PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decade of players "drafted" under BB and Pioli

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will NOT get the same result if you do this for other teams. The patriots have been in the top 5 since 2001.

I wouldn't call Ben Watson, Eugene Wilson or Nick Kaczur busts, they all started for multiple years.

Do this for any team and you will get the same result, the draft is a crapshoot.

I remember back in the late 1990s how many Patriot fans would have called the following guys average and/or busts:

Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, Damien Woody, Kevin Faulk, Chris Slade, Greg Spires, Brandon Mitchell.

Flash forward five to ten years, and all those players were anything but average or busts except for Slade who had a Pro Bowl year and then faded out with injuries. Mitchell was not more than average but in the Super Bowl year he was excellent and really got after it.

A few years down the road, the draft has a funny way of looking good.

I hold out a lot of hope for Chung, Butler, Vollmer, Pryor, Edelman from this year's draft, Meriwether and Sanders from past drafts, and I can easily imagine that Wheatley, Wilhite, Brace and the like become talented backups.

Tate and McKenzie are big question marks.

Crable is the only one I am really down on.

I only have one question... why is drafted "quoted"? BB is a draft-faker!

You will NOT get the same result if you do this for other teams. The patriots have been in the top 5 since 2001.

Well what I meant is that there are failures in every draft for every team. I think the Pats do a better job than most in both the draft and FA.

I mean Christ, one of our picks died. Who saw that coming?

By the way I declare JR Redmond not a bust simply for the screen passes he caught during Brady's game winning drive at the end of SB 36.

Hell that alone was worth a pick LOL

NEW ENGLAND 1:21

1-10-NE 17 (1:21) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to J.R. Redmond to N.E. 22 for 5 yards (Dre' Bly, London Fletcher). Pass 3, Run 2.
2-5-NE 22 :)57) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to J.R. Redmond to N.E. 30 for 8 yards (Aeneas Williams, Tommy Polley). Pass 3, Run 5.
1-10-NE 30 :)41) Tom Brady pass incomplete.
2-10-NE 30 :)41) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to J.R. Redmond pushed ob at N.E. 41 for 11 yards (Tommy Polley, Kim Herring). Pass 0, Run 11.
1-10-NE 41 :)33) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass incomplete.
2-10-NE 41 :)29) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to Troy Brown ran ob at StL. 36 for 23 yards (Adam Archuleta). Pass 14, Run 9.
1-10-STL 36 :)21) (Shotgun) Tom Brady pass to Jermaine Wiggins to StL. 30 for 6 yards (Dexter McCleon, Leonard Little). Pass 1, Run 5.
2-4-STL 30 :)07) Tom Brady pass incomplete.
3-4-STL 30 :)07) Adam Vinatieri 48 yard field goal is GOOD. Center -- Lonie Paxton. Holder -- Ken Walter.

Last edited:

Top 5? I daresay, according to whom? I would have thought bottom 5 more likely.

Wait until we get closer to the draft. There will be lots of articles on the best teams at drafting. The consenus over the past ten years has been that the best are the giants, colts, cowboys, chargers and the patriots. For example, the 2009 draft was rated a B+ or better by almost everyone. Kiper has recently revisited and given the patriots an A-.

Top 5? I daresay, according to whom? I would have thought bottom 5 more likely.

umm, not sure what u consider a bust, but u cannot place kazcur on such a list

a 4 yr starter in the NFL is in no way a bust

Last edited:
Every player we have drafted is a bust. No defenitions are needed.

umm, not sure what u consider a bust, but u cannot place kazcur on such a list

a 5 yr starter in the NFL is in no way a bust

How long is the average NFL career? I'd consider a 4 year starter a hit.

Here it goes for the Decade...looking at Rds 1-3 primarily as these are typically considered prospects that should make the team and be strong contributors as the roster churns annually.

32 total selected in rd 1-3
16 on Offense
16 on Defense

excluding 2009 draftees....
MAJOR IMPACT (Seymour, Light, Wilfork, Warren, Mankins) - 5
AVG CONTRIBUTION (Graham, Warren, Branch, Meriweather, Mankins, Hobbs) - 5
BUSTS (Klemm, Redmond, Williams, Davey, Wilson, Johnson, Watson, Hill, Scott, Kaczur, Jackson, Thomas, Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell) - 15

Most alarming is the number of Rd #2 picks and how many turned out to be complete busts....:eek:

2000 Belichick had to rely on the information that Bobby Grier provided. Which was junk.
2. Adrian Klemm Wasn't a complete bust as he did start a few games each year with the Pats before ending up on the IR.
3. JR Redmond Wasn't a bust. Was a gtood special teamer and did put up some numbers when called upon. Most people only remember the 1 fumble he had against Buffalo. But without Redmond, the Pats don't win the Snow Bowl.

1. R. Seymour
2. M. Light
3. Brock Williams

1. D. Graham
2. D. Branch
3. R. Davey Davey wasn't a 3rd round pick. He was a 4th round pick.

1. Ty Warren
2. E. Wilson Guy is a 4 year starter for the Pats at a position he didn't play in college and you consider him a bust?
2. B. Johnson Wasn't a complete bust. Just never fit into the program.

1. V. Wilfork
2. B. Watson
2. M. Hill Wasn't a bust by any stretch of the imagination. The Pats wouldn't have turned his locker into a permanent exhibit in the lockerroom if that was the case.
3. Gus Scott

1. L. Mankins
3. E. Hobbs
3. N. Kaczur

1. L. Maroney
2. C. Jackson The only true BUST other than O'Connell
3. D. Thomas

1. B. Merriweather

1. Mayo
2. Wheatley
3. Crable
3. K. O'Connell

2. Chung
2. Brace
2. Butler
2. Vollmer
3. Tate
3. Mackenzie

Draft Grade for the Decade = C+

Your ideas of what is a bust and what is "average contribution" are way out of whack. You have Warren, Graham and Mankins as "AVG. Contributions"??? What are you smoking? Paint thinner???

Other than guys who are cut and are totally out of the league, you can't judge players who have less than 3 years experience.

The fact that you think so lowly of Warren (who has been one of the best D-lineman for the Pats since he became a starter), Meriweather, Wilson, Graham and even Kaczur, shows the lack of understanding of the game of football that you possess.

Your post comes under the following: "EPIC FAIL"

It is what it is. Call it useeless or useful. For the # of picks PAts had this decade, the results are not that stellar. Now put back your myopic glasses

Only if you think like an ignorant moron is what you said the case.

Your opinion is basically BS and your evaluations of the players is based on nothing. Certainly not how they did on the football field, that's for sure. Only 5 of the 15 "busts" you mentioned actually did nothing for the Pats. The other 10 either were regular contributors or can't be evaluated yet.

Last edited:
3 Super Bowls. 'Nuff said.

Don't live in the past,I think the main reason for this thread should be more to base it more on the past 4 drafts which were below average at best...If you are not improving your youth through the draft successfully you will fall eventually..its all in the cards.

You can't keep on having your star players getting older year after year and only pick up one or maybe two draft picks that turn to be half decent,you have to hit on more than that IMO.

Thats where I think losing Dimitroff hurt a bit and then bye to Pioli only made it worse.

Last edited:
Its not useless.
It is the reason why the JETS are playing in the AFC Championship next week and the PATS are sitting at home drinking beer

It is useless because it has no foundation in reality. Even if it was 90% fact (which it isn't) it would only be part of the reason the Jets are in the AFCC game.

Don't live in the past,I think the main reason for this thread should be more to base it more on the past 4 drafts which were below average at best...If you are not improving your youth through the draft successfully you will fall eventually..its all in the cards.

You can't keep on having your star players getting older year after year and only pick up one or two good solid draft picks,you have to hit on more than that IMO.

Thats where I think losing Dimitroff hurt a bit and then bye to Pioli only made it worse.

But, but, but.... the poor drafts were made during the years the talent gurus were here.

Last year, there was no Dimitroff and Pioli, and we had one of our better drafts.

You can't keep on having your star players getting older year after year and only pick up one or two good solid draft picks,you have to hit on more than that IMO.

How the hell can you say that the past 4 drafts were "below average" at best when the last one just completed its first year and it looks like the Pats have 8-10 contributors from that draft?

People need to stop attempting to evaluate drafts when they don't know what they are talking about. If you knew anything, you'd know that this season was going to be tough because of the huge transition in leadership. Especially with no OC.

And the 2006 draft looked fantastic untill Andrews got arrested after his 3rd season and they let Chad Jackson go. But, people like yourself who want to be ignorantly brutal forget those sorts of things.

But, but, but.... the poor drafts were made during the years the talent gurus were here.

Last year, there was no Dimitroff and Pioli, and we had one of our better drafts.

We did?....Ummm what player could you say right now is a stud? - Vollmer looked pretty decent but thats the only one right now from 2009

Butler didn't have a horrid year but neither did he stand out,Chung played lightly and Pryor filled in O.K. for Vince but Brace showed nothing -I think Vollmer may end up being the best of last years rookies,we shall see.

Stick to your uneducated guesses cause that's your ceiling chump:rolleyes:

You should follow your own advice because if Bauer's ceiling is uneducated guesses, that is about 1000 times smarter than the ignorance you've posted.

Good point. I'm assuming Pioli had to have done a lot of draft prep before he left last year though. He didn't leave until about this time last year IIRC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots