PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Edelman play outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Reiss pointing out that in the TEN game, the Patriots were using a 2-WR set with just Edelman and Welker. Even if that's just going to be a running formation, I presume that would have to have either Edelman or Welker going deep(ish).

Not true. They can run "beaters" zone or man, run the high-low or double slants, they can do this to counter the 3 deep (at least) they see in a defensive formation, or do it where they see that the defense has chosen not to sit or stack it in the box.

Last edited:
Both games I saw at the Razor this year ... on plays where Edelman lined up wide he was a huge non factor. I imagine he could do it at some level ... but not at the level we need ... so for now I say no ... he is useless on the outside.

Both games I saw at the Razor this year ... on plays where Edelman lined up wide he was a huge non factor. I imagine he could do it at some level ... but not at the level we need ... so for now I say no ... he is useless on the outside.

Which games were those? [Not an idle question, obviously.]

Which games were those? [Not an idle question, obviously.]

The Jaguars and the Panthers ... Edelman got some time split wide but he couldn't get open. Granted this was his rookie season but based on what I saw so far the answer is no. Hopefully he'll be a factor to play anywhere but I would not be comfortable going into the season where he was an outside WR at this point.

Great cone speed, but no breakaway speed. I do not see him creating distance. Also he has great juking talent that would be wasted if he were not used in the slot.
Since when is 4.52 40 yard dash slow?

Most wide receivers run between 4.45 and 4.6. Defensive backs should be faster than that though. Looking at the top ten in yards last year only Miles Austin is truly a sub 4.4 guy now. Seriously a 4.50 isn't considered slow for a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes