PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Connolly injury overreaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Connolly should not be a starter in the first place.

seriously there are some people who should never post.

the patriots offense was doing fine last night in the 1st quarter until connolly got injured. there were some protection issues, yes, but they were moving the ball on the lions D. you put ohrnburger in there for the 2nd quarter as well as a rookie in nate solder and your oline is going to have some trouble.

Matt Light started 12 of 14 games his rookie season.
Sebastian Vollmer started 8 of 14 games his rookie season.
Logan Mankins started 16 of 16 games his rookie season.
Nick Kaczur started 11 of 14 games his rookie season.
Dan Koppen started 15 of 16 games his rookie season.

Koppen might be the best analogue as a fifth round draft choice at interior line. Like Cannon.

I realize there have been exceptions in 1st and 2nd round picks, and Kaczur and Koppen started because of injuries to veterans. That would be 5 guys from 5 OL positions over 11 seasons. And I would agree if the pick makes it to the regular season roster he should be able to start if called upon. For those five, the draft since 2000 indicates plenty of cast-offs and non-starters, which was my point.

Compare those 5 to the number of veterans on the OL during that same period, and it is clear rookies on the OL are not the norm.

I realize there have been exceptions in 1st and 2nd round picks, and Kaczur and Koppen started because of injuries to veterans. That would be 5 guys from 5 OL positions over 11 seasons. And I would agree if the pick makes it to the regular season roster he should be able to start if called upon. For those five, the draft since 2000 indicates plenty of cast-offs and non-starters, which was my point.

Compare those 5 to the number of veterans on the OL during that same period, and it is clear rookies on the OL are not the norm.

Vollmer became a starter due to injury, as well.

seriously there are some people who should never post.

the patriots offense was doing fine last night in the 1st quarter until connolly got injured. there were some protection issues, yes, but they were moving the ball on the lions D. you put ohrnburger in there for the 2nd quarter as well as a rookie in nate solder and your oline is going to have some trouble.

Exactly. He had just one bad play before going out -- and he was apparently injured in the opening kickoff. Those of you who doubt that, why don't you review the film so kindly posted by NinjaZX6R:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

You'll see the problems begin when Connolly goes out: watch for 63 being replaced by 60 at about 3:32 -- two plays after Connolly makes a key downfield block allowing Hernandez to get a first down.

Some folks around here just endlessly repeat the Connolly criticisms without apparently ever watching for themselves. He's no all pro but he's a more than adequate starter. Wish I could say the same for Ohrnberger.

Last edited:
Exactly. He had just one bad play before going out -- and he was apparently injured in the opening kickoff. Those of you who doubt that, why don't you review the film so kindly posted by NinjaZX6R:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

You'll see the problems begin when Connolly goes out: watch for 63 being replaced by 60 at about 3:32 -- two plays after Connolly makes a key downfield block allowing Hernandez to get a first down.

Some folks around here just endlessly repeat the Connolly criticisms without apparently ever watching for themselves. He's no all pro but he's a more than adequate starter. Wish I could say the same for Ohrnberger.

So basically, we have the same problem we've been facing at RG for some years now. If the starter gets injured, we're screwed. And although I don't hate Connolly like some on this board, he isnt Neal. When Neal went down, we all worried. So its the same thing all over again. Hopefully Cannon will be ready at some point, because whats behind Connolly right now, scares the crap out of me :bricks:

OK, so at RG we have a marginal starter at best (weakest link on the OL) and then not one half-decent to back him up. Awesome!

I hope Cannon can play this year.

Last edited:
OK, so at RG we have a marginal starter at best (weakest link on the OL) and then not one half-decent to back him up. Awesome!

I hope Cannon can play this year.

yep, and i'm not all that happy with the solder to rg talk. Doesnt he play to too tall to be a guard? Heck if i know. Someone enlighten me with the requirements to play guard ;)

Does the truth hurt that much????????

Let me know when you actually start speaking the truth... So far, you've only sounded inept and bitter when it comes to Brandon Tate and this team..

Let me know when you actually start speaking the truth... So far, you've only sounded inept and bitter when it comes to Brandon Tate and this team..

Tate will never be more than a capable 3rd WR. You don't have to worry about that anyway as he will be cut in September.

Vollmer looked like a turnstyle in that game.

I congratulate you on not drinking the kook-aid [edit, i meant KOOL-aid, not kook].

Good news is that Connolly isn't that injured.

Bad news is that he isn't that good.

Worse news is that Ohrnberger is even worse.

Good news is that if they play much more like that, I'll have a lot of free time this fall.

Last edited:

Yes. But are we REALLY going to put Vollmer at the top of our list of worries ?!? He's not the biggest problem.

Okay, I'll play along.

Who should the Patriots have drafted instead of Cannon?

Here, I'll help you out; these are the guards drafted after Cannon was selected:

Daniel Kilgore
Caleb Schlauderaff
Keith Williams
Stephen Schilling
Andrew Jackson
Michael Jasper

None of the above. Should have picked Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd round in 2010.:bricks:

Many of us think Koppen is the weakest link on the OL. The frightening thing was that vs Detroit, it was Vollmer.

That has nothing at all to do with my post. Go troll someone else, because you suck at it and lousy trolls are boring.

Many of us think Koppen is the weakest link on the OL. The frightening thing was that vs Detroit, it was Vollmer.

The Lions (copied from the Tenn scheme) pass tech's were giving the Pats O line tons of problems. The 4-3 DE's were lining up at 9 tech while one of the DT's lined up at 4 tech and another one at 5 tech.

If you have a really good speed rusher, 9 tech alignment is dangerous.

By far Vollmer's worst game as a Patriot

The weak link on the O-line is Connolly, and the gap between him and the next starter is huge.

The weak link on the O-line is Connolly, and the gap between him and the next starter is huge.

Must be a yawning chasm to Ohrnberger then. Have you ever actually scored any of the OL?

Koppen and Connolly were both starters on an good offensive line last year. Koppen is an adequate center. Connolly is a good pulling guard who made numerous key blocks in the running game last year. Both lack functional strength and can be overpowered at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back