PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran says Pats will target Barron if they trade up

Status
Not open for further replies.
From People asking what tape I watch:
I've watched Mark Barron against Penn State, Tennessee (2010) and SC, Florida, LSU (2011).

2010: against Penn State, he was only matched up in single coverage against a Penn State receiver in the slot once. The play didn't go to the receiver, but I thought the coverage was good. Against Tennessee, he gave up a catch to the receiver, and had another play where the receiver beat him but one of the LBs think it was Hightower) made a play on the ball. Also committed pass interference on one play.

2011: Against SC, has deep zone against Alshon Jeffery. Not bad coverage, but missed the ball, and Jeffery makes the completion and the touchdown. Also allowed a completion where the larger receiver just bodied him out of position to make the catch.

Against Florida, allowed a completion in zone where he was the closest defender, but I think they Florida just found a hole in the zone on that play. Also was in coverage deep on a play where he was beat, but the ball was just a touch overthrown. Did a good job of grabbing the receiver's arm and not getting any penalties.

Against LSU, most of the plays were running plays, and he did a very good job. Also, Lee sucks.

Conclusion: Don't get me wrong, the guy is good. He'll do a pretty good job at safety. However, he doesn't have elite speed or athleticism, and from what I watched, just isn't an elite cover guy. He does all the other things really well though (coverage of TEs, run block support, being the 'last tackle'), and is an elite recognition guy. I'd love to have him on the Patriots...I just don't think BB would trade two firsts for him.

Also, from the tape I watched, I really like Dre Kirkpatrick. I think the guy's smart, talented, and has a chance of being a Patriot (even if I do like J. Jenkins more).

That South Carolina game was in 2010 just for your info (or at least 2010-11 season).

Agree with you on Kirkpatrick - ideal Patriots fit with his ability in run support. But, and I'll drag you back on Barron here, Barron helped Kirkpatrick out a lot with over the top support and that's another reason I like him for the Pats - he may help McCourty out of his sophomore slump by allowing Mccourty to cheat under the receiver knowing Barron is there, with his ball skills and anticipation, to defend the receiver deep.

To that end, please watch the play at 3:03 here, in particular the replay from behind the QB.

Dre Kirkpatrick vs Arkansas 2011 - YouTube

Tyler Wilson, the Arkansas QB, execute a really nice play action but you'll see that Barron in the background doesn't bite. He then recognises that Kirkpatrick is one on one with the receiver down the sideline and starts cheating to that side. And then before wilson throws the ball, Barron breaks for that sideline route thus ensuring that he's in a position to make a play. In the end, although the receiver has some seperation, the ball is underthrown and jointly Kirkpatrick and Barron make a play on the ball. But if Wilson had led the receiver with the ball, only Barron would have been able to make a play on it. It's that intelligence and ability to read the game that makes him such a good pass defender.

And if you have time, one more play for you:

Courtney Upshaw vs LSU BCS Championship - YouTube

It's the championship game against LSU and the play I want you to watch is the first play, also the first play from scrimmage of the game.

Upshaw is the highlighted player and Barron is the safety on Upshaw's side. You'll see that he cheats up to about 8 yards from the LOS when the ball is snapped. He immediately recognises it's a running play and hits the right hole to stop the running play for only a one yard gain. again, excellent instincts and recognition.

I'm not trying to persuade you here - these are probably my two favourite Barron plays and just wanted to share what I see in him. It's that versatility that would make him such an asset on our defense - an extra linebacker and the over the top help that was so lacking last year on the Pats.

One final thought. I don't know what you think of Patrick Chung. I quite like him but I don't think he is or is likely to be a game changer on defense. His contract expires next year so even if you don't see him as worthy playing alongside Chung, it would be hard to make the case that he wouldn't be a serious upgrade for Chung long term.

One final thought. I don't know what you think of Patrick Chung. I quite like him but I don't think he is or is likely to be a game changer on defense. His contract expires next year so even if you don't see him as worthy playing alongside Chung, it would be hard to make the case that he wouldn't be a serious upgrade for Chung long term.

Until Chung can prove he can stay healthy, I would not be in a rush to resign him for huge dollars.

However given the utter lack of quality safties throughout the league, he might net us a quality comp pick if someone overpays for him.

manxman2601, you make a good point about Chung. I agree with you in that he's good, but not a game changer. We did invest a second-rounder in him though, and he's better than most FAs, so I'd offer him an incentive-based contract for pretty good, though not great, safety money.

That being said, I REALLY like TJ Mcdonald at the safety spot for next season. In fact, I view him much the same way you view Mark Barron - a game changer. Also, Ray-Ray Armstrong didn't have a great year this year, but the kid's the next great one if only he can cut down on some personal mistakes. Either one of them paired with Chung would really make me happy.

I think, depending on his health this season, Chung should absolutely be resigned. He's shown to be a talented player when he's on the field, and there's really a dearth of quality safety play right now around the league.

Definitely a priority re-sign, IMO.

BB hits on just about all his first round draft picks, but his record in roound 2-4 is not something to brag about. (Look at his 3rd round record alone and it is awful)

I think you're underrating his Round 2 track record a little and his Round 4 track record a lot.

Round 2 has landed Gronk, Branch, Light and a few other starting players.

Round 4 has landed Asante, Hernandez, Gostowski, Jarvis Green, and a couple years of JAG RT.

Last edited:
I read Bedard's mock draft this morning. He talks about the Jets trading up with KC to get Barron. Is this the time that BB pulls a Godfather on Pioli and asks for his services? BB did give Pioli a deal with the Cassell and Vrabel trade, when, reportedly other teams were willing to give the Pats a better deal. If BB really wants Barron and the Chiefs want to move down then I think Pioli takes slightly less from the Pats if BB wants to move up to 11 and take Barron or maybe someone else like Ingram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back