PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D Mac #3 ranked Safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Revis and Browner on this team, I predict DMac will show just how elite he is this season and will shut the critics up.
This is the real year to see what we have with McCourtey. He has solid guys next to him so he's not going to be picking up slack for the other guys. I am not sure who we're going to start next to him (Harmon?) but I hope we wait till the end up the year to give him the $30-$40 million extension when we see what we get from him this year. I have never been his biggest fan and I would certainly say there are better guys out there (Ward, Rolle, Byrd, Thomas) but I hope he has a great year.

We already know what we have with him. He is an all-pro FS. End of discussion. The only people who seem to be his "critics" are people who coincidentally dont seem to underrated anything about the game.

I've been away and bought a NFL preview magazine by Anthon's (sp) sports for reading. They listed the top players by position. I was surprised when they listed Devin as the #3 safety in the NFL.

I don't have a lot of time as I'm heading back away from computers and the internet for the next few days. But I thought I would post this for a discussion piece for the forum.
McCourty is an interesting player, he is one of those rare players that receive more appreciation nationally from other fan bases than he does from his own (not to say a many do not appreciate him). He is a terrific player, I think too many fans remain fixated on his second season when he struggled, and they view his move to safety as something that occurred due to his shortcomings at cornerback.

This season is going to be a name on the map type of season for McCourty. Playing with Revis and Browner will allow him the opportunity to make plays on the football, which is his strength, I think he has the potential to have a monster Ed Reed type season. McCourty is one of my favorite players; he embodies what the Patriots love.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000312210/GameDay-Colts-vs-Patriots-highlights

Colts first TD you could say McCourty is late but unless you know the play call, you don't know if he's left his coverage once he's seen where the ball is going or if he is actually late. Dennard is in coverage

Colts big gain in the 3rd - Gregory is the safety on that side of the play, Dennard once again is in coverage.

Next highlight is a Colts TD - Gregory is in coverage and McCourty tracks back leaving his own coverage assignment seeing Gregory beat with the ball already in the air and makes a tackle, albeit in the end zone.

Nothing there screams "horrible" play by McCourty.

Two deep, that is the coverage the Pats play most of the time. So it is the safety's job to cover over the top. If he is not supposed to be covering Brazill, then who is he covering? there is nobody else. I just watched the game a few nights ago. Please tell me anything he did in that game that would make you think he is a top notch safety??

At least Dennard made up for his mistakes with the biggest play of the game!

this is the magazine
img
only TFB is on the cover. I don't have it here, it's at camp. Thomas was #1 but I can't remember who was next but Devin was ahead of Bryd.

It's a good magazine to get and it's available now almost anywhere. Sorry I can't give any more info than that, and I'm leaving to go back to camp so I won't be posting until next week.

Do people honestly not remember the dumpster fire that we had at the position in 2011?

For all of those who do no think DMC is a top tier FS tell me which of these FS you would want over him:
Tyrann Matheiu
Dwight Lowry
Darian Stewart
Da'Norris Searcy
Thomas DeCoud
Chris Conte
Reggie Nelson
Tashaun Gipson
Barry Church
Rahim Moore
Glover Quin
Haha Clinton Dix
Chris Clemons
LaRon Landry
Josh Evans
Husain Abdullah
Louis Delmas
Harrison Smith
Jarius Bryd
Quinten Demps
Antonio Allen
Charles Woodson
Malcolm Jenkins
Mike Mitchell
Eric Weddle
Earl Thomas
Eric Reid
Rodney McLeod
Dashaun Goldson
Michael Griffin
Ryan Clark

I would take Thomas and Bryd over him, that's it

Go watch the Indy game, two long touchdowns given up. In a game that the Pats should have had easily, they let Luck score a TD on THREE PLAYS! McCourty was the defender on both of Luck's long TD passes.

I don't know whose fault it was on the 2nd long TD. But if it was McCourty well he made one mistake against a very very speedy receiver. I've seen Earl Thomas get beat by Welker deep for a TD in 2012...now which is more terrible? Getting beat by a speedy receiver who blows right by you or a slow slot receiver?

all DB's get beat....fans only remember what they WANT to to feed their hate of certain players.

They just hate themselves so they are just projecting.

I like McCourty at safety. I like McCourty at safety, a lot. I think McCourty at safety has been even more successful than Eugene Wilson at safety, and that's saying something, because I loved Eugene at safety before he got the injuries and became gun shy. Having said that...

McCourty's not the #3 safety in the NFL. He's not better than Byrd. he's not better than Thomas. He's not better than Berry. That's a quick three right there.

Isnt Eric Berry a SS?

The O.P. says safety, and doesn't split the position.
Ahhh ok, I still have my head in the debacle from the other day when people were talking about Strong Safeties in a discussion about Free Safeties.

For all of those who do no think DMC is a top tier FS tell me which of these FS you would want over him:
Tyrann Matheiu
Dwight Lowry
Darian Stewart
Da'Norris Searcy
Thomas DeCoud
Chris Conte
Reggie Nelson
Tashaun Gipson
Barry Church
Rahim Moore
Glover Quin
Haha Clinton Dix
Chris Clemons
LaRon Landry
Josh Evans
Husain Abdullah
Louis Delmas
Harrison Smith
Jarius Bryd
Quinten Demps
Antonio Allen
Charles Woodson
Malcolm Jenkins
Mike Mitchell
Eric Weddle
Earl Thomas
Eric Reid
Rodney McLeod
Dashaun Goldson
Michael Griffin
Ryan Clark

I would take Thomas and Bryd over him, that's it
Not that it has to do with McCourty, but Byrd is the most overrated S in the NFL.

I think they will be able to turn McCourty lose this year. He won't have to play center field as much and should be able to make some plays.

One was his coverage. The other wasn't even close to his.
Thats all you have, getting beaten once?

That and he dosent understand a pass rush and he is a phony moderator. I am close to releasing the hounds!

brady_moss used that one the other day talking about deters. Got anything original?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents