PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Price Red Sox Era Begins

Dombrowski's brought in the ace, the closer and the 4th outfielder. Now, let's see if he can move the two albatross contracts/players and, maybe, one of the other theoretical veteran starters.

Hanley is gone.

Panda too. If he was in Star Wars he'd play Porkins.

Porcello needs to go. 2016 is reasonable for a #3 but paying $20M, $20M, $21M, $21M each of the next four years is sheer madness.

Coulda had Lester for 3-4 million more a year on top of that.

1. It's a 7 year deal, not a 3 year deal
  2. Lester would have been a better signing, and would have helped starting last year
  3. Lester would have cost a lot less money
It's a 7 year deal with a player opt out after three. Pretty much every deal like this results in the opt out being exercised.

It's a 7 year deal with a player opt out after three. Pretty much every deal like this results in the opt out being exercised.

They only opt out if they are pitching well enough to get even more money.

They only opt out if they are pitching well enough to get even more money.
Yeah, but the thing is, the way money has gone in baseball, you don't really have to be pitching all that well to command MORE three years down the road. Plus, I -think- the deal is a little bit front loaded.

1. It's a 7 year deal, not a 3 year deal
  2. Lester would have been a better signing, and would have helped starting last year
  3. Lester would have cost a lot less money

A. It's a 7 with a 3 year opt out, like Grienke, and Sabathia
B. Lester would not have mad an impact last year with the development of the young guys not a sure thing.
C. Agree with less money, but Price most likely (if history is an judge) will opt out so it will be ~80 million less in the end.

That is absolutely incorrect.
How so? He got low-balled in the spring and that turned him sour on resigning with the Sox. The Sox then went to $133 million but that was still a long way behind the Cubs $155 million offer.

A. It's a 7 with a 3 year opt out, like Grienke, and Sabathia

Yes, it's a 7 year deal. That's what I wrote.

B. Lester would not have mad an impact last year with the development of the young guys not a sure thing.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

C. Agree with less money, but Price most likely (if history is an judge) will opt out so it will be ~80 million less in the end.

No..... It MAY be less in the end. That will depend on whether or not a 33 year old David Price thinks he can get even more money on the back end of his deal.

How so? He got low-balled in the spring and that turned him sour on resigning with the Sox. The Sox then went to $133 million but that was still a long way behind the Cubs $155 million offer.

Note the difference between your follow up post and your first post, and you'll find the "how so" located there. Lester wanted to stay in Boston. Boston screwed the pooch.

Yes, it's a 7 year deal. That's what I wrote.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

No..... It MAY be less in the end. That will depend on whether or not a 33 year old David Price thinks he can get even more money on the back end of his deal.

Nonsense? Boegarts was an unknown as wells as Betts, Castillo. Vasquez got hurt, Swihart developed. Maybe none of them develop. Lester would have had a solid year, and wouldn't have been the difference between making the playoffs or not.

People have a misguided view of Lester. Up until May-early June of 13, I wanted to trade him. Up and down, era near 5, and it had been that way for a couple of years. Then after the all star break he turned it on and was phenomenal. He isn't an ace, far from it. Hell, he wasn't the best pitcher on the Cubs last year. Not even close.

A little off topic, but. I live in Jersey (I know), and I work out of a hiring hall. My foreman (co worker) on the job I've been working on for the last 3 months, lives in Monmouth county. So we're having coffee break one day last week and he tells me he's out fishing with his close friends . One of his buddies he grew up with is John Farrell. I said "Whoa, back up". Farrell is one of his buddies he hangs with on Sunday mornings for coffee and go fishing with. He flies back and forth on the weekends (time permitting). Not a big story, but for someone who lives here, but isn't a big baseball guy and is a Pats fan (Me), I thought it was pretty cool. OK, back to the thread. :D

Last edited:
Dombrowski's brought in the ace, the closer and the 4th outfielder. Now, let's see if he can move the two albatross contracts/players and, maybe, one of the other theoretical veteran starters.
4 horrible contracts rights now. Sandoval, Ramirez, Castillo and Porcello.
to get rid of one would be great. two miraculous. Going to cost lots to get rid of Hanley. they may wait to put him in at DH at seasons end. Would have to eat over 30 million to get rid of him now.

4 horrible contracts rights now. Sandoval, Ramirez, Castillo and Porcello.
to get rid of one would be great. two miraculous. Going to cost lots to get rid of Hanley. they may wait to put him in at DH at seasons end. Would have to eat over 30 million to get rid of him now.

I'm not down on the Castillo deal yet. If he can be .280 25 80 for the next 3 years thats fine.

If not the deal sucks.

Price is a good regular season pitcher.

Well why would he is the question? He's gonna be 31 next year. Hope we get at least 4 good years out of him. Very risky
if he pitches well he'll be gone in three years when he opts out. wish they paid lester instead. wish they didn't sign Porcello and Ramirez and Fatman panda. what a mess.

It's not my money.

I approve of this signing.:p

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots