PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Price Red Sox Era Begins

Think I would have to agree with you there, although I don't think I can really fault Panda for looking at large-breasted women on Instagram. Have you been on Instagram? That's like 90% of the content.
Don't do Instaface, Mybook or Twitchat;)

Sox are so dumb, they keep doing the same **** over and over again and it never works. You can't buy championships in baseball. Their 3 titles were won mostly on homegrown talent and heap vets. Especially don't pay big money for former Rays they always **** the bed.

It's a 7 year deal with a player opt out clause after 3. Every pitcher that had those, uses it.
Not if he gets hurt or something, then you're ****ed. Seems like everytime a good Rays player leaves for big $ they completely fall off a cliff. He's been pretty good since leaving but that's a lot of dough. Surprised Sox didn't just try to buy out all of the Rays coaching. They're like a pitching factory.

Sox are so dumb, they keep doing the same **** over and over again and it never works. You can't buy championships in baseball. Their 3 titles were won mostly on homegrown talent and heap vets. Especially don't pay big money for former Rays they always **** the bed.

To defend the Sox on this point...

A whole lot of this Red Sox team would fit your "homegrown talent and cheap vets" criteria. Just looking at the starting lineup, as of now:

At least 3/5 of the infield
All of the outfield (Castillo being arguable, it would still be 2/3 of the starters and 3/4ths of the top 4)
DH (Ortiz was a cheap vet when originally brought in)

would fit that bill.

It's a little bit different with the pitching, but even there you've got guys like

Buchholz
Tazawa
Uehara

who've been with the team when it won the title,and young guys like

Owens
Rodriguez
Johnson (if....)

to go along with some cheap veterans. The only places where Boston really diverges from what you're talking about are some of the starting lineup and the closer, and those are spots where Boston has always been happy to look elsewhere for help.

I like the signing a great move by the Sox. Overpay absolutely but he's an ace which is better than a #1 starter actually.

I expect a 2nd shoe to drop here as the Sox package Buchholz and Joe Kelly with perhaps 1 or 2 minor league position players to grab a legit #2-#3-#4 starter who is in his mid 20's with several years to go to reach FA status. Which will leave new guy and Rodriguez and Porcello rounding out the top 4 and Miley as a very serviceable inning eating #5. That's a decent staff ... not great but very decent and good enough to get to October. Henry Owns and Brian Johnson will bounce between the Sox and Pawsox as injuries come about.

That is my prediction ........... IMO no way Dombrowski keeps Kelly and Buchholz ... I don't see it.
Both of those guys would be better off in the NL ... so we'll see what happens.
Those 2 and Devon Marrero and Jackie Bradley should bring something decent in return.
Personally I'd much rather keep Bradley and Betts ... find a way to ship Castillo out if it was up to me.

Last edited:
I like the signing a great move by the Sox. Overpay absolutely but he's an ace which is better than a #1 starter actually.

I expect a 2nd shoe to drop here as the Sox package Buchholz and Joe Kelly with perhaps 1 or 2 minor league position players to grab a legit #2-#3-#4 starter who is in his mid 20's with several years to go to reach FA status. Which will leave new guy and Rodriguez and Porcello rounding out the top 4 and Miley as a very serviceable inning eating #5. That's a decent staff ... not great but very decent and good enough to get to October. Henry Owns and Brian Johnson will bounce between the Sox and Pawsox as injuries come about.

That is my prediction ........... IMO no way Dombrowski keeps Kelly and Buchholz ... I don't see it.
Both of those guys would be better off in the NL ... so we'll see what happens.
Those 2 and Devon Marrero and Jackie Bradley should bring something decent in return.
Personally I'd much rather keep Bradley and Betts ... find a way to ship Castillo out if it was up to me.
Unfortunately Rusney's hot streaks haven't lasted too long. I like him, but he is infuriating with his mental lapses on fundamentals and situational baseball. When he's clicking, he's fun to watch. I know the Sox have been touting the potential of a Castillo/Bradley/Betts troika, but I'm forever spoiled on the Rice/Lynn/Evans outfield trio, while 45 years ago my Grandfather would regale me with memories of the Lewis/Speaker/Hooper outfield. Yes, I'm that old...

Red Sox sign Price for 7 years .... $217 million reportedly.... wow.

Post season ERA = 5.12 .... :confused:o_O:confused:

Lester got $155 million for 6 years = 25.8 million a season.

What changed?

the gm and president were fired.

The current GM & President will be fired too if this doesn't work out, which I suspect it won't.

The David Price is Wrong Error is more like it.

I think there's some confusion about the opt out

If he's great - he opts out to demand more money from the Sox or elsewhere and it's a 3 year contract

If he sucks - then it's 7 years $217 million

That being said, I don't particularly care if the Red Sox ownership group takes a bath in years 5-7 if they get the same production out of him that he's consistently given throughout his career

Forget about the money for a second (as unlike football we can in baseball) and just consider that the Sox got THE best starter on the market - and one who has consistently averaged a 3.0 ERA in playing against the same competition he'll face in the AL East for the Sox against DH hitters no less

Paying less for any of the others out there who all have big question marks would be a higher potential waste of money in my opinion

Zach Grienke was the best SP on the market.

David Price is Wrong ***** is an *******. I absolutely HATE this signing. This Joe Madden-trained-to-hate-Boston-and-Bostonians scumbag won't last even until the All-Star break before something explosive occurs off-field,
and take a wild guess what card this jerk-off will play when that happens?

David Price is Wrong ***** is an *******. I absolutely HATE this signing. This Joe Madden-trained-to-hate-Boston-and-Bostonians scumbag won't last even until the All-Star break before something explosive occurs off-field,

You sir, have no idea what you are talking about. Grienke has a personality disorder that would never fit in Boston or New York or any other place like that.

As for disagreeing with my previous post, Price hit 94-96 regularly last season. How hard is Lester throwin? 92-93?

Go home before your false theories are believed by someone who may not know better. Sheesh.

just find a way to trade Hanley and ill be happy. what a god awful signing he was.

You sir, have no idea what you are talking about. Grienke has a personality disorder that would never fit in Boston or New York or any other place like that.

As for disagreeing with my previous post, Price hit 94-96 regularly last season. How hard is Lester throwin? 92-93?

Go home before your false theories are believed by someone who may not know better. Sheesh.

I would rather have Lester at his current salary than Price at his now-current salary.

And Grienke was indeed the best SP on the open market; whether he signed in Boston or didn't is irrelevant.

Little note: John Lackey just signed on with the Cubs, rejoining his BFF John Lester. 2 years, $32 million.

Little note: John Lackey just signed on with the Cubs, rejoining his BFF John Lester. 2 years, $32 million.
Didn't understand the move when they got rid of Lackey. H was pitching pretty well and under contract.

They'll open the season with as many as six homegrown guys playing the field, so yeah, not so much.

The feckin Cubs (Lester, Lackey, Rizzo) are where the Dead Sux should be right now, without the stench of Epstein & Madden.

Didn't understand the move when they got rid of Lackey. H was pitching pretty well and under contract.

Lackey and Lester are buddies, and there was no way Lackey was going to come back after the way Lucchino and company shafted Lester.

The feckin Cubs (Lester, Lackey, Rizzo) are where the Dead Sux should be right now, without the stench of Epstein & Madden.

Theoretically, Boston could be currently fielding a starting rotation of something like

Lester
Lackey
Price
Buchholz
Rodriguez
Miley

(5+ the injury 'spare')

for not all that much more money than they are currently shelling out, since they wouldn't be paying Porcello his $20m per. Lester would be about $5m more than Porcello, and Lackey just got $16 per. So, for about the cost of an additional Porcello (roughly $21m), the Red Sox could be fielding a starting staff with 3 "number one" quality guys (Lester, Price, Lackey), a guy with "number one" stuff when he's on (Buchholz), a 200 innings back of the rotation guy (Miley) and a guy who put up a sub 4 era as a rookie (Rodriguez).

He is indeed the highest paid pitcher on the market and thus deemed the best

But I'm not quite sure why you think a guy who has been nothing but consistent pitching in the AL East for most of his career with a 3.0 ERA average - and actual experience and success pitching in Fenway is a bad signing?

Greinkie is older and would be coming from the NL, with stats potentially inflated thanks to the lack of a DH

Any pitcher is a gamble but Price - at that price so to speak - strikes me as far less of a gamble than a guy from the NL who's career stats have been more up and down

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back