PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dear Millennial Patsfans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse for me as an older dad. Last year, they had school next day, and I said go to bed. Big mistake. :)

We had to go through the Superbowl over and over.

This year he is into it. Might have to call him out at sick. But he isn't missing this Superbowl live anymore at ten. He's smart as hell and can get through school for one day.

Last year daddy instincts got in the way of moments. Not again.

Boy is staying up come hell or high water. :D

My wife had told my daughter she could stay up to watch the Superbowl, but when the Patriots were getting killed she tried to go back on that. My daughter argued that she told her she could stay up so my wife relented.

When James White scored the winning TD my daughter looked over at my wife and said "You almost made me miss this!"

Coincidentally I got home from watching that movie just in time to catch this play. One of those game-switch deals IIRC...

I watched that game at my grand parents house. Man times have changed.

This brings up two observations... neither is original...

1) Are you a millennial? I ask because millennials are infamously - and intelligently - impervious to brand loyalty.

I'm not particularly brand-loyal, but I do admit that to me, there's Sam Adams (and maybe their light Boston lager,) then there's fru-fru Sam Adams flavors and all other "craft beers," then there's mule piss, AKA your Buds, Bud Lights, Coors, etc., which all taste disturbingly similar (although this is only a consideration for the first few, after which there are two flavors, "more" and "I'm going to throw up.") Beer brand loyalty might or might not be an exception... but people my age (in my 50s) pick a product and stick with it much more than millennials do - even when it makes no sense, or at least less sense. My wife is in her 60s and is even more in this habit. You only need 1 brand of mayonnaise, 1 kind of mustard (yellow, usually French's) etc.

So one of the ways that I think millennials are amazing is that they're not brand-loyal - perhaps sometimes to their detriment, but generally to their benefit.

Counterpoint: Eliminating brand loyalty probably ties into the stereotype of mistrust of elders, authorities, organizations, etc. You can end up re-inventing a lot of wheels that way... and boy have we old folks seen a lot of "kids" come through our offices with breakthrough ideas that have been tried and discarded. Counter-counterpoint: But we also can't see how it's different now (i.e., we're immigrants, not natives, to the technology millennials grew up using.)

Also, unfiltered information products are unfiltered information products. This should be understood in both its negative and its positive implications, when you're considering whether the brand is significant. A Russian botnet and a professional journalist will deliver somewhat different products.

2) The other thing is, however rational or irrational we are elsewhere in life, we're completely irrational when we describe ourselves as fans. It's short for fanatic.

So no, I can't say someone's a Pats fan if he shopped for the best team around, and will ditch the team if things get tough - the apparently rational approach, which assumes that one will always reap the emotional highs of good seasons, and never suffer through runs of poor performance.

The catch is that the emotional payback of team loyalty (1) underlies the concept of fanhood, and more usefully, (2) is far superior when you go from bad to good, than when you go from good to great to good to great etc. That's why I wrote to millennials, to encourage the ones with the emotional equipment to hang with the team if bad times come again... and try to impart the thrill of all those memories culminating in this dynasty.

You won't have the same series of events no matter what happens, from here on in.... but I wanted to impart the value of being a fan.

People who do the apparently rational thing and root for the next team with an awesome coach and awesome players are not likely to experience the same highs, being unwilling or unable to abide the lows.

Also, look on the bright side: You can fearlessly gripe about coaching and management when your team sucks. Right now, if you want to ***** about the team's defensive philosophy, its playcalling, its drafting, etc., it's a free country... but the null hypothesis right now is "In Bill We Trust." It's a heavy lift.

Nobody ever said "In **** MacPherson We Trust." Evah.

The suckier your team is, the more you can look wicked smaht when you scream directions at the television.

That was good, thanks!

Rank tribalism and familial like loyalty is the main reason being a fan is fun. It's why we refer to the Patriots as "we" and not "them". Rationality would ruin the sports experience, IMO.

(FWIW I'm 47, lived in MA most of my life, and hope to bleed Patriot red, white and blue till I join the choir eternal even if they go 0-16 from now on.

I did recently change brands of Mayonnaise though. I live in the South now and they prefer Duke's here, instead of Kraft or Helmans, and it's soooo much better.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents