PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran says Pats will target Barron if they trade up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Props to manxman2601 for calling it, if it actually happens.

I don't care for the move either..at all.

Curran states "IF" they move up, which probably isn't likely. Also we all know that Curran has mis-informed us before, so I'd take this speculation report with a big grain of salt.

I am wondering if Curran is simply seeing a need at safety, and trying to put 1 +1 together to equal 3?

Edit: Note how he also says that "they'd have to give up quite a bit to get in front of the CBoys at 14..." It just doesn't sound like a typical Belichickian move to me, but as we all know, anything is always in play during the draft.

Last edited:
meh... not news. Curran doesn't say anything that any of us haven't already realized. We urgently need help at S, and Barron fits the profile of what BB wants in his S pretty closely. But Fox and Brockers could be targets, and Ingram too. All three fit the profile at their positions, and are at positions of need. I think Curran is throwing darts like the rest of us.

Have to move up past the Bengals and Cowboys then.

I hope not.

meh... not news. Curran doesn't say anything that any of us haven't already realized. We urgently need help at S, and Barron fits the profile of what BB wants in his S pretty closely. But Fox and Brockers could be targets, and Ingram too. All three fit the profile at their positions, and are at positions of need. I think Curran is throwing darts like the rest of us.

Agreed.

I'd also much rather go front seven too, should they consider moving up.

I still doubt they move up anywhere close to that far, but I suppose anything's always possible.

No way. The last time we heard the Pats were looking to trade up for someone, it was for Cam Jordan in the top 10. And the Patriots definitely wanted Cam Jordan in the top 10.

Bro! As brilliant as Manxman is, I believe I was I that first said they should move up for Barron! :D

Props to you too then, my friend.

I think Barron is a helluva player, but slightly overrated due to the lack of potential prospects.

At any rate, whatever they do is fine with me; I just think it's a bit of a stretch, especially this latest report.

We go through this every single year though, so it's nothing new.

What do you think that thing is in the blue color?

It's not about the life and times of Barron...open the freaking link and read it!

I opened it but quickly realized it was rotoworld. I had to click out as fast as I could before my computer got stupider.

No way. The last time we heard the Pats were looking to trade up for someone, it was for Cam Jordan in the top 10. And the Patriots definitely wanted Cam Jordan in the top 10.

Good point!!!!!! Draft rule #78: If the last report is falut the next report has to be fault too!!!!!!!

(Sarcasm)

Props to you too then, my friend.

I think Barron is a helluva player, but slightly overrated due to the lack of potential prospects.

At any rate, whatever they do is fine with me; I just think it's a bit of a stretch, especially this latest report.

We go through this every single year though, so it's nothing new.

We do, but like I said in the other thread, forget the rest of the class and watch film of Barron. His talent is blatantly obvious.

Barron is an amazing player no doubt. but he plays SS like chung. We need a FS and honestly I like Harrison Smith for that position. He's a smart kid. Needs a little brushing up but with the offseason to handle that I think he could be a great choice. And he's played SS FS and LB. And who loves versatility in their players again??? Check out the video on youtube called Harrison Smith top safety 2012 draft Def a good watch

Plus it would cost to much to get into the 13 ish range. Pats wanna get defensive players that can play right away but if they give up any picks from this year just to move up and get one player, than how many more will they be able to draft THIS year?

As far as DE goes, Why not go for Jerel Worthy who should be available at the end of the 1st round. or even Nick Perry? Their film reel looks solid.

Barron does seem like a very good player.

To be perfectly honest, I am going to be happy no matter what. The aspect alone of having the capability to improve the team with fresh new talent several times over is good enough to make me happy.

If Barron is the pick, I can guarantee you that the back end will be vastly improved from last yr, with talent, competition, and good depth too. If we grab a couple of front seven picks like I'm hoping, then I think the defense will be improved from last yr--and even as poor as they played, I thought they showed something in the last 4-5 games to be excited about.

If a pick or two occurs on offense, then I think we will be locked and loaded on that side of the ball. I still think there's about 2 potential positions/players who can be improved (realistically), and however they choose to do it will be great in my opinion. If it's one pick + one team cut later in the summer, or two picks next weekend, either way the offense is going to be set up nicely.

If the Patriots trade up to the 10-13 area, why not get Melvin Ingram? I would much rather have him than Barron. I think Barron is overrated!

If we are to trade up and use both first round pick, I am only interested in taking Fletcher Cox or Melvin Ingram. I'd trade up a small distance for Barron as well, maybe using a first rounder and a second.. But please don 't let us trade up for Coples, Brockers or Poe. I will vomit if we trade up both any of those players

This guy is the best safety in the draft but he doesn't even have decent coverage skills. Pass! We already have Chung and we still don't know what Gregory can do. I'd also be okay if the team brought Vincent Fuller back for another look to see if he's recovered from injury.

Curran has on several occasions used this tactic. He speculates something that has a thread of possibility, THEN he couches the speculation in a robe of "inside information". In reality he sits at home like the rest of us and thinks up scenarios that MIGHT happen and make SOME sense. The only difference is his scenarios get coverage all over the media, and our ideas are relegated to......here. ;)

Last edited:
BTW- since everyone seems to be patting themselves on the back in this thread. I would point out that I have already given a reasonable scenario of how the Pats can comfortably move up into the early teens and STILL have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. Simply trade Ryan Mallet for Cleveland's #37 pick and then use that pick in combination with either the 27 or 31 picks and we can get to #11 (with the 27th) or the 13th (with the 31st) From there the Pats would likely have their choice of Barron, Ingram, Brockers, Couples, Poe or several others. I'd say Cox but I'm afraid he'll be gone in the top 10, and if he slips out of the top 10 Philly would take him at #11 and NOT trade with us.

Benefit to the Pats -

1.They get a pick one tier up from the quality of players they will see at the end of first round.
2. They still will have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds
3.. They now are in position to carry 2 QBs on the roster (plus one on the PS) That opens up a valuable roster spot for another rookie
4. They turned the 74th pick in 2010 into the 37th pick in 2011

Benefit to the Browns

1. They DON'T have to use the #4 and vastly over draft a risky QB prospect who will need a couple of years to develop, even they are right on him. Instead they can use it to pick the top RB or WR in the draft
2. They get a better QB prospect than they could get in the 2nd round of this draft. Plus he already has a year in a good NFL program. So instead of using #37 on Weeder or Osweiler, they use it to get Ryan Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes