PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS NEWS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

facepalm.gif

That player must be "designated for return" at the time the club places him on Reserve/Injured, and such designation shall appear on that day's Personnel Notice.

NFL Approves New IR Rule, Desmond Bishop Can Return This Season - Acme Packing Company

Patriots Release 22 Players and Place Rookie Jeff Demps on IR

Patriots Release 22 Players and Place Rookie Jeff Demps on IR

Patriots placed rookie free agent RB Jeff Demps on injured reserve.

Patriots.com | Transactions

Jeff Demps Placed on IR (leg)

New England Patriots Transactions at NFL.com

So is your argument now that there's a major ambiguity AND that nobody is putting the "designated for return" on the transaction lists?

Look, I'd love to get Demps back, although I'm not sure I'd want the team to spend the designation on him. However, the available evidence in this situation points to him not being eligible.

Last edited:

Never mind the fact that designation can't take place till 9/4 and has to be on the 53.

Thus Demps will not be on the 53 on 9/4 and no longer eligible for the designation.

Here's the text of the rule, from the NFLPA (this does not include the exception):

NFL Approves New IR Rule, Desmond Bishop Can Return This Season - Acme Packing Company

Here is the press release on the new rule and the exception for 2012.

NFL-NFLPA AGREE TO ADOPT BYLAW PROPOSALS
INVOLVING TRADE DEADLINE, INJURED RESERVE RULES
The NFL Management Council and NFL Players Association have agreed to adopt 2012 Bylaw Proposals
No. 2 and No. 6A, the NFL and NFLPA announced today.
Bylaw proposal No. 2 moves the trading deadline from Tuesday, October 16 – the Tuesday after Week 6
of the regular season – to Tuesday, October 30, the Tuesday after Week 8.
Bylaw proposal No. 6A permits clubs to re-activate one player from Reserve/Injured during the 2012
season, subject to certain restrictions.
Since this rule is being adopted after the cutdown to 75 players, for 2012 only, the NFL and NFLPA have
agreed to a transition procedure that permits clubs to return to their 53-player active list one player placed
on Reserve/Injured since the start of preseason training camp. This selection of that player must be made
no later than 9:00 p.m. ET tomorrow, Friday, August 31
Following the cutdown to 53 players, the new Reserve/Injured rule will work as follows:
1. Only players with a “major injury” who are placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York
time, on Tuesday, September 4, or thereafter during the season, will be eligible to be
reactivated at a later time.
2. A “major injury” is defined as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football
for at least six weeks (42 calendar days) from the date of injury.
3. Each team may reactivate only one player placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York
time, on Tuesday, September 4. That player must be “designated for return” at the time the
club places him on Reserve/Injured, and such designation shall appear on that day’s Personnel
Notice.
4. Such player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least six
weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the Active List if he has
been on Reserve/Injured for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve.

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/08-30-12-nfl-nflpa-adopt-bylaw-proposals-2.pdf

An according to the rule that designation does not take place to the 4th at 4pm. Thus Demps is done for the year. He had to be on the 53 man roster today to be eligible.

You are probably correct, although the fact that the roster is at 52 vs 53 right now gives me a little pause. I am sure it will all clear out in a day or so

Last edited:
You are probably correct, although the fact that the roster is at 52 vs 53 right now gives me a little pause. I am sure it will all clear out in a day or so

Not me. The have the roster spot I think to either activate Waters from the did not report list or if they claim someone on waivers.

It is pretty cut and dry Demps is done for the year.

You are wrong, assuming what's been published is the correct version of the rule. He had to be designated as part of the roster by 9pm and then designated as the IR guy come September 4th. He was put on IR instead.

Take this debate to another thread, please.

The unanswered question is WHY we put Demps on IR instead of waiting a week and having available for later this season.

That's rather obvious. The Pats do not want to lose Demps to another team, and, the guy isn't football-ready after ten days of practice and a couple of meaningless games. This way he can come in, rehab, lift weights, watch film, decorate Waters' locker, and wait for you guys to make a final ruling on the IR rule.

The unanswered question is WHY we put Demps on IR instead of waiting a week and having available for later this season.

Its also very debatable whether you would want to waste the sole available slot on a KR.

Its also very debatable whether you would want to waste the sole available slot on a KR.

I agree with Andy here Demps is flashy but he is not going to play a huge role this season. He is not physically built for the NFL yet, and he has only been here for a week so his knowledge to the scheme is minimal.

I see Demps redshirting this season and being in the position to replace Woodhead as 3rd down RB and KR next season because I find it unlikely we would pay Woodhead what he may get in FA after the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes