PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Meriweather be our starting CB??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Or do you feel he is more of a nickel back..

Re: Could Merriweaher be our starting CB??

I feel he is more of a safety.

Why on earth would the Patriots shift him to nickel CB when he was playing great at safety as the season wound down? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Why on earth would the Patriots shift him to nickel CB when he was playing great at safety as the season wound down? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Well, I guess with Rodney and Sanders playing well and the chance if Ty Law comes and gets converted to FS...our needs at CB are still not met. Right now, we are about to lose our top 2 leaders in INTs and Merriweather is the only guy with enough speed to give us good snaps at corner.
I agree, he was not meant to be a CB...but he has the tools to be so. It may add to his versatility, especially if our secondary spends as much time on the injury report as it has during most the dynasty.

I say keep him at safety and let him develop. That position is brutal anyway, and while I don't want injuries, let's face it, Rodney ain't gettin' any younger, while Sanders has had issues in the past as well...

I think the kid's got corner skills. And Id love to see him start at corner. He played every possible secondary position in college. he ended up at safety because he's a 'thumper'. But as long as he can cover, let him thump from the CB spot. Either way, I think he's gonna be a player. But he really needs to work on those ball skills. I hope he works on catching balls every single day this offseason.

Unless you think we're set at the safety position for the foreseeable future (which we aren't), then you let the kid play the position you drafted him in the first round to play. I'm not saying he can't get some snaps at corner, and I'm sure he will (after all Troy Brown played corner for this team), but I think you're still developing him with the mindset that he'll be your starting safety in the very near future. I think we all can agree he's shown himself to be capable of that, especially if his hands improve.

IIRC, he played at corner for most of the pre-season. I was not impressed. It didn't look like he had the hips to play the position.

But he really needs to work on those ball skills. I hope he works on catching balls every single day this offseason.

Right on- if we need him to deflect passes, we're good :)

he may be able to shift to CB in a nickel dime package...but he NEEDS to learn to catch the ball...I agree he wasn't that good at CB in the preseason..NO teh answer to teh starting CB situation..

He's the hit-stick. We need this kid up in the box

Unless you think we're set at the safety position for the foreseeable future (which we aren't), then you let the kid play the position you drafted him in the first round to play.

The only defensive area I feel 'set' at is the DL. The LB corp needs youth and the safeties need depth...but the CB position needs warm bodies at this time! With Asante and Gay moving on, Hobbs has shown himself to be dependable, but not #1 material and we saw what happened to us in 2006 with Dwayne Starks and a couple of other losers playing CB.
I just feel it is better to expand his versatility (especially early in the year) the way we did with Eugene Wilson.

If Meriweather is the Pats starting cornerback, the Pats will

have laid an egg in free agency.

Personally I don't believe Meriweather is athletic enough or enough of a playmaker to be starting cb, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they try him out again there this preseason, just to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle, before deciding to put him at safety permanently.

IMO, he is Wilson's replacement at safety.

He's perfect for FS in our system. He'll be our starting FS in week 1 and for years to come.

As long as he starts wearin stick 'um on his hands, I'll be happy no matter where he plays.

Let me put this simply: No.

No way.

No F-ing way.

He's a safety. Period. Let's maybe see if he can actually learn to play THAT position before shifting him to one where he's never had much success at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes