PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dane Fletcher and Chris Jones Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhm, if it were possible he would have, no?

I believe (hopefully someone can access the info) that a team does not have an unlimited number of PUP capabilities. It may be just 2 or 3?

At the time, they knew they would need to PUP Fletcher and Jones and perhaps were not willing to take up the space on a rookie in a position that had (at the time) plenty of shallow depth.

I believe (hopefully someone can access the info) that a team does not have an unlimited number of PUP capabilities. It may be just 2 or 3?

At the time, they knew they would need to PUP Fletcher and Jones and perhaps were not willing to take up the space on a rookie in a position that had (at the time) plenty of shallow depth.

Ahhh, found it:

NFL PUP list, Injured Reserve, NFI List rules and the 2014 San Francisco 49ers

".....Once a player practices during training camp, all PUP list options are off the table. "

Roberts practiced during TC.

d%#*!@t, it was only a wrist injury from August 13th. Unless it needed amputation, he'd be active right now. I guess they had no choice if they thought Fletcher and Jones were more imprtant for depth when they made their decision on September 1st.

I bet they wish they had THAT decision back.

New England Patriots place promising CB Darryl Roberts on IR

"Most significant move:
Cornerback Darryl Roberts, the seventh-round draft choice from Marshall, was placed on season-ending injured reserve. Roberts injured his wrist in the Aug. 13 preseason opener against the Packers, a game in which he started. He was showing promise in practice, with good ball skills, and had a solid chance to make the roster......"

Hate to say it, but the have 5 DT and the fifth one has to be dependent on his role in the defense.

With the fired up Branch, Brown and Hicks, they have three stout DTs for two spots.

They changed, with Easley and the cornerback losses into a penetrating team and they need it more every injury they have in the secondary.

Do they need four stout guys to play one or two downs, or two inside pass rushers plus 3 stout guys that may have some rush ability? If Jones and Siliga are seen as different types with similar ability [only BB knows]. I think Jones replaces Siliga.

If Darryl Roberts spends another year on IR, he could go from first ballot Hall of Famer to being proposed for sainthood by Pope Francis.

He showed some promise in practice. He was injured in the first preseason game. We did not miss a guaranteed starter with the knowledge and skills to solve all our issues at CB.

You might go to every Popeye's franchise in the world because we got a top cornerback, or project a guy who didn't play one preseason game as a solid vet, or buy a lottery ticket. You might have a winner.

Every other team has promising players they can't fit on the roster. Maybe, due to circumstance, Roberts could have got some snaps, but it's possible he wouldn't. I like the pick and hope he develops because we need some value players at CB, but can we stop with the guaranteed starter cause he looked OK in practice, please?

Hate to say it, but the have 5 DT and the fifth one has to be dependent on his role in the defense.

With the fired up Branch, Brown and Hicks, they have three stout DTs for two spots.

They changed, with Easley and the cornerback losses into a penetrating team and they need it more every injury they have in the secondary.

Do they need four stout guys to play one or two downs, or two inside pass rushers plus 3 stout guys that may have some rush ability? If Jones and Siliga are seen as different types with similar ability [only BB knows]. I think Jones replaces Siliga.

That's the only possibility I can see to squeeze Jones onto the roster.

I give that a 50-50 chance, but the DL has been so damn good against the run. Why mess with it?

d%#*!@t, it was only a wrist injury from August 13th. Unless it needed amputation, he'd be active right now. I guess they had no choice if they thought Fletcher and Jones were more imprtant for depth when they made their decision on September 1st.

I bet they wish they had THAT decision back.

New England Patriots place promising CB Darryl Roberts on IR

"Most significant move:
Cornerback Darryl Roberts, the seventh-round draft choice from Marshall, was placed on season-ending injured reserve. Roberts injured his wrist in the Aug. 13 preseason opener against the Packers, a game in which he started. He was showing promise in practice, with good ball skills, and had a solid chance to make the roster......"

Why carry a 7th round rookie who's not healthy?

Maybe if K. Martin can play they cut either Dobson/Harper and pickup a RB who can play special teams. Then they add Chris Jones and cut Eric Martin and Fletcher.

That's the only possibility I can see to squeeze Jones onto the roster.

I give that a 50-50 chance, but the DL has been so damn good against the run. Why mess with it?

Well, it's been because of Branch and Brown IMO. Hicks has more size and explosiveness than Siliga, so it comes down to do you need four DTs rotating on 1st down or goal line?

Part of dropping Wilfork was changing the defense starting with Easley, a guy who would never have been drafted for DT before. LAfter losing Revis, drafting all those pass rushers was no coincidence. If the think Jones can pressure from inside and get some snaps, I think he's got the shot, all things being equal.

Fletcher is an upgrade over all the Patriots reserve Linebackers (save Mayo depending on how you see him in 2015). I don't see a spot for Jones.
I think you are remembering Dane Fletcher when he was in his mid 20s and without 2 significant injuries.

Bostic is a much better player, he had 83 tackles last season and 57 tackles in 2013 as a rookie. Once he learns the defense he will be a much bigger part of the defense.

Brandon LaFell came right off reserve pup. Dane Fletcher and Chris Jones are taking their time getting ready and I think Tuesday is decision day.

I really don't know Eric Martin, but he is on the roster and I like Dane Fletcher so maybe he could have his spot.

I really like Chris Jones and there definitely is a place in the NFL for him. When we traded for Hicks, I wasn't concerned if it didn't work out because we had Jones coming back. Well Hicks certainly has worked out so I am not sure whose place Jones may take. Has Flowers played any snaps? Although I liked his potential in preseason if he isn't going to play I would rather have Chris Jones.

Do they revert to season ending PUP if we don't put them on the active roster? Do we gain another year of control over Chris Jones if he does not come back? Can he ask to be released if he is not put on the active roster, but feels he is no longer injured?
Baring an injury to a DL or LB tomorrow night I would expect both Jones and Fletcher to revert to IR.

Why carry a 7th round rookie who's not healthy?
They are actually carrying Coleman right now who has a similar injury. Roberts went down in the first week of the preseason, at that time we had Fletcher, Brown, and McClain on the roster, the timing was different. If they had known Fletcher would be so poor, Brown would be injured and McClain wouldn't even make the roster at that time they may have handled things different.

And we will find out how patient they are with Coleman. He certainly is not Edelman. If the injury looks like it needs a full 4 to 6 weeks to heal they may ir him.

The arguments for letting Siliga go make the most sense if it is not an injury replacement after Monday. I think Siliga is a quality run stopping big man. He will not clear waivers if he is cut.

And we will find out how patient they are with Coleman. He certainly is not Edelman. If the injury looks like it needs a full 4 to 6 weeks to heal they may ir him.

Say what? If out that long he's available for post season. Do you really want to see Melvin start post season? At least we wouldn't have to watch for long.

Just saying a longer term recovery may not be worth the roster spot. I liked what Coleman did for the team, but we need another corner on this team and that player may be better than Coleman with the reps come the playoffs than Coleman returning from injury.

1) We'll see whose healthy after Monday night.

2) If Fletcher is healthy, he is a clear upgrade to OL Martin. I think the question is Fletcher's health.

3) I don't see Chris Jones being added unless there is an Monday night injury. I believe that he can remain on the PUP for the rest of the year.

4) Yes, I do think that Jones is more valuable that Wilson. However, I'd rather add a RB or DB than add Jones.

I am on the Vereen for slot corner band wagon. And 3 rb is too few. Agree unlikely for Jones. Too bad, I think we found a player there.

Just saying a longer term recovery may not be worth the roster spot. I liked what Coleman did for the team, but we need another corner on this team and that player may be better than Coleman with the reps come the playoffs than Coleman returning from injury.

Nope. It's Melvin playing with Coleman out. There's no other player that compensates for this glaring hole.

Sure enough, but who stands behind Melvin?

McCourty? Seems he plays corner at times now so he can't be two people.

Harmon? Have not seen it, but maybe.

Another one of the safeties? None of them seem particularly suited. Seems they want to try Vereen.

I am not sure we can go another 5 weeks without another cb.

Disagree completely, Freeney came here to backup but has far outplayed expectations and earned his starting spot. He's been one of the biggest surprises and additions this season.
Not sure I agree with that. Freeny, in my assessment, has played like a back up. Mind you, I'm just not that high on Bostic right now either. Sure, I'm probably remembering Fletcher at his best but the depth behind Hightower, Collins and Mayo looks a little troublesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back