PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decade of players "drafted" under BB and Pioli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft Grade for the Decade = C+

I sort of think its a C+ too. But to be fair you would have to compare these results to those of the other teams. I am guessing the Pats would rank in the lower middle, but I really don't know.

I sort of think its a C+ too. But to be fair you would have to compare these results to those of the other teams. I am guessing the Pats would rank in the lower middle, but I really don't know.

Then you should probably avoid speculating, lest you look foolish.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
  • If you are going to label draft picks as studs or busts, you need some specifics and metrics for those labels.
  • If you are going to grade a team's draft, then you need to compare them to all 31 other teams. Without that comparison we have no idea if 25% is good, or if 75% is bad.
  • If you are going to grade drafts, you have to determine the effects of trades and original draft positions. If I trade all my picks for current players and picks next year, with the exception of a 7th round compensatory pick who gets cut, does that mean my team earns an F? If I have six picks in the first two rounds and two are good, does that mean I get an 'A' even if the four others were horrible picks?
  • If you are going to say 'we passed over this guy', then you have to do the same thing for every other team that passed by that player. And if you are going to point out every player that didn't work out, then you have to do the same thing for all 31 other teams.

Don't fret JackBauer, the biggest Patriots rump-swab you'll ever find. The biggest BB aplogist you will ever find. Absolutely comical to disbelief !

Welcome to my ignore list.

Please define your evaluation criteria; as I would add Maroney, Watson, Kaczur into the average contribution area, as well as Wilson. I would push Warren into major impact. I would also remove the 4th round picks that you include (Davey is the first that leapt out at me). I would also try to get my facts straight (Watson was a 1st rounder BTW etc)

Here it goes for the Decade...looking at Rds 1-3 primarily as these are typically considered prospects that should make the team and be strong contributors as the roster churns annually.

32 total selected in rd 1-3
16 on Offense
16 on Defense

excluding 2009 draftees....
MAJOR IMPACT (Seymour, Light, Wilfork, Warren, Mankins) - 5
AVG CONTRIBUTION (Graham, Warren, Branch, Meriweather, Mankins, Hobbs) - 5
BUSTS (Klemm, Redmond, Williams, Davey, Wilson, Johnson, Watson, Hill, Scott, Kaczur, Jackson, Thomas, Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell) - 15

Most alarming is the number of Rd #2 picks and how many turned out to be complete busts....:eek:

2. Adrian Klemm
3. JR Redmond

1. R. Seymour
2. M. Light
3. Brock Williams

1. D. Graham
2. D. Branch
3. R. Davey

1. Ty Warren
2. E. Wilson
2. B. Johnson

1. V. Wilfork
2. B. Watson
2. M. Hill
3. Gus Scott

1. L. Mankins
3. E. Hobbs
3. N. Kaczur

1. L. Maroney
2. C. Jackson
3. D. Thomas

1. B. Merriweather

1. Mayo
2. Wheatley
3. Crable
3. K. O'Connell

2. Chung
2. Brace
2. Butler
2. Vollmer
3. Tate
3. Mackenzie

Draft Grade for the Decade = C+

I liked where you were going here, then I read the post >.< It's really sad how you just threw the info you chose to throw up there, and didnt include all of the information needed to truly throw things into question. Thats the problem here. You picked a subject and a thread that would take up a lot of time to research and compile, and just the fact that you thought about doing it is admirable but, the post was really lazy. I could sit here and go on and on about many of those draft picks that you labeled a bust, or avg. contributors, but I wont. Why? Because Im lazy.

As a poster said before me. 3 SB's. 'Nuff said!

Can a thread get closed for sucking so bad?

Everybody is having a big ole' group hug circle cry, nice. Interestingly at the end of the Chargers game the announcer pointed out that Peyton Manning will be playing in his third AFC Championship game. Think about it and step away from the ledge. There are 3 shiny Lombardi's in a case in Foxboro. Great decade, many more wins to come.

kind of shocked at how many busts actually - but i dont know how that compare to other teams busts...but man - some of these names just make me cringe

Uh, only if you have a bias and totally underrate players.

Eugene Wilson wasn't a bust. He gave us three excellent years of play, and then fell off the map after injuries and concussions.

If Deion Branch's contributions were average, here's hoping we draft a bunch of average players.

Deion caught 21 passes in 2 Super Bowls, and then landed us a first rounder in a trade.

That's average?

You can't say Meriwether is average either.

Hill as a bust? WTF? The guy died trying to save someone else after spending only 3 years in the system. Sorry, but you have to exclude him IMO:(:confused:

Last edited:
Its not useless.
It is the reason why the JETS are playing in the AFC Championship next week and the PATS are sitting at home drinking beer

Then show me the drafts AFTER they won Super Bowls, because I seem to remember BUSTS like JR Redmond and Eugene Wilson playing in Super Bowls.

Why begin with 2000?

QBs
All Pro QB: Tom Brady
QB: Matt Cassel (3,693 / 21 TDs / 11 INTs)

WRs
SB MVP WR: Deion Branch
WR: David Givens (#2 WR on two SB teams)
WR: Julian Edelman

O-Line
All-Pro LT: Matt Light
All-Pro LG: Logan Mankins
All-Pro C: Dan Koppen
LT: Sebastian Vollmer

D-Line
All-Pro DE: Richard Seymour
All-Pro NT: Vince Wilfork
DE: Ty Warren
DE: Jarvis Green

LBs
DROTY LB: Jerod Mayo
LB: Tully Banta-Cain (10 sack season)

Secondary
Pro-Bowl SS: Brandon Meriweather
FS: James Sanders
FS: Eugene Wilson

Special Teams
All-Pro K: Stephen Gostkowski

Final Grade: C+

0901px-laughing-l.jpg

Last edited:
Sanders, Cassel, Gostkowski, a guy that had 10 sacks this year, David Givens, Jarvis Green, and a guy that has the most completions in a Super Bowl, most TD passes in a season, and 3 Super Bowl victories, were left off the drafting list.

Last edited:
Don't fret JackBauer, the biggest Patriots rump-swab you'll ever find. The biggest BB aplogist you will ever find. Absolutely comical to disbelief !

You get points for using "rump swab", still trying to find a definitin of that although I can guess, I guess.

I guess you can't criticize drafts at all. Seems like a lot of picks were head-scratchers (Guss Scott? Dexter Reid?) and amounted to nothing. 3 SBs is great but the future is based on past drafts and right now that's looking iffy.

Pulling no good players out of a draft for 2 or 3 years in a row leaves you very dependent on the FA market, which can be very pricey.

I don't understand why ur list only covers round 1-3.

Perhaps it's because listing the names of late round picks this decade[Asante Samuel, Julian Edelman, Matt Cassel, TOM BRADY] would disprove ur theory.

And let's not even begin on the UDFA's.

You are posting select information to get a select response from the negative part of this fanbase who would have us fire BB, trade Tom Brady, and cut Randy Moss because they simply aren't doing enough for this franchise. Oh well, negative ppl will be negative I guess.

BUSTS (Klemm, Redmond, Williams, Davey, Wilson, Johnson, Watson, Hill, Scott, Kaczur, Jackson, Thomas, Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell) - 15

Maybe someone needs to explain to you what a BUST is.

Being a multi-year starter, major injuries or dieing do not make you a BUST.

Watson was a first round pick not a 2nd rounder either.

Please define your evaluation criteria; as I would add Maroney, Watson, Kaczur into the average contribution area, as well as Wilson. I would push Warren into major impact. I would also remove the 4th round picks that you include (Davey is the first that leapt out at me). I would also try to get my facts straight (Watson was a 1st rounder BTW etc)

While we're on the subject, I read the lists 3 times... am I dyslexic or do Maroney and Mayo not show up in ANY of these ad-hoc categories?

As for Marquise Hill, although he'd been kept around as a spare Seymour, it's really hard to call him a bust. He sat behind a dominant crew for a couple of years, and then, well, you know the rest. Please don't tell me drowning now means you are "made of glass."

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft