PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dane Fletcher and Chris Jones Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
d%#*!@t, it was only a wrist injury from August 13th. Unless it needed amputation, he'd be active right now. I guess they had no choice if they thought Fletcher and Jones were more imprtant for depth when they made their decision on September 1st.

I bet they wish they had THAT decision back.

New England Patriots place promising CB Darryl Roberts on IR

"Most significant move:
Cornerback Darryl Roberts, the seventh-round draft choice from Marshall, was placed on season-ending injured reserve. Roberts injured his wrist in the Aug. 13 preseason opener against the Packers, a game in which he started. He was showing promise in practice, with good ball skills, and had a solid chance to make the roster......"

I don't understand. The options with Roberts were IR or keep him as an inactive member of the 53 man roster.

Keeping a 7th round pick CB who flashed a little possible potential in camp as an inactive for 8+ weeks would have been horrendous roster management. Logistically, it's really tough to keep long term injured guys on the 53 man roster. At one point this season, the Pats' entire inactive list was injured. You can't get to a point where you have to be dressing injured players because a late round rookie showed promise in August.

Jones/Fletcher had absolutely nothing to do with the Roberts decision. Nothing.

Just saying a longer term recovery may not be worth the roster spot. I liked what Coleman did for the team, but we need another corner on this team and that player may be better than Coleman with the reps come the playoffs than Coleman returning from injury.
Depends. Who is that CB who will take Coleman's place? Question is how badly Coleman is hurt and how long it will take to heal. Nobody outside the Patriots will know enough to being to guess that...

If the injury looks like it needs a full 4 to 6 weeks to heal they may ir him.

The Patriots already know how long the injury looks like it will take and they haven't IRed him yet. Good money suggests they won't.

I am not sure we can go another 5 weeks without another cb.

There are options by which they can get another CB without IRing Coleman.

If replacing Coleman were as easy as just signing some warm body, the team would have done so already. Instead, they have signed only practice squad guys and made a claim on someone most people would rather not be on the team. Said another way, after Brown went down and Fletcher was dumped, Melvin was the guy NE tabbed for that spot. They apparently don't think any street free agents would upgrade him, let alone Coleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back