PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decade of players "drafted" under BB and Pioli

Status
Not open for further replies.
The description of Maroney as a disappointment is my opinion of him. If a running back drafted in the first round getting 750 yards is your idea of a successful pick than thats setting the bar pretty low. I called Maroney a part time starter which he is and Whilite a nickel back which is what he ended the season as. Did he (Maroney) or did he not get benched towards the end of the year?

If you consider Maroney a part-timer, to this point in his career, then what is Mendenhall? Barely a starter?

Last edited:
If you consider Maroney a part-timer, to this point in his career, then what is Mendenhall? Barely a starter?

I would call Mendenhall a starter, which he is. What point in his career are you refering to?

Mendenhall 2009 242 rushes 1108 yards 4.6 avg 7 td

Maroney 2009 194 rushes 757 yards 3.9 avg 9 td

I would call Mendenhall a starter, which he is. What point in his career are you refering to?

Number of rushes don't tell the whole story. What percentage of snaps did each player play? Unless you want to argue that staying in to pass protect doesn't count because he doesn't touch the ball.

Maroney is the team's #1 RB. That's the starter, whether you like it or not.

He did not and will open as the starter in 2010... again. Your supposition of what a 1st RB SHOULD be is meaningless to the discussion. Maroney has clearly done a -good- job of doing what he has been ASKED to do by the team that actually drafted him.

Call Wilhite whatever you want, you cannot argue against the fact that he had more snaps than any other CB except Bodden. That's a simple fact, and doesn't really matter what you believe it to be or what you want to make it look like based on your subjective criteria of who played the first snap in the last couple of games. Plus since when can a team survive WITHOUT a nickel back?

Way to use the future as a point of reference. Did BB tell you that personally? Click on Price's blog, he has some interesting thoughts.
Maybe I'm not the only one who considers him a disappointment.

It Is What It Is Patriots by position: Running back

Here's one quote:
"If the Patriots believe Maroney (the only running back who averaged less than four yards a carry) is a goner — and based on how he finished the season, he could be "

Here's another:
"After a first-quarter goal-line fumble against the Jaguars on Dec. 27, Maroney had one carry the rest of the way — that includes the playoffs."

And one more:
"2009, in three sentences: Unreliable. The New England ground game had its good moments — in 10 of the regular-season 16 games, the Patriots had 100-plus rushing yards. But almost every time they were counted to deliver in a big moment (Morris’ key fourth-down conversion against Atlanta was an exception, rather than the rule) the New England running backs came up short."

Way to use the future as a point of reference. Did BB tell you that personally?

You refuse to accept the past and the present, that's all that is left. Maroney is the #1 RB, Maroney is the starting RB, this is fact not opinion.

Click on Price's blog, he has some interesting thoughts.
Maybe I'm not the only one who considers him a disappointment.

No offense, but I can look at the facts and not let a blogger's opinion effect the obvious.

"If the Patriots believe Maroney (the only running back who averaged less than four yards a carry) is a goner — and based on how he finished the season, he could be "

Talk about future as a reference, let's throw in wild speculation at that. People want to use his YPC this year but yet refuse to acknowledge his career YPC. It's one of those funny things where you ignore any fact that goes against your argument.

"After a first-quarter goal-line fumble against the Jaguars on Dec. 27, Maroney had one carry the rest of the way — that includes the playoffs."

Logic and facts still don't help you see the obvious? Fred Taylor needed to get in work before the playoffs. Kevin Faulk was inactive for the Houston game as well. Maroney needed rest the most out of any of the RBs. No RB aside from Faulk had more than 2 carries in the playoffs. Maroney - 1, Morris - 1, Taylor - 2. The game got out of hand in a hurry and the Patriots were forced into passing situations. But let's just continue ignoring obvious facts because it doesn't support what you want the situation to be.

"2009, in three sentences: Unreliable. The New England ground game had its good moments — in 10 of the regular-season 16 games, the Patriots had 100-plus rushing yards. But almost every time they were counted to deliver in a big moment (Morris’ key fourth-down conversion against Atlanta was an exception, rather than the rule) the New England running backs came up short."

The running game as a whole was only decent, more to do with the OL than the RBs. That has nothing to do with the discussion. But keep letting a blogger feed you your opinion...

The ONLY reason you or anyone is talking negatively about Maroney is because of your assumptions of what a "1st round RB" should be. You immediately had unfair expectations when the Patriots drafted him and he's never lived up to YOUR expectations. That does NOT mean he hasn't lived up to the Patriots expectations nor does it mean they don't believe he is doing what is asked of him.

In the end, the bottom line is that Maroney is NOT a "failure" of a draft pick. This discussion is about the draft, and Maroney was a successful pick. Go back and look at all the true busts from NFL drafts.

Did anyone bother to check, I did and guess what, Faulk was on the field for 73 more snaps than Maroney 445 to 372. I guess that would make him the starter.
For those wondering Maroney only played 30% of the snaps.

ProFootballFocus.com - By Position

Faulk was the 3rd down back. Belichick himself set Faulk apart from his other running backs. Maroney was the starting running back. That's just reality.

Last edited:
You refuse to accept the past and the present, that's all that is left. Maroney is the #1 RB, Maroney is the starting RB, this is fact not opinion.

No offense, but I can look at the facts and not let a blogger's opinion effect the obvious.

Talk about future as a reference, let's throw in wild speculation at that. People want to use his YPC this year but yet refuse to acknowledge his career YPC. It's one of those funny things where you ignore any fact that goes against your argument.

Logic and facts still don't help you see the obvious? Fred Taylor needed to get in work before the playoffs. Kevin Faulk was inactive for the Houston game as well. Maroney needed rest the most out of any of the RBs. No RB aside from Faulk had more than 2 carries in the playoffs. Maroney - 1, Morris - 1, Taylor - 2. The game got out of hand in a hurry and the Patriots were forced into passing situations. But let's just continue ignoring obvious facts because it doesn't support what you want the situation to be.

The running game as a whole was only decent, more to do with the OL than the RBs. That has nothing to do with the discussion. But keep letting a blogger feed you your opinion...

The ONLY reason you or anyone is talking negatively about Maroney is because of your assumptions of what a "1st round RB" should be. You immediately had unfair expectations when the Patriots drafted him and he's never lived up to YOUR expectations. That does NOT mean he hasn't lived up to the Patriots expectations nor does it mean they don't believe he is doing what is asked of him.

In the end, the bottom line is that Maroney is NOT a "failure" of a draft pick. This discussion is about the draft, and Maroney was a successful pick. Go back and look at all the true busts from NFL drafts.

Same website has Maroney rated 119th out of the 131 rinning backs in 09.
I think that means that they don't have the highest opinion of him. But you do, Are you his agent? And once again, I never called him a bust.

Same website has Maroney rated 119th out of the 131 rinning backs in 09.
I think that means that they don't have the highest opinion of him. But you do, Are you his agent? And once again, I never called him a bust.

No one is calling Maroney the best RB in the league. You are rating the Patriots draft history. Maroney has been GOOD for the patriots and is their starting RB. This is a GOOD thing for the patriots draft, not the terrible thing you make it out to be. Now keep grasping for straws all you want.

Fact of the matter is Maroney is a fairly decent RB and the Patriots starting RB. The patriots have shown they will not hesitate to drop or trade away anyone that does not offer them value. Check out Chad Jackson, O'Connell, Lewis, Galloway etc.. down the line. They don't hold on to a guy and keep starting him just for the hell of it.

No one is calling Maroney the best RB in the league. You are rating the Patriots draft history. Maroney has been GOOD for the patriots and is their starting RB. This is a GOOD thing for the patriots draft, not the terrible thing you make it out to be. Now keep grasping for straws all you want.

Fact of the matter is Maroney is a fairly decent RB and the Patriots starting RB. The patriots have shown they will not hesitate to drop or trade away anyone that does not offer them value. Check out Chad Jackson, O'Connell, Lewis, Galloway etc.. down the line. They don't hold on to a guy and keep starting him just for the hell of it.

I'll agree to fairly decent.

I think Deus has hit it on the head right here.

Faulk was the 3rd down back. Belichick himself set Faulk apart from his other running backs. Maroney was the starting running back. That's just reality.

I have stayed out of the Maroney debates until now. One carry for two yards after that last fumble. I remember it well---because my 12 yo son was jumping up and down yelling RUUUNNNN as Maroney danced another jig before falling forward for his two yards.

Of the 5 RBs that were on the active roster this past season I wouldn't be surprised if 2, possibly 3 of them are gone before the 2010 opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back