PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dean Pees is the new LB coach of the Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking about just this season. The Pats have not been a traditional blitz-heavy unit on defense over the years. The way Ray Lewis and the Ravens play defense is not the same way we play defense. Pees has been the coordinator of our more conservative 3-4 as opposed to the more attacking 3-4 the Ravens run.

Blitzing is considered bringing more than 4 guys, and we brought 5 guys more often as the season went on b/c we struggled getting a push with just 4. But we didn't bring 6 or 7 guys on blitzes like the Ravens do pretty consistently throughout the game. Compared to the Ravens, I'd call us a more passive unit. We like to protect against the big play and we bend but don't break.

It will be interesting to see if how the players feel about Pees in Baltimore, especially guys like Suggs and Lewis.

My point is that Pees ran BB's defense, that doesn't make him a bad fit for another style of defense. Maybe Pees was a bad fit for BB's style of defense. I believe what BB hates, more than anything, are big plays and quick scores. Defenses that get overly aggressive and/or blitz a lot, leave themselves open for big plays.

Plus Pees is LB coach, not DC.

Last edited:
My point is that Pees ran BB's defense, that doesn't make him a bad fit for another style of defense. Maybe Pees was a bad fit for BB's style of defense. I believe what BB hates, more than anything, are big plays and quick scores. Defenses that get overly aggressive and/or blitz a lot, leave themselves open for big plays.

Plus Pees is LB coach, not DC.

Maybe he was a bad fit for Belichick's style. But if he was a bad fit, why would he get the axe? I wasn't talking about Pees having a say in playcalling in Baltimore, I was talking about him working with the LB's. It will be interesting to see what Ray Lewis thinks about him.

I agree that BB hates big plays more than anything. That's why he likes to force teams to take a lot of time and check down to drive down the field. The more plays they have to run, the greater the chance they make a mistake.

I think he also feels if the opponents take 8 minutes to drive down and only get a FG out of it, it's a success especially with Brady at QB. That's the essence of the bend but don't break. Say the other team gets 8 possessions and gets into the red zone 4 times. You hold them to 3 FG's and a TD and that's only 16 points, while they've chewed up the clock having to drive the length of the field slow and methodically on you. It can also frustrate opposing teams to drive all the way down the field and consistently be held to 3 points (see the Chargers in 2007 AFCCG). Personally, I prefer the Ravens, Jets, Steelers, etc. way of defense where they get after it more. I like the fact that these styles of defense disrupt the rhythm of an offense and can put you on your heels early like the Ravens did to us a few weeks ago.

Pees will do well over there as a LB coach.

Does that mean we'll see the headline: "Dean Pees on the Ravens'"? :cool2:

Maybe he was a bad fit for Belichick's style. But if he was a bad fit, why would he get the axe? I wasn't talking about Pees having a say in playcalling in Baltimore, I was talking about him working with the LB's. It will be interesting to see what Ray Lewis thinks about him.

I agree that BB hates big plays more than anything. That's why he likes to force teams to take a lot of time and check down to drive down the field. The more plays they have to run, the greater the chance they make a mistake.

I think he also feels if the opponents take 8 minutes to drive down and only get a FG out of it, it's a success especially with Brady at QB. That's the essence of the bend but don't break. Say the other team gets 8 possessions and gets into the red zone 4 times. You hold them to 3 FG's and a TD and that's only 16 points, while they've chewed up the clock having to drive the length of the field slow and methodically on you. It can also frustrate opposing teams to drive all the way down the field and consistently be held to 3 points (see the Chargers in 2007 AFCCG). Personally, I prefer the Ravens, Jets, Steelers, etc. way of defense where they get after it more. I like the fact that these styles of defense disrupt the rhythm of an offense and can put you on your heels early like the Ravens did to us a few weeks ago.

yeah, that's great when you hold them to fg's, but when they consisitently punch it in on you it doesn't look so great.

yeah, that's great when you hold them to fg's, but when they consisitently punch it in on you it doesn't look so great.

I completely agree with you. That's why I added that I prefer the aggressive style of defense the Jets Steelers Ravens etc play. Those teams force more turnovers and impose their will on you. They disrupt you're rhythm and put you on your heels. It forces the QB to make quick decisions and doesn't give the WR's a lot of time to get open.

I hate banking on the other team making the mistake or stalling out by themselves. I'd rather see the defense force the mistake or force the 3 and out. You're not going to get QB's like Manning and Brees to beat themselves. Hell, we couldn't even get Henne in Miami or Sanchez in NY to beat themselves.

I'm not talking about just this season. The Pats have not been a traditional blitz-heavy unit on defense over the years. The way Ray Lewis and the Ravens play defense is not the same way we play defense. Pees has been the coordinator of our more conservative 3-4 as opposed to the more attacking 3-4 the Ravens run.

Blitzing is considered bringing more than 4 guys, and we brought 5 guys more often as the season went on b/c we struggled getting a push with just 4. But we didn't bring 6 or 7 guys on blitzes like the Ravens do pretty consistently throughout the game. Compared to the Ravens, I'd call us a more passive unit. We like to protect against the big play and we bend but don't break.

It will be interesting to see if how the players feel about Pees in Baltimore, especially guys like Suggs and Lewis.

you're thinking of the rex ryan ravens of yesteryear.
against the pats, I think the ravens brought more than 4 maybe 8 plays of 68 --- half of those 8 plays being 6+ rushers.
I don't know what the league average is, but I wouldn't say that's a tremendous amount.

Whom did Mr. Peesbody replace as LB coach? Maybe we can hire that guy as our DC...

There is another possibility here. With his recent health problems, maybe he wanted less responsibility, but keep coaching. So it is possible that both he and the team agreed to part ways and he went looking for a gig with less responsibility.

Re: Dean Pees the new LB coach of the Ravens

I dont understand why Pees would take a demotion, he could have got another DC job somewhere

Why do you think that?

People rise until their own incompetence. Pees isn't a good D-Coordinator. He'll probably be a good LB coach.

This will be about as close as we can get to seeing BB fire someone for not performing.

I completely agree with you. That's why I added that I prefer the aggressive style of defense the Jets Steelers Ravens etc play. Those teams force more turnovers and impose their will on you. They disrupt you're rhythm and put you on your heels. It forces the QB to make quick decisions and doesn't give the WR's a lot of time to get open.

I hate banking on the other team making the mistake or stalling out by themselves. I'd rather see the defense force the mistake or force the 3 and out. You're not going to get QB's like Manning and Brees to beat themselves. Hell, we couldn't even get Henne in Miami or Sanchez in NY to beat themselves.

7th in the NFL in blitzes. Hopefully people will eventually stop with the "aggressive style" stuff when they figure out that aggressive play issues were not the problem.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, they were probably about 25th in the first half of the season, and 1st in the second half...and the defense was better in the second half.

It wasn't the lack of blitzing, it was the lack of anyone getting to the QB, whether or not they blitzed.

7th in the NFL in blitzes. Hopefully people will eventually stop with the "aggressive style" stuff when they figure out that aggressive play issues were not the problem.

I'm not talking about the # of blitzes. It's more about the scheme. Belichick's defense has never been an "aggressive unit." It's always been about reading and reacting and controlling gaps. People are referring to the "aggressive style" of the one gap vs the more conservative style of the two gap we've played.

One example I can think of is in the Ravens playoff game when the Ravens brought 3 LB's through the A-Gap and collapsed the pocket. We never do those types of things. We started to bring 5 rushers b/c 4 wasn't getting a good enough push, but we never shot gaps like that. Baldinger broke it down vs the Broncos. We had a 4 man rush getting no push and we would bring an extra LB on the outside. The center would just slide out and pick it up. I don't consider us and never have considered us an aggressive defense regardless of the # of blitzes we supposedly ran compared to the rest of the NFL.

There is another possibility here. With his recent health problems, maybe he wanted less responsibility, but keep coaching. So it is possible that both he and the team agreed to part ways and he went looking for a gig with less responsibility.
This entered my mind too. He has one thing going against him that former Raven assistants didn't. He's already old.

The AD theory is interesting as well.

Last edited:

Let's see if BB appoints Patricia. If he does, then you have to wonder why Pees and Patricia couldn't have swapped responsibilities.

And unless I'm mistaken, the assistant coaches put in the same long hours that coaches do. They probably have less stress though than the guys calling plays.

This will be about as close as we can get to seeing BB fire someone for not performing.

BB has too big of an ego to fire one of his staff. It will be an admittance to making a bad coaching hire/promotion.

BB has too big of an ego to fire one of his staff. It will be an admittance to making a bad coaching hire/promotion.

:rolleyes: yet his ego doesn't get in the way of cutting 2nd and 3rd round picks early. Get a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft