PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crystal Ball Ed. - James White

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Perception shifts sharply with James White's role as key Patriots cog

One of the unforgettable moments following Super Bowl LI, which was captured by NFL Films and aired on HBO's "Inside the NFL" program, came when head coach Bill Belichick wrapped his arms around running back James White.

"Oh man, that's some football!" Belichick says as the two swayed to each side in an embrace.

"Yes it is Coach," the understated-but-smiling White responds.

"Way to go, buddy!" Belichick then says, before putting his right hand on White's head, rubbing it, and then smacking his hand onto White's right shoulder pad before saying, "I'm so proud of you."

Okay, so did anyone really see him coming? He goes from bench guy who always goes down on first contact to playing (and playing well) prominent minutes in 2015 to playing most of the way in 2016 (very very well) and then eventually becoming a SB hero (and arguably the MVP), holding the record for most receptions in the SB. Yeah, his rise seems like one run-on sentence like the one preceding this one.

Everything coming out of Foxboro is that he is extremely intelligent on the field, likable off the field and beloved in the locker room, especially by TB12, who basically called him a perfect player. He has been durable and he makes plays in the toughest of situations (even prior to the SB). I think back to the very first game of the season against AZ, for example. He made some key plays in that second half, including a ridiculous third-down highly contested grab. There were the brave few on the board who said he was better than Lewis long before he even saw significant minutes, and I think the consensus then was NO WAY (and not necessarily unwarranted at the time). But now it is White who receives an extension and Lewis being talked about as possible trade bait (no matter how valid or invalid those claims actually might be). His arrow would appear to be pointing straight up at this point. How quickly things can turn in the NFL. Imagine if Lewis never goes down? Do we ever come to know the player he's become?

So the question is simple: What do you see this upcoming season for Mr. James Calvin White (a.k.a. Mr. I'm even more classy than Ladainian Tomlinson)? Does he continue to rise? What do you project his numbers to be in 2017?

I think he puts up similar or slightly worse (because of Burkhead and potentially/hopefully Lewis) receiving numbers this year compared with the last 2 seasons. Maybe continues to improve as a runner but I see his ceiling as a rusher at like 500 yards in a year.

I expect 40-60 receptions still. What he does as a RB is anyones guess as this will be very much impacted by his own improvements as much as the way the new RBs fit.

The 3rd down back/recieving back is his role to lose.

I could envision a scenario where if he improves as a runner he could take the lead back role too but that will likely go to Rex or Gillislee. If Rex and Gillislee fall short then Lewis and White get a chance.

But again the real key for White is to keep that 3rd down role.

With this loaded offense, I don't know how he can top last season. With his pass protection and receiving skills I suspect he will continue to get a lot of snaps. It will be fun to watch!

I was on the White train for a while. 2015 made me a believer. I knew he still had things to work on but i saw the improvement throughout that year and was sold. I still remember before last year started I claimed he was better than Shane Vereen and got slammed for it. Well he is and was. He may not have Vereen's top end speed but he has enough. Also I said he is a better WR than Lewis even when Lewis is 100% healthy. Sure he can't do some things a fully healthy Lewis can do to get those extra few yards but his route tree is much better. Lewis is a guy you throw it to in the flat and ask him to make a play. He can do it usually but it is predictable. White attacks all parts of the field.

I will not say he is overall better than 2015 healthy Lewis cause he is not. However very few players are and he may never be that again. IMO as a receiving RB he is the best the Pats have had in this era. As an all around 3rd down back he is behind only Faulk (not counting that Lewis year) as the guy I'd like to have. Still can't run all that great but catching > running as value.

Jerod Mayo said on the Ex Pats podcast after the Super Bowl that James White played like "doo doo" when he first showed up in training camp. It goes to show that no one really can predict anything.

James White reviewed Shane Vereen's "Super Bowl Hero" performance just before he went out to play SBLI and said "hold my beer, watch this."

He's a third down back, won't be anything more than that because he isn't an elite runner, which is fine, because he does his job as a third down back well. I've said it before that White should be the player that we should extend prior to last season and that opinion hasn't changed. Now that he actually did get an extension I expect him to continue to be our primary third down back. He's durable, decent blocker, and runs routes well, more than good enough.

Prediction: 800 yards from scrimmage, 7 total TDs. If he improves even more he might break 1000 yards from scrimmage.

I didn't like him at all in 2014, just didn't seem to have any talents. He came on gradually in 2015 and I think exploded on the scene late in the AFCC loss at Denver, when Brady went to him and Gronk exclusively in the 4th qtr.

He has elite receiver skills for a back, and the fact of the matter is that he has better receiving skills than many of the guys who have come through Foxboro in recent years. Last year in particular he made some spectacular acrobatic catches on the sidelines; excellent leaper; great hand/eye coordination. A receiver in a small thin RBs body.

I think White is a player who is sneaky good. He seems to have a knack for making one cut that will maximize his yardage for the play.

I love White, I'm still convinced Dion was the superior player before the injury, but I think White is the sort of player that Belichick loves because he can be counted on to make positive plays. I think the signings of Gillislee and Burkhead are good examples of how this is a priority for the team.

I'm still not the biggest fan but acknowledge his skills as a 3rd down back. He is sneaky good at slipping out for screens. I expect this upcoming season to be pretty much a repeat of what we have already seen.

I wish they'd have put James White on the Madden NFL 18 cover.

Actually, I love what he brings in this offense. My favorite part of his game is his blocking. He's fearless against much bigger blitzers.

JAG

How many Pro Bowl's does he have?

He will never be better than John Hannah.

You Kool Aid drinkers know nothing.

Imagine they were actually able to replace Kevin Faulk & win a couple Super Bowls.

Somehow I feel that the Patriots will not go off the cliff the day they decide to move on from Amendola.

James White reviewed Shane Vereen's "Super Bowl Hero" performance just before he went out to play SBLI and said "hold my beer, watch this."

I'll never forget Vereen's one handed grab in the game. I can't really say White played better than Vereen or vice versa. They were both big in the game though.

Imagine they were actually able to replace Kevin Faulk & win a couple Super Bowls.

Somehow I feel that the Patriots will not go off the cliff the day they decide to move on from Amendola.

Actually Brady is the only player in history to win a Super Bowl after the team replaced every player on the roster around him, which by your logic means that every player on those championship teams were JAG's.

Last edited:
Actually Brady is the only player in history to win Super Bowls after the team replaced every player on the roster around him, which by your logic means that every player on those championship teams were JAG's.

Sorry Snowflake your wrong again !

Guys like Moss, Dillon, & Gronk were star players who opponents needed to adjust there defense to try to limit their impact on the game.

Nobody ever adjusted there defense to try to shutdown Faulk or Amendola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back