PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran says Pats will target Barron if they trade up

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is the best safety in the draft but he doesn't even have decent coverage skills. Pass! We already have Chung and we still don't know what Gregory can do. I'd also be okay if the team brought Vincent Fuller back for another look to see if he's recovered from injury.

His coverage skills are fine.

Mike mayock thinks the eagles are really interested in barron as well, so the pats may have to trade up into the top 10 to get him. Jax might be a good trade partner, given the new ownership there that seems to know what they are doing (eg, acquire multiple picks to fill holes).

No thanks, if he falls to #27 then fine, otherwise take Smith, Martin, or iloka later. Or take Lavonte David as a hybrid, which is still my first choice.

If BB feels he is the next stud safety then go for it. The playoff defense was good, and was missing three things to be a very good defense.

1. Another solid CB, Molden killed us-check (Dowling back, Will Allen as depth)

2. A good safety near Chung-not done yet(Gregory will be an upgrade, but there is no evidence he is more than meh)

3. Another starting caliber DE for the 3-4-not done yet (We got lucky with Deaderick, it's not easy finding solid 3-4 DEs, let alone the 7th round! He played very well and could improve, Love isn't suited for 3-4 DE, we need to find one in the draft)

One of those problems was already addressed with the Will Allen depth signing and Dowling returning. However in FA, another problem was created:

4. Another good OLB/pass rusher across from Ninkovich. People can say what they want but Anderson played out of his ***** and will be missed, he improved defending the run over time too, and with a full offseason would've started at the other OLB spot IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So if we trade up for Barron, that only leaves two holes on the defense from being a very good unit. (DE and OLB), We could still address one of them but I'm not sure both with a Barron trade up.

Last edited:
Im fine with trading up for barron as long as we take vinny curry in round 2.

Got a link or a quote even?

Here's the direct link to the very brief (1:07) video that Rotoworld was referring to. Curran: Patriots would move up for Barron In the video Tom Curran says he is:
"hearing from multiple sourses the Patriots, if they're going to make a move and move up in this draft, it would be for Mark Barron of Alabama. He's a safety, but he's a guy that the Dallas Cowboys, who hold the 14th overall pick, might be making a run at."​

That is it in its entirety; that is all there is to this breaking news.

I think it is important to note that Curran does not say that the Patriots are moving up; he's just saying that he is hearing that if they do it would be to go after Barron. Also there is no mention of how far they would be willing to trade up to go after Barron. And of course we don't know if the source of this information is accurate, or if it is a well-planned smokescreen.

More likely: BB trading out of the first round altogether.

I just cannot see it

BB takes big guys with ones not small guys

Again, just one pundits speculation. He knows just as much as you, me or the next person what the Pats are actually going todo. Said it a tonne of times...even the Pats don't know what they are going to do until they see the board unfold.

The only journalist I'll believe, is the guy who called the trade to move up to get Jerod Mayo, unfortunately I forget who that is. Anyone remember whom that was ?

The only journalist I'll believe, is the guy who called the trade to move up to get Jerod Mayo, unfortunately I forget who that is. Anyone remember whom that was ?

Michael holley

Didn't they trade down to get Mayo?

There wasn't a trade up, and Holley didn't predict one. He just said that he knew Mayo was the pick.

There wasn't a trade up, and Holley didn't predict one. He just said that he knew Mayo was the pick.

It was a prediction, i heard him say it that day. He never claimed any inside info, and he didn 't predict the trade down.

This won't happen. Adam schefter in a round table discussion with reiss, bruschi and jones (posted on espn boston) stated that he asked someone in the patriots organization what they were going to do on draft day. They said they don'tknow, but they will recoup at least one pick in the fifth, sixth or seventh round. That most likely means:

1. No trade up unless it involves one our second this year and/or a first next year;

2. No drafting two players in the first round.

This won't happen. Adam schefter in a round table discussion with reiss, bruschi and jones (posted on espn boston) stated that he asked someone in the patriots organization what they were going to do on draft day. They said they don'tknow, but they will recoup at least one pick in the fifth, sixth or seventh round. That most likely means:

1. No trade up unless it involves one our second this year and/or a first next year;

2. No drafting two players in the first round.

Doesn't ean anything of the sort. For example, if we were to trade both firsts for Seattle's #12, the value chart says we'd get a fourth rounder back. So we can get those later round picks back even when using higher picks to trade up.

Hmm, I don't see it. We'll be trading down, not up, to replenish our mid and later round picks, accumulate picks in the draft's sweet spot in rounds 2-3, and gain picks for 2013.

Not to mention, if we do trade up, why would it be for a strong safety? We need a rangey safety, IMO. The reason we made the Ihedigbo-McCourty switch at the end of the year is that we were asking Chung to cover too much ground. We need a centerfielder.

Hmm, I don't see it. We'll be trading down, not up, to replenish our mid and later round picks, accumulate picks in the draft's sweet spot in rounds 2-3, and gain picks for 2013.

Not to mention, if we do trade up, why would it be for a strong safety? We need a rangey safety, IMO. The reason we made the Ihedigbo-McCourty switch at the end of the year is that we were asking Chung to cover too much ground. We need a centerfielder.

Please make it stop. You've obviously never watched Barron. He's got sideline to sideline range - Barron covers more ground than Chung and would be a significant upgrade.

sorry to be a little terse but the misconceptions about Barron being an in the box safety only are just so misguided. If you watch him as much as I've done, you'll see that.

Again, just one pundits speculation. He knows just as much as you, me or the next person what the Pats are actually going todo. Said it a tonne of times...even the Pats don't know what they are going to do until they see the board unfold.

True. I was just watching an interview with a couple of other NFL GMs and they essentially were saying the same thing. They don't prepare based solely on the current pick that they are assigned; they also prepare for a scenario if they trade up or down to various spots as well.

If relatively unsuccessful teams (i.e., drafting in the top ten) approach the draft this way then it is fair to assume that relatively successful teams (i.e., playoff teams) go into the draft with just as open-minded, if not more so.

If a team picking 4th or 5th is open to moving up, down or staying put, already practically knowing exactly who will be available when they are on the clock, then of course it stands to reason that a team picking in the late 20's would be even more flexible with their approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call