PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D & C locked out of WEEI, might be an opportunity for a Pats Apologist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
EEI and RKO are in a joint death spiral. Really bad management is destroying the product. Sucking up to the Sox 24/7 is insufficient to save the stations.

WEEI will be fine w/o D&C IMO. They've established themselves as the #1 Sports Talk station in the country & they are bigger than any one individual program.

Oh, please. Both of them served a two week suspsension over the comment.

Bigot. You want to see a bigot look at Sharpton and "Rev" Jackson.

Sorry, but 1 stupid comment doesn't make you David Duke.

People need to get a little thicker skin. But then again this Mass home to Ted "what bridge" Kennedy, and John "Purple Heart" Kerry...

It wasn't "one stupid comment"...first, it's one INCREDIBLY stupid comment, and it's supported by a history of subtle to not so subtle racist remarks by the D&C. When a duo is constantly engaging in racially charged dialogue, one blatantly racist comment such as the Metco remark really reveals their true colors.

It hits a larger issue. Both D&C's political views are tiresome. When I turn on sports news, I'd like to hear SPORTS. If I wanted to hear about politics, I'd turn the dial.

Hopefully someone at EEI is realizing this fact, and realizing that there are people who can do a better job out there than Dennis or Callahan. I'm sure I'm not the only one who got tired of hearing D&C's political rants on a daily basis when I'd much rather hear about the Pats, Sox or C's.

Last edited:
Oh, please. Both of them served a two week suspsension over the comment.

Bigot. You want to see a bigot look at Sharpton and "Rev" Jackson.

Sorry, but 1 stupid comment doesn't make you David Duke.

People need to get a little thicker skin. But then again this Mass home to Ted "what bridge" Kennedy, and John "Purple Heart" Kerry...

good post. this was a case of one stupid comment. this comment wasn't nearly as bad as michael irvin's comment about cowboys qb tony romo. anyways, stupid comment aside they shouldn't lose there jobs because of it. although, we do live in the world ADD and paxil and "people have feelings too you know". people can change, remember, robert byrd, democratic senator and former kkk leader, is the longest serving us congressman.

It wasn't "one stupid comment"...first, it's one INCREDIBLY stupid comment, and it's supported by a history of subtle to not so subtle racist remarks by the D&C. When a duo is constantly engaging in racially charged dialogue, one blatantly racist comment such as the Metco remark really reveals their true colors.

It hits a larger issue. Both D&C's political views are tiresome. When I turn on sports news, I'd like to hear SPORTS. If I wanted to hear about politics, I'd turn the dial.

Hopefully someone at EEI is realizing this fact, and realizing that there are people who can do a better job out there than Dennis or Callahan. I'm sure I'm not the only one who got tired of hearing D&C's political rants on a daily basis when I'd much rather hear about the Pats, Sox or C's.

Are you really that sensitive to a stupid comment, or jus don't like their politics. As an FYI, John Dennis was the guy who make the METCO statement, Callihan didn't say a thing.

Their political views are tiring to you, not to the majority of listeners. If they were their ratings would be going down. The are number one in the market for listeners who have money to spend. As for their "history of subtle to not so subtle racist remarks", who is the judge? Are you the person who decides what is racist and what is PC, and why should they be PC? Insecurity is a bad thing in radio and in life, and they don't suffer from that mallady. As a resident of Massachusetts I read the Globe, even though I don't agree with most of their opinion. Most of their opinion is reverse racist, should they be banned? Should their opinion be censored for content? What about the Herald, they are about as worthless an almost republican rag as there can be. Are they racist and hateful? Or are you just smelling blood in the water?

D&C have become popular because of the whole package, not because they are racist or not racist. They talk intelligently about a wide range of topics. Some of them I agree with, some I don't, but I would never try to judge them as racist, just as I would never try to judge you. It will be a huge gamble for Enticom to allow them to walk away. They bring in ratings and advertisers, something another couple may not do. If Enticom doesn't want to pay them then the war is on. My guess is that the advertisers will have the final say and Enticom will put a hard figure on how much short term revenue they can afford to lose. I would guess somewhere around 10% is the figure, and that is probably a large amount of money. If the revenue falls below that figure during their paid vacation, they get their way and their money. If the figures stay abouve that figure then Enticom can play hardball.

From a business standpoint, Enticom shouldn't take their politics into consideration, except if they have to replace them. Part of their schtick is their opinion, and the differences between the two opinions. Remember, they replaced a political talk show that was doing very well and many of Imus' viewers stayed on as WEEI listeners. It isn't about controversy, as a matter of fact this may be a publicity stunt, it is about ratings and numbers. Politics have, or shouldn't have, anything to do with it.

WEEI will be fine w/o D&C IMO. They've established themselves as the #1 Sports Talk station in the country & they are bigger than any one individual program.

People don't tune into stations, they tune into shows and hosts. They aren't Coca-cola, or a major league franchise. If the hosts didn't matter, they'd fire them, and hire any bum for a fraction of the cost.

I will NEVER listen to WEEI if they give the job to the moron Meterparrell.

He has the most annoying voice in the WORLD!!!! Worse than Gresh!!!

Are you really that sensitive to a stupid comment, or jus don't like their politics. As an FYI, John Dennis was the guy who make the METCO statement, Callihan didn't say a thing.

It was banter between the two if I recall - and I think Callahan's response was some kind of affirmative like "right" or "exactly", basically, he went along with it.

I don't consider myself sensitive to "stupid comments". It takes a lot to offend me - my sense of humor is somewhere in the Sarah Silverman-offensiveness range - but this wasn't your run of the mill anti-PC comment, it was rather mean-spirited, which might be OK if there were some humor to redeem it, but there wasn't. It was just a dumb, racially motivated comment. Its besides the point. You just can't say that on the radio and not be held accountable for it.

Their political views are tiring to you, not to the majority of listeners. If they were their ratings would be going down. The are number one in the market for listeners who have money to spend. As for their "history of subtle to not so subtle racist remarks", who is the judge? Are you the person who decides what is racist and what is PC, and why should they be PC? Insecurity is a bad thing in radio and in life, and they don't suffer from that mallady. As a resident of Massachusetts I read the Globe, even though I don't agree with most of their opinion. Most of their opinion is reverse racist, should they be banned? Should their opinion be censored for content? What about the Herald, they are about as worthless an almost republican rag as there can be. Are they racist and hateful? Or are you just smelling blood in the water?

D&C have become popular because of the whole package, not because they are racist or not racist. They talk intelligently about a wide range of topics. Some of them I agree with, some I don't, but I would never try to judge them as racist, just as I would never try to judge you. It will be a huge gamble for Enticom to allow them to walk away. They bring in ratings and advertisers, something another couple may not do. If Enticom doesn't want to pay them then the war is on. My guess is that the advertisers will have the final say and Enticom will put a hard figure on how much short term revenue they can afford to lose. I would guess somewhere around 10% is the figure, and that is probably a large amount of money. If the revenue falls below that figure during their paid vacation, they get their way and their money. If the figures stay abouve that figure then Enticom can play hardball.

From a business standpoint, Enticom shouldn't take their politics into consideration, except if they have to replace them. Part of their schtick is their opinion, and the differences between the two opinions. Remember, they replaced a political talk show that was doing very well and many of Imus' viewers stayed on as WEEI listeners. It isn't about controversy, as a matter of fact this may be a publicity stunt, it is about ratings and numbers. Politics have, or shouldn't have, anything to do with it.

To me, if there are ratings that prove the politics D&C spout is good for business, then so be it. I've always viewed it as the status quo - D&C talk politics, and that's that.

Does anyone have numbers on their recent ratings? I would be very surprised if they've actually gone down in the absence of Callahan and - periodically - Dennis.

And politics SHOULD have something to do with is because its a SPORTS TALK SHOW. It'd be like going to a steak house and seeing a vegetarian menu.

At the end of the day, I could care less if they skew right or left, granted, Callahan's blind bias towards the right gets annoying, just as a blind bias against the left is annoying. Neither of the two seems overwhelmingly intelligent or particularly adept at talking politics, it just happens that one has a passion for politics.

Basically, all I'm saying is that I just want to hear some friggin sports talk - preferably Boston-centric - on my way to work. I don't consider that a lot to ask when I tune my station to WEEI 850 SPORTS TALK RADIO, but apparently, with D&C around, it is.

Last edited:
People don't tune into stations, they tune into shows and hosts. They aren't Coca-cola, or a major league franchise. If the hosts didn't matter, they'd fire them, and hire any bum for a fraction of the cost.

I disagree with your 1st statement. Granted there are more & more sports talk stations now, but WEEI has a lengthy history. Loyal listeners will continue to listen. As long as the majority of the discussion surrounds sports they will continue to have a strangle hold on that market.

I disagree with your 1st statement. Granted there are more & more sports talk stations now, but WEEI has a lengthy history. Loyal listeners will continue to listen. As long as the majority of the discussion surrounds sports they will continue to have a strangle hold on that market.

Au contraire loyal listeners have already stoped listening.

Every time those of us left leaners pick on some beloved right-wing figurehead we get the "Yeah but, yeah but, Al Sharpton is racist! Kennedy killed a girl!"

As if two wrongs make a right. I don't like any of those people personally. Do I have the right to criticize some of them now?

Every time those of us left leaners pick on some beloved right-wing figurehead we get the "Yeah but, yeah but, Al Sharpton is racist! Kennedy killed a girl!"

As if two wrongs make a right. I don't like any of those people personally. Do I have the right to criticize some of them now?

But you see, that is the issue. Half way down the first page politics were used as an excuse to get rid of them. Let's face it, if this were just about any other city it wouldn't matter. I like the fact that D&C will talk about something other than baseball during baseball season. I like the fact that they can talk politics and sports with equal understanding of each topic. In most other regions Callihan would be considered a moderate Republican, here he is considered just right of John Birch. Left leaners, right leaners, it doesn't really matter, you tune into their show because of the personality of that particular show. Let's face it, how many timescan you argue about an incomplete pass or a strike out before it gets very old?

There is nothing wrong with critisism, but to say that they shouldn't be on the air because of their political views is wrong. If that didn't work, they would have been replaced long ago. It really is a schtick, maybe it is sincere, but it is still their schtick. Total sports programming in the morning didn't work for them. They tried to do it and the ratings tanked. They talk current events when it is hot topic, or sports when it is hot. It might not work in NY or Chicago, but it works here. I have to tell you, when I here Mustard and Johnson on, I listen to music. When I here Planet Mikey, its music. When it is football season and all the talk is Red Sox, its music. I need to be interested, not entertained. The baseball season is 6 months long, its like listening to paint dry, the same thing over and over and over...

From a business decision, ratings will decide. From a rating decision, they will be back. From a political decision, they should be back because they are good for business. The only reason they won't be back is if they over-price themselves. If enough advertisers pull their ads, or try to renegotiate their terms, they will be back. If Jason Wolfe makes the wrong decision, he will be looking for a new job. It should be interesting.

But you see, that is the issue. Half way down the first page politics were used as an excuse to get rid of them. Let's face it, if this were just about any other city it wouldn't matter. I like the fact that D&C will talk about something other than baseball during baseball season. I like the fact that they can talk politics and sports with equal understanding of each topic.

Their understanding of both subjects is pretty weak. Callahan, I'd say has a much stronger grasp on sports than Dennis. Dennis seems to have a very pedestrian knowledge.

There is nothing wrong with critisism, but to say that they shouldn't be on the air because of their political views is wrong.

You are completely missing the point.

There's two separate issues:
1) I think Callahan and Dennis have occassionally inane political views and aren't qualified to talk politics (and in general, I suspect most people think the idea of hearing their dose of political discourse from a pair of SPORTS COMMENTATORS sounds as ridicolous as getting sports talk from political commentators.)

We can for the moment completely ignore point 1 and focus on:
2) Outside of the fact that their political views are sometimes ridicolous, isn't it the job of a sports talk station to talk sports?

I have to tell you, when I here Mustard and Johnson on, I listen to music. When I here Planet Mikey, its music. When it is football season and all the talk is Red Sox, its music. I need to be interested, not entertained. The baseball season is 6 months long, its like listening to paint dry, the same thing over and over and over...

Then turn the dial to 680 or 1030 or something like that. Again, I don't think I'm asking for something outrageous asking for sports talk in the morning on a sports talk station.

Last edited:
You are completely missing the point.

There's two separate issues:
1) I think Callahan and Dennis have occassionally inane political views and aren't qualified to talk politics (and in general, I suspect most people think the idea of hearing their dose of political discourse from a pair of SPORTS COMMENTATORS sounds as ridicolous as getting sports talk from political commentators.)

2) Outside of the fact that their political views are sometimes ridicolous, isn't it the job of a sports talk station to talk sports?

Why aren't they qualified to talk politics? Do you live in the United States? Have you seen who some of our politicians are? My sisters dog is qualified to talk politics, and if he isn't, then my 2 year old nephew certainly is.

Bush, Kennedy, Kerry, Quayle, Menino, Lott, etc... just to name a few.

Btw, are their political views ridiculous because you disagree with them? If you do, or don't like that they don't talk more sports, don't tune in. Obviously their set-up is doing something right since they've been mopping the floor with all of their competition.

Think of people like Howard Stern, Howie Carr, Matty in the morning, etc. People don't tune into the station, they tune in to listen to those specific hosts. When Craig Mustard was on in the morning, or prior to D&C, what were the ratings like? Ratings are driven by content, and content is the direct product of the host(s). Loyal listeners are attached to people, and not stations, unless of course your playing a specific genre of music. For example, if they put in some loud mouth I don't like, I'll switch to ESPN Boston in the morning, or will follow D & C where ever they go. I used to listen to John Dipetro on occasion on WRKO, and since he's gone, I don't tune in as I think Finneran is brutal to listen to. In talk radio, it's all about the hosts.

I hope they move on just so we might find out exactly what little 'Meter' really thinks of them. Say what you will about his lack of a manly speaking voice, when it comes to knowledge of objective fact, stuff like Cal Ripken's batting average with RISP in 1999, he blew those two out of the water. I can't imagine the depths of what he had to endure as an intern when it was his job to get John Dennis (still half in the bag from the night before) ready to go on air by 6 AM.

EEI and RKO are in a joint death spiral. Really bad management is destroying the product. Sucking up to the Sox 24/7 is insufficient to save the stations.
Your absalutly correct, I can't remember the last time I turned eei on and heard anything about the Pats. They 've sold out completly trying to hype the Red Sox,and Celtics. The Sox don't need any hyping they'll sell themselves eei has become a wast of airwaves as far as the pats fan goes.

DeOssie is great - and his views on other sports aren't painful. The guy played college baseball, he knows what he's talking about.
No, he doesn't. Just the other day, when discussing Barry Bonds, he said "And Barry's been in San Francisco what...? 5 or 6 years now...?" It's actually 14, Steve.

The morning drive has sucked on both WEEI and WRKO all summer long.

Last edited:
People need to quit whining about this issue... From day 1, they have billed themselves as "Guy Talk Radio." They have openly stated they will talk sports, as well as news issues of the day. That's the format of the show. Period. All too often this criticism comes from people who just don't align politically.

To quote Mike Tyson: "If you don't like it, change the channel."

Last edited:
Well I hope they move Dale into the morning with Neumy or De'Ossie, and then get Micheal Smith to go with Holley. ESPN might not like that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back