PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dane Fletcher and Chris Jones Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Brandon LaFell came right off reserve pup. Dane Fletcher and Chris Jones are taking their time getting ready and I think Tuesday is decision day.

I really don't know Eric Martin, but he is on the roster and I like Dane Fletcher so maybe he could have his spot.

I really like Chris Jones and there definitely is a place in the NFL for him. When we traded for Hicks, I wasn't concerned if it didn't work out because we had Jones coming back. Well Hicks certainly has worked out so I am not sure whose place Jones may take. Has Flowers played any snaps? Although I liked his potential in preseason if he isn't going to play I would rather have Chris Jones.

Do they revert to season ending PUP if we don't put them on the active roster? Do we gain another year of control over Chris Jones if he does not come back? Can he ask to be released if he is not put on the active roster, but feels he is no longer injured?

Do they revert to season ending PUP if we don't put them on the active roster? Do we gain another year of control over Chris Jones if he does not come back? Can he ask to be released if he is not put on the active roster, but feels he is no longer injured?

Yes. No. Yes. :)

Tuesday is decision day, but tomorrow's deadline at 4pm for MNF is the more telling deadline.

I'll just get a good head start and start:

Oh Ventrone boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling
It's you, it's you must go and I must bide.

Ventrone, we hardly knew ye

IMO Fletcher is dependent on whatever is going on with Jamie Collins, not that he can replace him, but another guy who is familiar with out system and expectations..

Chris Jones less so, but that might change after any game in this war of attrition..

Fletcher is an upgrade over all the Patriots reserve Linebackers (save Mayo depending on how you see him in 2015). I don't see a spot for Jones.

Fletcher is an upgrade over all the Patriots reserve Linebackers (save Mayo depending on how you see him in 2015). I don't see a spot for Jones.

I don't agree with that. Tampa let Fletcher walk after his contract came up. Anyone could have gotten him. I think BB only signed him for ST and insurance if Mayo didn't work out. He's probably better than Bostic at this point, solely because he knows the system better, but it's not due to ability. Freeny is far superior to Dane Fletcher. This isn't 2012 Dane Fletcher we're talking about, now.

Fletcher might be able to find a spot on ST, although that's not really a given at this point.

Chris Jones is, again, a nice reserve player to have, but there's no spot for him on the team right now unless there's an injury.

I think both stay on PUP as long as humanly possible, in case of injuries, and then both will either be IR'd or cut. I won't lose sleep over either one.

I don't agree with that. Tampa let Fletcher walk after his contract came up. Anyone could have gotten him. I think BB only signed him for ST and insurance if Mayo didn't work out. He's probably better than Bostic at this point, solely because he knows the system better, but it's not due to ability. Freeny is far superior to Dane Fletcher. This isn't 2012 Dane Fletcher we're talking about, now.

Fletcher might be able to find a spot on ST, although that's not really a given at this point.

Chris Jones is, again, a nice reserve player to have, but there's no spot for him on the team right now unless there's an injury.

I think both stay on PUP as long as humanly possible, in case of injuries, and then both will either be IR'd or cut. I won't lose sleep over either one.
Freeny is the epitome of the word JAG. I don't agree with your assessment and believe Fletcher to be the far superior player. Bostic hasn't developed, but that's probably to be expected.

Freeny is the epitome of the word JAG. I don't agree with your assessment and believe Fletcher to be the far superior player. Bostic hasn't developed, but that's probably to be expected.

Disagree completely, Freeney came here to backup but has far outplayed expectations and earned his starting spot. He's been one of the biggest surprises and additions this season.

BB can't agree, as he extended Freeny out a couple of years.

I see the only question being Siliga or Chris Jones. Siliga has the edge because the rotation is working and I don't think he's playing badly. Chris Jones could do the job equally, but BB doesn't like to change in-season success, even if it's an upgrade (Stork over Andrews). We might know more after Monday night's game.

Fletcher would seem to have had the easier path with Jamie Collins out, but if he was up to it they would have activated him by now. Like mentioned above they might keep Fletcher if Collins is still uncertain, but if Jamie is back I would think the window has closed.

Amazing Belichick has rebuilt their interior DL to the point where Chris Jones may not be able to get a spot on it. Season ending IR may be their only choice.

I see the only question being Siliga or Chris Jones. Siliga has the edge because the rotation is working and I don't think he's playing badly. Chris Jones could do the job equally, but BB doesn't like to change in-season success, even if it's an upgrade (Stork over Andrews). We might know more after Monday night's game.

Fletcher would seem to have had the easier path with Jamie Collins out, but if he was up to it they would have activated him by now. Like mentioned above they might keep Fletcher if Collins is still uncertain, but if Jamie is back I would think the window has closed.
Seal is a much superior defender vs the run than Chris Jones. However, Jones is a better penetrator in passing downs.

So.......with Brown, Branch and Hicks solid vs the run do you stay the course bc the run D is kicking ass or try to get more of a pass rush?

Seems the Patriots are waiting to see if there are any further injuries Monday night before making a decision.

Jones seems cut from a rougher cloth than Easley. If the staff feels they may need a back up to him he may get the call.

I would not want Jones or Siliga released for one of our rivals to get.

ctpatfans77 thanks for answering the question.

I don't agree with that. Tampa let Fletcher walk after his contract came up. Anyone could have gotten him. I think BB only signed him for ST and insurance if Mayo didn't work out. He's probably better than Bostic at this point, solely because he knows the system better, but it's not due to ability. Freeny is far superior to Dane Fletcher. This isn't 2012 Dane Fletcher we're talking about, now......

Whoa. Eli was brutally targeting Freeny last week. I told my wife and kids not to look at the TV, it was so disturbing. The CBS network censors were at the ready by the 4th quarter.

Yes, Freeny was THAT bad in coverage last week. Every 3rd down play was right at Freeny's area.

Last edited:
Seems the Patriots are waiting to see if there are any further injuries Monday night before making a decision.

Jones seems cut from a rougher cloth than Easley. If the staff feels they may need a back up to him he may get the call.

I would not want Jones or Siliga released for one of our rivals to get.

ctpatfans77 thanks for answering the question.

So......which of the DL roster would you cut for Chris Jones?

Sorry, but I don't see it unless one of them get injured. Your first sentence held all the truth.

Disagree completely, Freeney came here to backup but has far outplayed expectations and earned his starting spot. He's been one of the biggest surprises and additions this season.

I think he's still having dizziness problems from what Eli did to him last week. Good against the run. Not good in coverage. THAT'S what the Patriots need right now.

If Fletcher is healthy (a big IF), he is a very good coverage LB.

In hindsight, I really wish BB had PUP'ed Darryl Roberts instead of these two. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST