PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran's reporting on Mayo being the next head coach

So Josina says that Belichick will try to bring some of his people to his next stop? If those people are Joe Judge and Cam Achord, I’m fine with that….
Neither of those will be here next year and McDaniels will go where BB goes. BOB goes elsewhere

If you take away the PR fluff about how great and smart he is (unproven) and playing career Jerod Mayo has proven the same amount as a football coach as Steve Belichick which is he can run what Bill tells him defensively.

If Groh is the GM and McD or BOB is the OC this isn't change, this is just the same old crap of the past 4 years with a rebranding and a guy who will listen to Kraft more.

Where is the new offensive identity we clearly need going to come from?

More insular thinking with a coach who hasn't coached or played outside of New England.

If you take away the PR fluff about how great and smart he is (unproven) and playing career Jerod Mayo has proven the same amount as a football coach as Steve Belichick which is he can run what Bill tells him defensively.

If Groh is the GM and McD or BOB is the OC this isn't change, this is just the same old crap of the past 4 years with a rebranding and a guy who will listen to Kraft more.

Where is the new offensive identity we clearly need going to come from?
At a huge $aving$.

I'd assume:

GM: Groh
HC: Mayo
OC: Obie
DC: Belichick

Steve probably wants to step out from under his dad's shadow.

Al Groh's kid (or Steve Cargrille for that matter) is an incompetent toady who must Never EVER be allowed to be this team's Grocery Shopper.

I would think so. If Vrabel does not get another HC job, maybe he is the DC for BB and then HC when BB retires in 2 or 3 years. McDaniels will be the OC, and Ziegler will be the shadow GM.

Having Ziggy the Pinhead as GM of the NEP would be on the same level of Terribleness as having Al Groh's kid or Steve Cargrille as GM.

To me the major reason is to get someone who is a better GM and who actually understands a modern offense. Mayo being a first year head coach could mean that we still interview GM's and they have sole team building responsibilities minus the defensive side and we bring in an OC who can operate very independetly until/unless Mayo shows competency there.

People say they are worried of getting rid of the defensive continuity. Well this is how it can be done. Keep the guy heading up the defense, get new offensive and team building in Patriots place. Mayo could actually just solve every problem because you are effectively dropping all the baggage of Bill's responsibilities with HC but getting someone who knows how to run his defense via being part of it and coaching it.
The 3 best HC candidates are all defensive guys: Vrabel,Mayo and Flores.
So get a quality OC and GM like you said and the defense will remain very good.
Flores is the best defensive coach of the 3. He came up under Bill but he's more aggressive. He's a smart guy and I think he's learned from his mistakes just like Bill did. Brian was a bit too much of a hardass, just like Bill was in Cleveland.
Not saying he's gonna be the equal to the GOAT HC but I think he could become one of the best in the NFL.

Like Curran or not he nailed this one.
its easy when your twitter header image is with the future HC of the pats and you have a relationship with him.
Maybe it was BB's time to go but i hate how the krafts and mayo did this..wouldve been better to not even extend BB's contract last yr.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back