PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darius Butler...what's the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he needs to get back in there for some play. HE WILL do better I am sure.

Puzzling to me too...I think there is more than meets the eye here,I think there was some words between Butler and BB this season and they were not good words and because of that he got benched this long.

This is what I was thinking, too, but I just didn't want to go there.

I keep imagining a shutdown CB crew of Butler and McCourty for the next 10 years in New England!

I hope he finds his way out of the doghouse soon...the season is nearly half over!

He just has to be willing to tackle. And also to TURN his head around instead of just tracking the WR and allowing him to make the catch.

Maybe the pats should work on that.

Arrington is better against the run and I guess that trumps whatever advantage Butler has on him on pass defense.

Re: Have We Seen the End of the Butler Era?

I see a different player in Arrington than most do on this board, and I think that the player I see is much closer to the one that Belichick sees. A few quotes from this post illustrate this:

Two things are happening:

1, teams are not throwing at Arrington for some reason, either because he's draped all over his guy, or because opposing teams haven't clued in yet.

Hmmm, do you think its because he has his man covered, by any chance? I assume that when you say "draped all over his guy", you surely mean that he has excellent coverage on his receiver, yes? Or do we really think, that with the guy having started for over a month, that if he was that much of a liability, opposing teams wouldn't have a clue? Really?

I notice that WHEN they throw at Arrington, he is NEVER in position. He doesn't have the hips or speed to stay with WRs and he can't read them. Butler is an upgrade in this respect.

Amazing observation. Opposing QB's throw to Arrington's receiver when he is open. This is a lot different than other cornerbacks, who's receiver is thrown to when they are not open :bricks:

Dude, if he didn't have the hips or the speed to stay with WR's, then how does he become a starting CB in the NFL? I'm sure you'll say injury, but he is beating out our second rd draft picks from 2008 and 2009.

It would be interesting to understand more about which games he's played in where he's given up more receptions than anyone else on the team.

Yesterday I saw Arrington make his first play on the ball. EVER. First pass deflection. So he could be improving.

When the ball is not thrown to his player, because he has tight coverage, should he still be responsible for making a play on the ball? I'm not against having high expectations, just want to make sure that the expectations of this community are realistic.

I see a different player in Arrington than most do on this board, and I think that the player I see is much closer to the one that Belichick sees. A few quotes from this post illustrate this:

Hmmm, do you think its because he has his man covered, by any chance? I assume that when you say "draped all over his guy", you surely mean that he has excellent coverage on his receiver, yes? Or do we really think, that with the guy having started for over a month, that if he was that much of a liability, opposing teams wouldn't have a clue? Really?

Amazing observation. Opposing QB's throw to Arrington's receiver when he is open. This is a lot different than other cornerbacks, who's receiver is thrown to when they are not open :bricks:

Dude, if he didn't have the hips or the speed to stay with WR's, then how does he become a starting CB in the NFL? I'm sure you'll say injury, but he is beating out our second rd draft picks from 2008 and 2009.

It would be interesting to understand more about which games he's played in where he's given up more receptions than anyone else on the team.

When the ball is not thrown to his player, because he has tight coverage, should he still be responsible for making a play on the ball? I'm not against having high expectations, just want to make sure that the expectations of this community are realistic.

You can't be serious with this post. We're definitely not watching the same game. He is discombublated out there, you can see he doesn't have the hips for the positition. How? Because when he turns and reacts to the WR, he trips and stumbles. That's because he can't swivel fast enough, and his feet are moving to fast for his hips. Do you know anything about this position?

I guarantee you this: Arrington is not going to be at that position for a long time. He's been as bad as Butler was. Actually worse, since Butler was in the area of the WR but not making plays. Arrington isn't in the same zip code.

Arrington isn't Earthwind Moreland but hes a slight notch above. He's at best marginal.

Butler has the speed to stick to just about anyone but he has poor ball awareness. He also must have some confidence issue too; maybe that is why Bill is working him in slowly.

You can't be serious with this post. We're definitely not watching the same game. He is discombublated out there, you can see he doesn't have the hips for the positition. How? Because when he turns and reacts to the WR, he trips and stumbles. That's because he can't swivel fast enough, and his feet are moving to fast for his hips. Do you know anything about this position?

I guarantee you this: Arrington is not going to be at that position for a long time. He's been as bad as Butler was. Actually worse, since Butler was in the area of the WR but not making plays. Arrington isn't in the same zip code.

Wonder what BB sees? ;)

Nonsense. 10 char.

Idk what the story is but Arrington isn't that bad. As long as he doesn't get abused/suck I'll take it. (Deltha O'neil, etc.)

This KID has all the skills and Athletic ability to play in this league, he also has the right mentality and drive.

Now it's up to the coaches to make him succesful.

I think people are over reacting to his demotion, I would say his is better then Arrington, right now Arrington is just a safer play.

I think there was some words between Butler and BB this season and they were not good words and because of that he got benched this long.
Interesting. What makes you think they had words?

Wonder what BB sees? ;)

Did you read the thread? We already answered that.

Remember, Belichick played Wilhite ahead of Bodden last year. He has his modus operandi. Do I believe he thinks Arrington is better than Butler? No, I think he may prefer Arrington's tackling.

Agreed.................

This KID has all the skills and Athletic ability to play in this league, he also has the right mentality and drive.

I think people are over reacting to his demotion, I would say his is better then Arrington, right now Arrington is just a safer play.

Butler seemed to be relying on his athleticism and not playing with good technique early on. He was also really, really poor in run support. Arrington has shown flashes of good and bad, but has been pretty decent against the run for a corner.

I still expect Butler to come back and contribute this season. Or maybe that's wishful thinking.

It is up to him to make himself successful, and from what I have heard that may very well be his problem.

Did you read the thread? We already answered that.

Remember, Belichick played Wilhite ahead of Bodden last year. He has his modus operandi. Do I believe he thinks Arrington is better than Butler? No, I think he may prefer Arrington's tackling.

Bodden started 14 games and played in 15. http://www.ufpi.com/literature/acqfastener-216.pdf

Was he hurt? Because there is no way in hell that Wilhite is a better CB than Bodden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes