PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran's reporting on Mayo being the next head coach

Was there ever any legit words out of the Krafts mouths that Mayo was in line to be next??

We all assume that, just like we assumed when JMD canned the Colts to come back that he was given that promise.

I just pray it's not Mayo. I don't think he's ready. And I'm not sure any high-value OC would work for such an inexperienced newbie.
JMD wouldn't be OC under Mayo, neither would BOB.

If they hope Mayo would turn out just like Ryans in HOU, that's because they have Casserio (building that team for 3 years)
Here's what I'll say. The Krafts are calculated, articulate and savy people. What we see as outsiders could be far different than whatever they see within thier organization. If it is Mayo than that would be thier decision they have the best seat In the house to know about the coaches in the organization. Speaking for myself the only negative on Mayo is he would need experience preferably.. however there still were teams that wanted to interview him last off season for HC vacancies. So he's doing something right.

Mayo is Kraft's man-in-waiting for good reasons, I presume, and having nothing to do with skin tone.
But you know people can't help themselves they will always want to spin it the other way..

If Mayo isn't named HC it is time for Curran to move on. He has something riding on Mayo being named and is just trying to ensure his own status. And that's my fucckin slant!

Here's what I'll say. The Krafts are calculated, articulate and savy people. What we see as outsiders could be far different than whatever they see within thier organization. If it is Mayo than that would be thier decision they have the best seat In the house to know about the coaches in the organization. Speaking for myself the only negative on Mayo is he would need experience preferably.. however there still were teams that wanted to interview him last off season for HC vacancies. So he's doing something right.
We all know that the Problem with the Patriots was BB the GM. I don't think it will be a difficult position to fill BB the GM hurt the GOAT Coach.

From the outside in, it's obviously safer to go with Vrabel.

Kraft has hired three coaches: Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll, and Bill Belichick. All three are likely going to the hall of fame. Bill Parcells was on the HOF track before Kraft hired him, Pete and Belichick were not. The Belichick hiring in particular was not highly thought of at the time, esp. considering Kraft had to give up a first rounder to get him. So I'll give Kraft some (but only some) latitude in assuming he's made a thoughtful choice if he goes with Mayo.

Perhaps even more important than the HC decision is the GM decision / coaching staff. Let's see how Kraft and their HC choice navigate what is going to be a huge organizational change moving on from Bill. They deserve our support as fans, and if things go south we will surely let our displeasure be known as well. It was always going to be tough to move on from Tom, Bill got 4 years to show things were headed in the right direction and he failed to do that. If Tom had 4 tough years in a row I think we would have all been ready to move on as well.

We all know that the Problem with the Patriots was BB the GM. I don't think it will be a difficult position to fill BB the GM hurt the GOAT Coach.
Absolutely brother. If Mayo gets 5 wins next season that still would be better. LOL

From the outside in, it's obviously safer to go with Vrabel.

Kraft has hired three coaches: Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll, and Bill Belichick. All three are likely going to the hall of fame. Bill Parcells was on the HOF track before Kraft hired him, Pete and Belichick were not. The Belichick hiring in particular was not highly thought of at the time, esp. considering Kraft had to give up a first rounder to get him. So I'll give Kraft some (but only some) latitude in assuming he's made a thoughtful choice if he goes with Mayo.

Perhaps even more important than the HC decision is the GM decision / coaching staff. Let's see how Kraft and their HC choice navigate what is going to be a huge organizational change moving on from Bill. They deserve our support as fans, and if things go south we will surely let our displeasure be known as well. It was always going to be tough to move on from Tom, Bill got 4 years to show things were headed in the right direction and he failed to do that. If Tom had 4 tough years in a row I think we would have all been ready to move on as well.
He didn't hire Parcells, he inherited him, he's only hired two coaches which is amazing for all the time he's owned the team.

If Curran gets this right, I'll still take him seriously.

If he gets this wrong, to me (I know many are already there), has officially entered complete clown territory not to be trusted for anything.
Regarding Curran and others like him; Even if he's right about this, I'm reminded of the old saying that "Even a broken clock is right twice a day".

I'd assume:

GM: Groh
HC: Mayo
OC: Obie
DC: Belichick

Steve probably wants to step out from under his dad's shadow.
You may very well be proven right. Personally, I wouldn't be pleased with such a set-up. But then I'm not the owner.

I would think so. If Vrabel does not get another HC job, maybe he is the DC for BB and then HC when BB retires in 2 or 3 years. McDaniels will be the OC, and Ziegler will be the shadow GM.

Vrabel will definitely get another HC gig. This isn’t a McDaniel situation. Honestly I’m not even sure why they fired him lol.

Still mayo was the guy when vrabel wasn’t an option. Who says now the guy isn’t vrabel?

But a good point was made on the radio this morning. Maybe the patriots aren’t as a desirable situation for vrabel as other places. Like the raiders etc.

Regarding Curran and others like him; Even if he's right about this, I'm reminded of the old saying that "Even a broken clock is right twice a day".

And if he’s wrong Curran will slink out of it by saying “well it was mayo at the time but things change”

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back