PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could This Be What Goodell Really Wants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So what if the media, coaches/players and fans are all screaming bloody murder. The replacement refs have turned the NFL into the Wild West with chaotic and unpredictable results. 10 games in week 3 were decided by 7 points or less, including 3 OT games and 3 more decided on the last play of the game:

OT: Tennessee 44-Detroit 41, NY Jets 23-Miami 20, KC 27-NO 24

Last play of regulion: Baltimore 31-NE 30, Seattle 14-GB 12 , Oakland 34-Pitt 31

Other: Dallas 16-TB 10, Jacksonville 22-Indy 17, Houston 31-Denver 25, Cincinnati 38-Washington 31

It's hard to remember a more exciting, or more controversial weekend of NFL action. And that's got to be a good thing as far as the league office is concerned. As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Everyone is talking about the NFL after last weekends games, and the unpredictability of games will attract more viewers than it will scare off. What does Goodell really care about how well the games are actually officiated or who wins? As football, it stinks. As WWE-style entertainment, it's produced great theatre.

The fans, coaches/players and media will ***** regardless of how good the refereeing is. The level of competition is so intense that a number of key plays each game will come down to a matter of inches and sometimes a judgment call. I can't remember a Pats-Ravens game in which there hasn't been an outcry about the officiating. No one will care down the road what happened during week 3, or whether it was "fair".

Everyone is calling for Goodell's head right now. But I wonder if he's secretly smiling.

Its not what Vegas or the millions who bet want. This is a billion dollar industry and like they say money talks. I'm waiting for Vegas to speak.

Last edited:
I'm not interested in side-show entertainment. I want to see Professional Football played at the highest level. The current product is embarassing and NOT entertaining. My attention clock is winding down. They have one week left to make the right call. Otherwise their sport becomes baseball to me.

But I am one fan so does it even matter?

So what if the media, coaches/players and fans are all screaming bloody murder. The replacement refs have turned the NFL into the Wild West with chaotic and unpredictable results. 10 games in week 3 were decided by 7 points or less, including 3 OT games and 3 more decided on the last play of the game:

OT: Tennessee 44-Detroit 41, NY Jets 23-Miami 20, KC 27-NO 24

Last play of regulion: Baltimore 31-NE 30, Seattle 14-GB 12 , Oakland 34-Pitt 31

Other: Dallas 16-TB 10, Jacksonville 22-Indy 17, Houston 31-Denver 25, Cincinnati 38-Washington 31

It's hard to remember a more exciting, or more controversial weekend of NFL action. And that's got to be a good thing as far as the league office is concerned. As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Everyone is talking about the NFL after last weekends games, and the unpredictability of games will attract more viewers than it will scare off. What does Goodell really care about how well the games are actually officiated or who wins? As football, it stinks. As WWE-style entertainment, it's produced great theatre.

The fans, coaches/players and media will ***** regardless of how good the refereeing is. The level of competition is so intense that a number of key plays each game will come down to a matter of inches and sometimes a judgment call. I can't remember a Pats-Ravens game in which there hasn't been an outcry about the officiating. No one will care down the road what happened during week 3, or whether it was "fair".

Everyone is calling for Goodell's head right now. But I wonder if he's secretly smiling.

Well it could certainly usher in a new era of drinking games.

Everyone takes a shot whenever there is a bad call.

Of course, no one watching would be conscious by the start of the 2nd half.

I'm not interested in side-show entertainment. I want to see Professional Football played at the highest level. The current product is embarassing and NOT entertaining. My attention clock is winding down. They have one week left to make the right call. Otherwise their sport becomes baseball to me.

But I am one fan so does it even matter?
Make that two ..... but I'm giving it until after week 5 then, if not resolved, it's baseball to me as well.

Would be astounded if a deal isn't done by Friday and that replacement refs are a thing of the past come next monday.

I'll be interested to see what the MNF ratings look like. I know of six other people that didn't watch out of disgust of the SNF suck-fest. If they're down 1% that's a lot of ad dollars. I know I'm in the vast minority but I won't watch any non Pats games until they fix this. Hopefully that sentiment grows and they see it in the ratings.

Make that two ..... but I'm giving it until after week 5 then, if not resolved, it's baseball to me as well.

Well, I like baseball, so that part doesn't work for me, but I agree with what you're saying.

I happen to think a LOT of people will tune out, and sooner than they think. What seems unimaginable one minute--not watching football!?!--will quickly seem like the best alternative if this keeps up.

As I said in another thread, I felt it happening already in the Pats game. It was all such nonsense--so random what was happening. And we watch the Patriots, the gold standard of the league. A lesser team? With this stuff going on? Seriously, forget it.

I wouldn't go as far as to say this is what Goodell wants, but I don't think this situation is really bothering him too much. We have been hearing about "the shield" and protecting the shield but at the end of the day the shield means absolutely nothing. If the NFL is generating revenue why should Goodell care what officials are on the field. If anything, having these replacement officials on the field is generating a buzz and INCREASING television ratings. The bottom line is money, it's all about money regardless of what you hear on ESPN.

1.) Vegas just had a swing of over 200 million dollars because of one call. Lives were just significantly impacted by officials who weren't good enough for the Lingerie League.

2.) I'm an avid football fan, generally watching 7-10 games a week during their normal time, and often watching others during replays. The NFL just lost me as a viewer for all but one of those games, and will eventually lose me for that last game when the fake refs screw up another Patriots game.

I doubt this is what Goodell wants.

Probably should have typed this thread out then hit the back button. Screwing with the integrity of the game isn't what Goodell wants. The instant results as far as word of mouth about the game is coming back positive, yes. But the long term results aren't good. Consider what's going to happen when one of these crews gets to officiate a playoff game?

1.) Vegas just had a swing of over 200 million dollars because of one call. Lives were just significantly impacted by officials who weren't good enough for the Lingerie League.

2.) I'm an avid football fan, generally watching 7-10 games a week during their normal time, and often watching others during replays. The NFL just lost me as a viewer for all but one of those games, and will eventually lose me for that last game when the fake refs screw up another Patriots game.

I doubt this is what Goodell wants.

My guess is he's ambivalent who watches as long as the ratings hold - and they been climbing all season. Hardcore football fans aren't their target demographic anymore. In case you haven't noticed.

Basketball still attracts bettors...

Although Baseball seems to be losing viewers due to widespread cheating and the lack of non stop action in their games.

And hockey is in another lockout because they can't get their financial model right.

Great post Mayo - I was thinking the same thing. More randomness = more parity. As you introduce luck and other factors other than talent and execution, less and less is the better team likely to win.

In the end, crappy officiating is introducing a level of parity to the league we haven't seen in years. On top of that, the scab refs complete butchering of the illegal contact rules has helped ground three of the most explosive offenses we've ever seen, with the Pats, Packers & Saints having a combined 2-7 record right now.

We know Goodell has always stressed parity. Maybe Goodell wants a league where all 32 teams have a chance, and all 32 fanbases are paying attention every week, and more involved throughout the year. He might have it, with a little help from these replacements.

Last edited:
I think Goodell wants us talking about the NFL. We're talking about the referees and the lack of integrity of the game.

While the bad refs are sometimes making one player base quite happy (Seattle, though the number of penalties i nteh game was bad), you may have other games where both sides feel like they have the right to complain (Pats@Ravens).

And ultimately bad publicity is going to be bad publicity. A new viewer to the game might not like the present product.

Last edited:
Probably should have typed this thread out then hit the back button. Screwing with the integrity of the game isn't what Goodell wants. The instant results as far as word of mouth about the game is coming back positive, yes. But the long term results aren't good. Consider what's going to happen when one of these crews gets to officiate a playoff game?

Only we've been there and done that multiple times with the regular officials...and the game has soldiered on to record interest and ratings levels.

Great post Mayo - I was thinking the same thing. More randomness = more parity. As you introduce luck and other factors other than talent and execution, less and less is the better team likely to win.

In the end, crappy officiating is introducing a level of parity to the league we haven't seen in years. On top of that, the scab refs complete butchering of the illegal contact rules has helped ground three of the most explosive offenses we've ever seen, with the Pats, Packers & Saints having a combined 2-7 record right now.

We know Goodell has always stressed parity. Maybe Goodell wants a league where all 32 teams have a chance, and all 32 fanbases are paying attention every week, and more involved throughout the year. He might have it, with a little help from these replacements.

That may be the only way he can get a SB win for his beloved Rats, and get them into the 2014 SB being played in the swamps of NJ.

Only we've been there and done that multiple times with the regular officials...and the game has soldiered on to record interest and ratings levels.

You're desperately holding onto a point that you made prior to Week 1 even though you know it's wrong. The regular officials were nowhere near as inept as these replacements are. I'm on record as stating that the Pats could have done more to win the game themselves, but can you tell me of a weekend off the top of your head, Mo, in which MULTIPLE games were ultimately decided by blown calls or no calls? I have three that stand out for this weekend: Niners/Vikings, Pats/Ravens, and Packers/Seahawks. Keep this sort of thing up, and the NFL becomes the NBA. Eventually, they will lose viewers.

These officials couldn't hold the regular guys' jocks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there's little that can be done. Tickets are sold, NFL Season Ticket is sold.

What am I going to do ? Not buy any Patriots stuff for 12 months. I wear almost all Patriots clothing, T-Shirts and Hoodies. A few are getting old and would normally be freshened up by my wife on December 25. This year ? I will tell her "no thanks", I'll go a year without new ones. At about $75 per hoodie, that and $30 per T-Shirt that's about $200. If a million fans did the same thing that would be $200 Million in merchandise not sold.

Join me if you like. Save some money and do your tiny little part to make a statement.

Its not what Vegas or the millions who bet want. This is a billion dollar industry and like they say money talks. I'm waiting for Vegas to speak.

I could not care less what Vegas or bettors want. Quite the reverse. It's a parasitic industry.

My guess is he's ambivalent who watches as long as the ratings hold - and they been climbing all season. Hardcore football fans aren't their target demographic anymore. In case you haven't noticed.

Basketball still attracts bettors...

Although Baseball seems to be losing viewers due to widespread cheating and the lack of non stop action in their games.

And hockey is in another lockout because they can't get their financial model right.

Attendance has been in decline for years. Viewership is just the offset. Casual fans will lose interest, as they do whenever situations like this happen. By losing me, the NFL has lost the equivalent of about 8 casual fans.

Good luck with that business model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk