PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Light get cut or traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Light will retire as a Patriot.. he is not going anywhere. Quality O line depth is a very good problem.

Personally, I thnk Vollmer's stint at LT was overrated and Light's stint at LT last year was underrated. Vollmer faced several guys with better reputations than production in 2009. At the end of the season, Brady went something like 5 weeks without being sacked with Light at LT and Vollmer at RT.

I think Vollmer can develop into a dominat LT, but I still think the line is best with Light at LT and Vollmer at RT. I think Belichick probably agrees. I don't see Light going anywhere this year. I do think this is his last year as a Patriot though since he will be 33 in the 2010 season.

I can't see Light getting cut under any circumstance. I don't think he will be traded since the Pats don't need anymore draft picks and likely if they use the 12 they have, three or four players won't make the final 53 man roster. I guess the only way I could see it happening is if the Pats are really hot on someone in the first round and they package him with a second to move up. But I don't see him having that much value to another team based on his age and being in the last year of his contract.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's thinking outside the box. Last year, BB traded Hobbs. Who was the other CB, after Hobbs was traded?
Maybe there is a team out there eyeing Light, and what would they spend to get him?

I believe people, myself included, are shooting down the idea of Belichick cutting Light - not trading him.

You can't rule out a trade because you don't know what combination of draft day events will lead to a team making an offer for him.

I think the only circumstances that would allow a possible trade would be a great offer plus the opportunity to grab a premier O-lineman in the draft.

As has been noted already, good LT are hard to come by - I can't see how people can just assume that Light would fit in at LG when his whole career has been at LT - bearing in mind the transition to RT is seemingly unworkable.

I'm sure Mankins will be re-signed, I feel very positive about the way he has gone about making his desire for a new contract obvious - ie without dumb press releases from his agent hoping to engineer a move/trade.

It follows the Wilfork method - which paid off handsomely for both parties.

Re: Light cut or traded?

The one thing the Pats line stresses is continuity. The 2 big problems I see on the OL are finding a place for Vollmer and replacing Mankins when he leaves for FA next year. Light has been a favorite here and his career is getting on the back 40 as they say. I say try and kill 3 birds with one stone by trading Mankins(who will demand more in compinsation), restructuring Light's contract with an extension, and converting him to LG. I think this solidifies our OL for the long run. Its a deep draft and if we can get a 2nd rd pick for Mankins we can use it to get another younger, cheaper, hungrier player. Any team trading for Mankins can justify it because they will certainly get a 3rd rd comp pick even if he doesnt sign a long term deal! Light can backup LT, and Ornberger(our 4th rd pick we essentially traded Hobbs for)can back up LG. OL is by far the deepest unit on the team.
Light is not a G

Personally, I thnk Vollmer's stint at LT was overrated and Light's stint at LT last year was underrated. Vollmer faced several guys with better reputations than production in 2009. At the end of the season, Brady went something like 5 weeks without being sacked with Light at LT and Vollmer at RT.

I think Vollmer can develop into a dominat LT, but I still think the line is best with Light at LT and Vollmer at RT. I think Belichick probably agrees. I don't see Light going anywhere this year. I do think this is his last year as a Patriot though since he will be 33 in the 2010 season.

I can't see Light getting cut under any circumstance. I don't think he will be traded since the Pats don't need anymore draft picks and likely if they use the 12 they have, three or four players won't make the final 53 man roster. I guess the only way I could see it happening is if the Pats are really hot on someone in the first round and they package him with a second to move up. But I don't see him having that much value to another team based on his age and being in the last year of his contract.

I do think there is a good chance that a team like Dallas lower in the draft misses on getting one of the top 5 OTs and may consider Light for a 2011 #2. We know how BB likes his 2s! But I still think the better option is Mankins, dominant LGs dont change games. How many Super Bowls did Hannah win??

I do think there is a good chance that a team like Dallas lower in the draft misses on getting one of the top 5 OTs and may consider Light for a 2011 #2. We know how BB likes his 2s! But I still think the better option is Mankins, dominant LGs dont change games. How many Super Bowls did Hannah win??

How many Superbowls has Stephen Neal won?

3. And I guarantee if he was healthy, it would have been 4.

If any lineman is going to be cut or traded,its Kaczur

Shalize M Young is no fan and neither am I. I dont understand what the Pats see in Kazur.

Can somebody make a case for Kaczur?

Woody is the best RT in the AFCE. I never would have thought he would be the best at any position on the OL when he left town.

I agree. And I would not call Mankins dominant. Good? Absolutely. Very good? Probably. Dominant or great? No way. Thing is, I don't think the market for Mankins would be that high considering his position and contract status. Light, since he's still an above avg LT, would be much more valuable. If Detroit drafts Suh as they should, they'll probably miss out on a top LT in the draft. So that's one possibility - maybe Light for #66 and a future conditional pick (2nd - 4th)? Or perhaps Light and 119 for 34? How about Light and 44 for 34 and 64? Any of those would work.

I agree. And I would not call Mankins dominant. Good? Absolutely. Very good? Probably. Dominant or great? No way. Thing is, I don't think the market for Mankins would be that high considering his position and contract status. Light, since he's still an above avg LT, would be much more valuable. If Detroit drafts Suh as they should, they'll probably miss out on a top LT in the draft. So that's one possibility - maybe Light for #66 and a future conditional pick (2nd - 4th)? Or perhaps Light and 119 for 34? How about Light and 44 for 34 and 64? Any of those would work.

So let me understand the thinking. I keep hearing everyone say that we need an allpro WR to go along with Moss and Welker, but we should trade our best LT while we are at it? Shouldn't we be protecting Brady if we expect to be the second coming of Air Coryell?

4.5 million for a good LT in a non cap year is not big enough to risk.

1) What if Vollmer play resembles more of the post concussion kind then pre.
you saw what the texans and the last few team did. they had to move him around to protect him and in the texan`s game they moved mario on him .

2)Even as a RT he whiffed in the last stretch . teams started targeting him by moving there best rusher against him. Vollmer needed help.

READING SOME THREADS I FEEL THAT EVERY TEAM CAN GET A LT VERY EASILY AND EVERY ONE DRAFT THE LEAGUE IS ONE.

Last edited:
I hope not because its not like his cap hit really matters this year. I also still think he is talented enough to play although I wouldn't rule out a move to the other side of the ball for him, as Sebastian Vollmer should great promise and upside last year and I think with him protecting Brady's blind side we are a better team.

So let me understand the thinking. I keep hearing everyone say that we need an allpro WR to go along with Moss and Welker, but we should trade our best LT while we are at it? Shouldn't we be protecting Brady if we expect to be the second coming of Air Coryell?

I'm not the one saying we need an all-pro WR. I do think we need to upgrade over Aiken as a starter, especially since Welker is gone for half the season and limping around for the second half.

As for Light, I don't believe he's better than Vollmer at this point. But I think he's still a pretty good LT and still has 3-4 years left. I'm not IN FAVOR of trading him, but I would CONSIDER it for a high enough draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back