PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Meriweather be our starting CB??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Could Merriweaher be our starting CB??

NO!

Meriweather is in our 3-safety rotation with Sanders and Harrison. He is also dime back. That's plenty!

Richardson is more likely than Meriweather to be our nickel or our starting corner. And that situation is unlikely. We should be bring in a couple of free agents and couple of draftees to compete with Richardson for the three open cornerback roster spots.

Last edited:
Re: Could Merriweaher be our starting CB??

NO!

Meriweather is in our 3-safety rotation with Sanders and Harrison. He is also dime back. That's plenty!

Richardson is more likely than Meriweather to be our nickel or our starting corner. And that situation is unlikely. We should be bring in a couple of free agents and couple of draftees to compete with Richardson for the three open cornerback roster spots.
I wonder if there are any lower level CBs that the Pats might think could fit in and improve?? I would not be upset if they brought Ty back into the mix..and for a 4th CB, even a Chad Scott..I know he's been injured some, but his height and physical play might be helpful.

Don't be shocked to see Meriweather at Corner at times this year - Its looking more possible than it did when this thread was originally posted thus I dug it up for good argument sakes

Don't be shocked to see Meriweather at Corner at times this year - Its looking more possible than it did when this thread was originally posted thus I dug it up for good argument sakes
Might not be ready for Game 1...but could be later on....

To be honest, I really think that if Lynch was not released to be re-signed without a guaranteed salary, that his release means two things.

1. Meriweather's injury is no big deal, as previously reported, and he should be ready to start the season.

2. The FO feels that a Meriweather/Sanders tandem will be effective enough to use Harrison as the hybrid safety/linebacker that has been featured in sub-packages.

I could be totally off, but that's just my two cents - I think if they were that concerned about the cornerbacks they would have played meriweather at corner a little more this preseason - I know he was hurt but he was still healthy for two games.

To be honest, I really think that if Lynch was not released to be re-signed without a guaranteed salary, that his release means two things.

1. Meriweather's injury is no big deal, as previously reported, and he should be ready to start the season.

2. The FO feels that a Meriweather/Sanders tandem will be effective enough to use Harrison as the hybrid safety/linebacker that has been featured in sub-packages.

I could be totally off, but that's just my two cents - I think if they were that concerned about the cornerbacks they would have played meriweather at corner a little more this preseason - I know he was hurt but he was still healthy for two games.

Could it be that the team thought Fernando Bryant and Jason Webster were going to be more than worthless pieces of sh!t that they are and did not think it was necessary to move Meriweather to corner because they thought those 2 guys or at least one of them would make the team?

It doesn't matter what he is if he's a better CB than we can pick up from the cuts then he will be a CB. Mathew Slater changed a lot of things the last few weeks .. this kid can play he just needs some time to learn.

i think he could play there at a 3rd or 4th cb but otherwise he will be a saftey

[/b]

Could it be that the team thought Fernando Bryant and Jason Webster were going to be more than worthless pieces of sh!t that they are and did not think it was necessary to move Meriweather to corner because they thought those 2 guys or at least one of them would make the team?

That certainly could be the reason - I don't claim to have a crystal ball or anything like that. I guess I'm just in the camp that believes that Meriweather was always intended to be a safety, and that's what he'll be.

Personally, I'm not as concerned with our corners as some - I think Wheatley will not be a liability, and there are certainly worse corners than Hobbs. Wilhite looks like to be a great fit as a nickel corner as well.

That certainly could be the reason - I don't claim to have a crystal ball or anything like that. I guess I'm just in the camp that believes that Meriweather was always intended to be a safety, and that's what he'll be.

Personally, I'm not as concerned with our corners as some - I think Wheatley will not be a liability, and there are certainly worse corners than Hobbs. Wilhite looks like to be a great fit as a nickel corner as well.

I really have not seen alot of Wilhite to force an opinion and I do think that Meriweather was made to play Safety at the pro level but just like Troy Brown did,when the team needs you to move around and help in other areas and its not too far of a reach then why not help where the weak spots are

The Safety position to me is not really weak right now,Cornerback is and needs some band-aids to help.

Of course Meriweather could definately be used in both areas as need be .....and I think he will

I really have not seen alot of Wilhite to force an opinion and I do think that Meriweather was made to play Safety at the pro level but just like Troy Brown did,when the team needs you to move around and help in other areas and its not too far of a reach then why not help where the weak spots are

The Safety position to me is not really weak right now,Cornerback is and needs some band-aids to help.

Of course Meriweather could definately be used in both areas as need be .....and I think he will

Yeah, that wouldn't really surprise me, especially in certain sub-packages.

With Spann off the roster though, I really do think that Meriweather is the most suited person to play Free Safety this year - I know Sanders was the FS last year but his skillset just seems to be more of a SS.

Again, it will be all about the sub packages - some will call for sanders at FS, rodney at SS and meriweather covering the slot, some might call for meriweather at FS, sanders at SS, and rodney doing his linebacker impression.

again, just my two cents.

If Bellichick say he can, he can be - that's simple enough

The only way this becomes relevant is if Lynch isn't re-signed and if Ty Law is signed - and the rumors that Law is now more a Safetey than CB are true.

So there are a lot of "if"s here - but indeed Meriweather is versitile - which is part of the reason he was signed in the first place.

wow did not know this thread would be dug out of the archives.. Still say Merriweither will play alot more CB than saftey, but first he has to get healthy himself..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News