PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dallas Clark fumble

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I find most ridiculous is the fact that ALL close calls once we were out of t/o's went to the COLTS. There have been shady ref calls for 3-4 years in Indy/Den games but nobody seems to raise a stink about it...Champ picl w/ watson forced safety...Ellis gettin flagged for def. p/a when Lelie clearly grabbed Ellis from behind...thats just ONE game in the playoffs a few years back...and Indy seems to get the most blatant of the support!

It was frustrating as hell to watch, and to go back and re-visit all the blown calls/bad judgements is just pounding your head against a wall.

Bottom line - if Gaffney catches a perfectly thrown pass, or if Thomas doesn't get a massively boneheaded penalty - we win this game.

Blaming this loss on missed calls would be overstating it.

With the challenge rule on the books, no coach should ever - EVER - burn his last timeout before the 2 minute warning of either half.

That rule is right next to the one about going for 2 before the 4th quarter.

And that rule is next to not challenging for 5 lousy yards on a 12th man possibility when its not 4th down.

If Belichick didn't burn his last TO, the Patriots would have had 3 less points because Cassel fumbled on the play that BB burned his last timeout on.

The next play happened so fast they didn't even have time to show the full replay on TV.

11:19 to play when that play ends. 10:49 to play when the ball is snapped next. :30 secs elapsed.

Yeah I thought it was a fumble too. You could even tell by Clark's reaction, he was hurrying up to the line of scrimmage with a cheeky smile on his face. But didn't this play happen right after the failed challenge?
Clark gets up, gives Reggie 5, adjusts his helmet. Smiling because he just made a great play.

I dvr'd it, and it showed the ball was out before he was down.
BB was a bit arrogant in challenging the 12 man penalty. That put us in a hole for the rest of the half.

Faulk got the 2 pointer, but it's amazing that a ref who was blocked by part of the pile came in to signal him down rather than in, which could have been challenged more easily by the Dolts.

Your DVR didn't show squat. Replaying the game tape, the ball comes out at the last possible second. Clark has three bodies all over him. Personally, I think the elbow that is cradling the ball hits the turf, causing the ball to come loose. But, IMO, at least one knee is down before that even happens. He's 250, but no way he stays off his knee with three defenders on him. The NBC replay has another angle, but the 'pea****' feathers start coming into play just as Clark is going down. At one point, you see what looks like a football, only to discover it is a defenders arm wrapping Clark up. ABsolutely NO WAY one can say with certainty the ball came out before he was technically down. Inferring from arms, legs, elbows and bodies, it is much more likely Clark was down than not.

On the two-pointer, Faulk would have to be pretty darn good at keeping his right knee/hip off the ground for all that time. He brings the ball, cradled in his left arm, over the top at the very last second. He does get the ball to the line, but again, appeared as though that happened well after a knee/hip had hit the turf.

And I thought that BJGE got the 1st down on the Dave Thomas play. But we couldn't challenge it. :(

This loss is like a Shakespearean tragedy. At least it's only Week 9 and we are in 1st place in the AFC East tough.

This is the easiest call of all. Ben Jarvis is clearly down well before the marker. He's running laterally to the line, and gets hit in the hip, and driven back by Brackett. Ball in right arm, he goes down and rolls from right shoulder onto his back. At this point, his helmet and shoulders finally cross the 30, but the ball does not. Nor did it ever.

The funny thing is, during real time, the yellow first down line was located just INSIDE the 30, which was correct. On the replay, they show the yellow line just BEFORE the 30. Now THAT I can believe as a conspiracy. Make it seem to the viewers that the call was more questionable than it was.

Last edited:
Besides..the referees did not do that bad of a job overall. They did not call lots of PI I saw of patriots players covering our wide receivers just about every time they were about to catch the football.

Besides..the referees did not do that bad of a job overall. They did not call lots of PI I saw of patriots players covering our wide receivers just about every time they were about to catch the football.

Compared to the PIs they normally call against the Pats, I can see why you'd say that.

I dont think the 12man challenge was dumb.
You onlyhave two challenge, and they shouldn't be for trivial things.

If you have a bad play, in INT, or fumble loss, or sack, then the 12-man challenge will erase the bad play. If it's thrid or fourth and less than five yards to a first down, you can pick up a keep first down.

But there is NO key five yard pick up on 1st and 10 near mid-field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes