackle for years to come. Butler showed plenty of upside for a top end rookie. Chung also showed quite a bit. Especially on special teams. Brace played better than a lot of people are willing to give him credit for. In the 2 games that he played in, the 1st one he was at least double-teamed on every snap. That's a sign of respect.

Edelman looks to be the real deal as a receiver. Pryor was very solid in the "Jarvis Green type" back-up role.

The jury is still out on McKenzie, Tate, Bussey, Ohrnberger, and Richard.

OH, and Jake Ingram looks to be Lonnie Paxton "Redux" as the long snapper. He didn't have a bad snap all year..

How the hell can you say that the past 4 drafts were "below average" at best when the last one just completed its first year and it looks like the Pats have 8-10 contributors from that draft?

People need to stop attempting to evaluate drafts when they don't know what they are talking about. If you knew anything, you'd know that this season was going to be tough because of the huge transition in leadership. Especially with no OC.

And the 2006 draft looked fantastic untill Andrews got arrested after his 3rd season and they let Chad Jackson go. But, people like yourself who want to be ignorantly brutal forget those sorts of things.

People like yourself also fail to realize that while BB is still a top 3 head coach,he needs help in evaluating players in the draft and stop trading down 1st round talent for more chancy gambles in the mid second while looking towards 3 years from now is not helping Brady in his prime,The defense is in dire need of some talent,while 1st round rated talent does not guarantee anything (see Maroney) it is risky to pass up on a guy you could have at slot #22 or so for 2 guys at #48 and #65 for example.

Look at what Polian does year after year,He even gets what appear to be scrubs like Garcon and Collie and turn them into pretty good receivers,He has a practically no name secondary right now whose players would probably not even start elsewhere - Have you seen a really bad draft by the Colts lately?...I haven't - How do the Colts remain competitive with so much cap being spent on Peyton?,easy its from good drafts and solid evaluations where those players are solid contributors from the get go and it goes on year after year....why they have not won more than one SB is more on Peyton's failure to come up big in crucial games then to blame the team for not making good offseason moves.

The 2006 draft looked good? - :rofl:,Must be still thinking Maroney is a stud,right?

The fact that Maroney was a first rounder is already having you lose your argument...Maroney and his career thus far is playing more like a 3rd rounder at best,while BB of course can't read into the future the fact remains Maroney in round one didn't work out well,he can't even hang on to the ball anymore which was once his strength and obvious reason for him being benched in favor of Morris and Taylor .

Our 1st rounder from 2007, Meriweather has certainly improved and one of our better defenders BUT tackling is not one of his strengths and until he gets that down pat and work at it he won't get to be the complete safety we drafted him to be as a #1.

Chung and Butler the first 2 2009 picks need to play more in 2010 to see what we have there,its not fair to evaluate them in a year they did not play a bunch of games in.

Last edited:
Good point. I'm assuming Pioli had to have done a lot of draft prep before he left last year though. He didn't leave until about this time last year IIRC...

Nick Caserio and the scouting staff were the ones providing the information to BB and Pioli. Why would that change much with Pioli gone and Caserio in Pioli's position?

People like yourself also fail to realize that while BB is still a top 3 head coach,he needs help in evaluating players in the draft and stop trading down 1st round talent for more chancy gambles in the mid second while looking towards 3 years from now is not helping Brady in his prime,The defense is in dire need of some talent,while 1st round rated talent does not guarantee anything (see Maroney) it is risky to pass up on a guy you could have at slot #22 or so for 2 guys at #48 and #65 for example.

*ROFLMAO* You don't have a clue as to what I do and don't realize. BB has help evaluating players in the draft. Nick Caserio was the big name this year but also had help from Floyd Reese.. In previous years, it was Pioli. You seem to not understand that when Pioli was here, a player didn't make the draft board unless BB AND PIOLI agreed on the player.

What was so risky about getting 2 potential starters in Chung and Brace????

Look at what Polian does year after year,He even gets what appear to be scrubs like Garcon and Collie and turn them into pretty good receivers,He has a secondary whose players would probably not even start elsewhere - Have you seen a really bad draft by the Colts lately?...I haven't - How do the Colts remain competitive with so much cap being spent on Peyton?,easy its from good drafts and solid evaluations where those players are solid contributors from the get go.

Then you haven't looked at the Colts really if you think they haven't had a bad draft. You call Collie and Garcon "scrubs" but I see guys who were on my draft board in the 4th - 6th rounds.

The 2006 draft looked good? - :rofl:,Must be still thinking Maroney is a stud,right?

You have a reading comprehension problem I guess. Nothing like misquoting me to try and make yourself look smart. Typical of an arse who is outclassed in a conversation. I said it looked good until Jackson and Andrews were cut. Guess you fail to understand what a qualifier is.

The fact that Maroney was a first rounder is already having you lose your argument...Maroney and his career thus far is playing more like a 3rd rounder at best,while BB of course can't read into the future the fact remains Maroney in round one didn't work out well,he can't even hang on to the ball anymore which was once his strength and reason him being benched for Morris and Taylor .

You clearly didn't watch the last game. Taylor and Morris were both benched with Maroney. WHOOPS. And Taylor and Morris showed they couldn't hold onto the ball either. And Morris, who was supposed to be the "powerback" couldn't even get the short yardage when he was called upon.

The fact that Maroney was a first round pick means he should have been a starter. Period. Only ignorant people thing that ALL 1st rounders should turn into All-Pro Hall of Famers.

Nick Caserio and the scouting staff were the ones providing the information to BB and Pioli. Why would that change much with Pioli gone and Caserio in Pioli's position?
I don't disagree.

A quick question. How does BB win 3 Super Bowls, go to the Super Bowl four times, make the playoffs 7 times and win 7 division championships while getting a C+ draft grade? BB must be doing something right.

Vollmer, Butler, Edelman, and Ingram all showed that they're on track to be good NFL starters. Chung and, to a lesser extent, Brace, didn't get enough playing time, but they might very well join that group.

A quick question. How does BB win 3 Super Bowls, go to the Super Bowl four times, make the playoffs 7 times and win 7 division championships while getting a C+ draft grade? BB must be doing something right.

He is doing a lot of things right but he also won mutiple SB's with a lot of players not drafted by him like McGinest, Milloy, Law, Harrison, Vrabel, Ted Johnson, Bruschi, Faulk, Troy Brown and Roman Phifer. Key players drafted by Belichick include Brady, Light and Seymour who each won three as well as Warren, Wilfork, Samuel and Branch who were on 1 or 2 SB winners. The problems with the Pats drafts began in 2006 IMO. They are not getting the same type of contributors they did in the past. Going into 2010 how many positions are positions of strength for the Pats ? D-Line possibly but 0 pass rush. Is it LB's, no and no. How about the secondary is that a position of strength? Do I even have to answer that. Now offense; OL no, Running game no. TE's no. WR's not when Sam Aiken is your third reciever. QB of course there is Brady but is there any depth? These are the questions that should be answered when debating on how well they draft.

By the way I declare JR Redmond not a bust simply for the screen passes he caught during Brady's game winning drive at the end of SB 36.

Hell that alone was worth a pick LOL

NEW ENGLAND 1:21

1-10-NE 17 (1:21) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to J.R. Redmond to N.E. 22 for 5 yards (Dre' Bly, London Fletcher). Pass 3, Run 2.
2-5-NE 22 :)57) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to J.R. Redmond to N.E. 30 for 8 yards (Aeneas Williams, Tommy Polley). Pass 3, Run 5.
1-10-NE 30 :)41) Tom Brady pass incomplete.
2-10-NE 30 :)41) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to J.R. Redmond pushed ob at N.E. 41 for 11 yards (Tommy Polley, Kim Herring). Pass 0, Run 11.
1-10-NE 41 :)33) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass incomplete.
2-10-NE 41 :)29) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to Troy Brown ran ob at StL. 36 for 23 yards (Adam Archuleta). Pass 14, Run 9.
1-10-STL 36 :)21) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to Jermaine Wiggins to StL. 30 for 6 yards (Dexter McCleon, Leonard Little). Pass 1, Run 5.
2-4-STL 30 :)07) Tom Brady pass incomplete.
3-4-STL 30 :)07) Adam Vinatieri 48 yard field goal is GOOD. Center -- Lonie Paxton. Holder -- Ken Walter.

Thank you for posting this info. Some people don't want to let facts get in the way of their arguments. Redmond was a definite contributor to out first SB win. Calling Wilson a bust and Warren, Mankins, Branch, and Meriweather average is just dumb.

Last edited:

Wow! Did you forget about Edelman already? I would say that 37 catches for a QB turned receiver, who had to step in for Welker is a pretty good pick. Butler will be a starter next year and Chung will be in the mix at safety. Give Brace some time before dumping on him.

C+ my ass, its way better than that.

Thread = Z- or 1 star.

You will NOT get the same result if you do this for other teams. The patriots have been in the top 5 since 2001.

Top 5? I daresay, according to whom? I would have thought bottom 5 more likely.

And I daresay it would be literally impossible for any team to be in the bottom five in drafting over an entire decade, and yet at the same time have nine straight winning seasons, three league championships, and four conference championships.

Take a look at the teams with the top five records for the decade, and it's a safe bet they were all at least among the top ten in drafting over that time period. Take a look at the teams with the five worst records on the decade, and it's a safe bet that they were all among the bottom ten in drafting during the decade.

It's not rocket science - it's just common sense.

ll give a B- . A- for the 2000-2005 drafts and F- to 2006-2009 drafts.

He is doing a lot of things right but he also won mutiple SB's with a lot of players not drafted by him like McGinest, Milloy, Law, Harrison, Vrabel, Ted Johnson, Bruschi, Faulk, Troy Brown and Roman Phifer. Key players drafted by Belichick include Brady, Light and Seymour who each won three as well as Warren, Wilfork, Samuel and Branch who were on 1 or 2 SB winners. The problems with the Pats drafts began in 2006 IMO. They are not getting the same type of contributors they did in the past. Going into 2010 how many positions are positions of strength for the Pats ? D-Line possibly but 0 pass rush. Is it LB's, no and no. How about the secondary is that a position of strength? Do I even have to answer that. Now offense; OL no, Running game no. TE's no. WR's not when Sam Aiken is your third reciever. QB of course there is Brady but is there any depth? These are the questions that should be answered when debating on how well they draft.

Many of those players (e.g., Harrison, Vrabel, Faulk, Phifer, Colvin, Andruzzi) were signed by BB as FAs.

From 2006-2008 it is fair to say they drafted poorly; although for 2007 it is probably more accurate to say they barely drafted at all. We should also not forget that they were loaded at the time and did not have a place for many draft choices. The 2009 class may turn out to be pretty good - we'll see - it didn't help that Tate and McKenzie were hurt.

I also think the defense played better than people think. The Pats outplayed both teams competing in the AFC Championship this Sunday - they beat the Jets and should have beaten the Colts. It is the horrendous performance against the Ravens that makes the season and defense look worse than it really was.

First of all, there is no such thing as an F-. You can't get any worse than "fail."

Second of all, even if you thought that about the 06-08 drafts, how you could include the 2009 draft in that evaluation beggars belief.

In sum, welcome to my ignore list.

Many of those players (e.g., Harrison, Vrabel, Faulk, Phifer, Colvin, Andruzzi) were signed by BB as FAs.

From 2006-2008 it is fair to say they drafted poorly; although for 2007 it is probably more accurate to say they barely drafted at all. We should also not forget that they were loaded at the time and did not have a place for many draft choices. The 2009 class may turn out to be pretty good - we'll see - it didn't help that Tate and McKenzie were hurt.

I also think the defense played better than people think. The Pats outplayed both teams competing in the AFC Championship this Sunday - they beat the Jets and should have beaten the Colts. It is the horrendous performance against the Ravens that makes the season and defense look worse than it really was.

Agreed, but just mentioning that Faulk was drafted by the Patriots.

I recognize your concern over recent drafts. I'll give them an "A" for ABYSMAL. They have been bad. Small chance that 2009 will work out, although with Brace already being declared a bust on here by some knowledgeable posters, well it doesn't look good.

Vollmer, Edelmen and Butler, I do have high hopes for. Jury still out on Chung, Pryor looks promising although we need a 1 gaap to highlight his skills, I do believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft