PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS NEWS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he's done for the year. That's not how the new IR rule works. Have to be placed there after 4 p.m. on Sept. 4 to be able to come back later in the year.

#@%@#%@#%#@%%

That sucks.

Last edited:
Wait, this leaves one spot open doesn't it??

Brian Waters roster spot?? :confused:

I'll believe that when he's here. I think we are saving a spot for a waiver pickup. You would think it would be a receiver, maybe someone who knows the offense. I'm sure there are AT LEAST three guys out there who fit that bill.

I can't believe these are the best 53 players of the 90+ we had in camp.

No, he's done for the year. That's not how the new IR rule works. Have to be placed there after 4 p.m. on Sept. 4 to be able to come back later in the year.

I don't think this is correct. I think they could have designated him.
The NFL has altered a rule as it relates to injured reserve. Until today, all players placed on injured reserve were done for the season, barring a negotiated injury settlement.

But now, teams can designate one player who can come off IR per season. The designation has to be made as soon as the player is placed on IR. (For instance, a team can’t place a player on IR on Sept. 10, realize his recovery has gone better than expected by Nov. 5 and activate him.) If a player receives that designation, he cannot practice for at least six weeks and can’t return to the 53-man roster for eight weeks.

However, there is one exception for 2012 since the rule went into effect today, which is understandably late in the process. If a team wishes, it can retroactively designate one player who is already on injured reserve as a player who can return this season. Teams have until 9 p.m. tomorrow to make any such designation. If a team does go that route, that is still its one designated player for this season.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...jured-reserve-rule-could-impact-the-patriots/

Last edited:
Have we seen any news of players coming/remaining on PuP?

That list is Myron Pryor and Jake Ballard, yes?

They can designate him and he can return after week 8. Per NFL.com

"Teams will also now be allowed to bring one player back to the active roster from injured reserve during the regular season, with some restrictions.

Since the new IR rule is being adopted after the 75-man roster cuts, for the 2012 season only, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a transition process that allows teams to activate one player back to the 53-man roster who has been put on IR since the start of training camp.

However, the player must be reactivated no later than 9 p.m. ET on Friday.

Going forward, a team who wishes to bring a player back that player must be "designated for return" at the same time they are put on IR after the 53-man roster cut."

I didn't just guess that was the rule, it is the rule. Read:

Previously, any player put on IR was lost for the entire season. Now, if a player is hurt and put on injured reserve after Sept. 4, that player may return to the active roster eight weeks after the IR designation, and the player must be on the IR list for at least six weeks. In addition, a player must be "designated for return" at the time of his IR classification, which means that a team must anticipate a player's ability to return midseason. Teams can't just hope their key injured player will recover in time.

So this is what the roster looks like currently:

QB (2) Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett
Happy here

RB (4) Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden
Congrates Brandon, sucks about Demps, hope they are able to bring Demps back midseason.

WR (4) Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater
TE (4) Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells, Visanthe Shiancoe
Well I thought we would keep 6 wr 3 TE way off here, missed on Branch & Gaffney from my projection, I expect one of them back this season (guessing Branch after game 1).

C (2) Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell
G (4) Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Donald Thomas, Nick McDonald
T (3) Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon
I heard today (Curran) that Waters locker was fully stocked with practice gear pads and so forth, my guess he is back Tuesday

DE (4) Chandler Jones, Jake Bequette, Trevor Scott, Justin Francis
DT (5) Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Ron Brace, Marcus Forston, Brandon Deaderick
Only surprise here is Forston who I thought would go to the PS

ILB(4) Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Donta Hightower, Mike Rivera
OLB(4) Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham, Bobby Carpenter, Tracy White
I had Niko & Tapinian at LB and no White or Rivera who I thought would go to the PS, I like how Riviera looked in the Giants game, thought Tarp would get the spot due to ST, guess Niko injury was a problem and WHite ready to return?

CB (6) Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling, Kyle Arrington, Marquice Cole, Alfonzo Dennard, Sterling Moore
SS (2) Steve Gregory, Nate Ebner
FS (2) Patrick Chung, Tavon Wilson
This is what I hoped for in the Secondary, thought Ihedigbo could get a ST slot, guess Ebner & Cole made that unnecessary.

ST (3) Stephen Gostkowski, Danny Aiken, Zoltan Mesko
As expected

27 on D, 23 on O, I still think Gaffney and or Branch will be back, perhaps moving Forston and or Rivera to the PS in a few weeks?

Shiancoe and White must be close to returning.

So this is what the roster looks like currently:

G (4) Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Donald Thomas, Nick McDonald
I heard today (Curran) that Waters locker was fully stocked with practice gear pads and so forth, my guess he is back Tuesday

27 on D, 23 on O

Waters is still on the did not report list, so we are officially short one player (only 22 offense). Maybe one of the players put on IR previously was kept on the 53 man roster in order to be moved to the new IR list (I guess Demps doesn't qualify based on the other thread)? Or maybe we left one slot open to pick up someone off of waivers ...

I didn't just guess that was the rule, it is the rule. Read:

you are wrong.

If a team wishes, it can retroactively designate one player who is already on injured reserve as a player who can return this season. Teams have until 9 p.m. tomorrow to make any such designation

Again, Demps cannot come back this year.

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard

Under the new IR rule, the player has to be on the 53 tonight and then you can't move him to IR until after 4 p.m September 4

I'm sure one of the sports writers would have found this "loophole" if there was one.

you are wrong.

You are wrong, assuming what's been published is the correct version of the rule. He had to be designated as part of the roster by 9pm and then designated as the IR guy come September 4th. He was put on IR instead.

Last edited:
you are both wrong.

You are wrong, assuming what's been published is the correct version of the rule. He had to be designated as part of the roster by 9pm and then designated as the IR guy come September 4th. He was put on IR instead.

others have said otherwise:

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Blitz» Blog Archive » How the new injured reserve rule could impact the Patriots
If a team wishes, it can retroactively designate one player who is already on injured reserve as a player who can return this season. Teams have until 9 p.m. tomorrow to make any such designation

First, that article is incomplete in that it doesn't have the rule itself. Second, it doesn't support your argument.

However, there is one exception for 2012 since the rule went into effect today, which is understandably late in the process. If a team wishes, it can retroactively designate one player who is already on injured reserve as a player who can return this season. Teams have until 9 p.m. tomorrow to make any such designation.

Notice that the bolded does not apply to Demps.

Last edited:
First, that article is incomplete. Second, it doesn't support your argument.

It is clear that teams are allowed an exception. The details are unclear, although teams could designate retroactively. I think this would include a player placed today. Let's wait and see.

It is clear that teams are allowed an exception. The details are unclear, although teams could designate retroactively. I think this would include a player placed today. Let's wait and see.

It sounds as if the exception only applies to player placed on IR prior to the rule change, which makes perfect sense.

The details aren't unclear at all. If the rule is actually the one reported and posted, Demps cannot return.

Last edited:
First, that article is incomplete in that it doesn't have the rule itself. Second, it doesn't support your argument.

Notice that the bolded does not apply to Demps.

Is that bolded part actually as written or someone's quick interpretation of the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3