PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Brandon Spikes be suspended for his current tweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not bothered by the joke but im bothered that he was stupid enough to create an unneeded distraction.

No, he shouldnt be suspended, but im sure BB will have some disciplinary action planned for him, and rightfully so.

-Sent from the device that is held in my hand-

Unfortunately for Spikes, he put himself out there in a very public way that will allow lazy people to draw conclusions about his character. What I heard on the radio was this - Brandon Spikes is a homophobe.

Unfair, but predictable. The media takes a sound bite and runs with it. This isn't so much about politcal correctness as it is about the power of sound bites in a world deluged with information and filled with people who have neither the time nor the interest to pay attention to what's really happening.

Those are pretty harsh consequences for a 24 year old guy telling a joke. Like all of us, Spikes has no control over how people interpret what he says or how they feel about it. The only thing he can control is what he says and who he says it to. Unfair or not, that is reality and acting on the belief that things should somehow be different is naive and ultimatley pointless.

Last edited:
Social media is a bad idea.
Keep all comments in-house
rats are everywhere

I had to laugh at Birk's article. He says marriage should be protected then goes on to provide a list of the reasons why the institution of marriage is in trouble.

Argh the world, I love it.

It's a comedy. Enjoy it.

This is a great example of why political correctness is such an evil. In this case, people are talking about this being a firing offense at work because there are people who might be too stupid to get the joke.

1.) The joke is not anti-homosexual. It's actually the opposite.

2.) The idea that someone should be fired, or punished in any way, even if the joke were anti-homosexual should be abhorrent to everyone.

And on that note, rather than going further into the political side of this, I'm putting this thread on ignore.

Like I said before, it depends on where you are employed. if you work corporate, this can be taken in various ways no matter what you say kiddo. If you work at the mall at a popcorn stand, it may slide...

Last edited:
Part of being a professional is conducting yourself responsibly in public.

yeah...I see your point...

rex_ryan_middle_finger.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited:
What are tinnies? :confused:

Australian for small penis. Theyre all really small over there. That's why they go to Thailand and look for ladybugs.

I just quickly posted two of the THOUSANDS of abhorrent, disgusting, deviant and insulting pics of the crud known as Rex Ryan...I apologize if they are too generic..

Not really. What you say on your twitter feed is available for the public to see. As a representative of your employer, and given that employment is pretty much always at-will unless otherwise stated, then it's at the employer's discretion whether or not they choose to fire someone who represents them poorly.

This, in a nutshell, is why I don't use Twitter and stick to pretty noncontroversial opinions on Facebook. I am way, way too politically incorrect to have my stream of consciousness thoughts available for public consumption. Leave that stuff for your close friends and acquaintances at the bar.

Part of being a professional is conducting yourself responsibly in public.

The type of 'professional' you are talking about really doesnt describe a 24 year old NFL LB though.

Did Rex Ryan get suspended for HIS unbelievably disgusting and embarrassing insults to the NFL and the fans, many of them families??

How about the first in history incident of TRIPPING an opponent in play by FIVE of YOUR players on the sideline?Suspend the strength coach???OK, suspend the poor bastid that sold Spikes his tweeting rig...

but let's sit here and pontifcate from on high about a friggin' player tweeting...jeezus krist this is friggin' lame...NO, Spikes should not be suspended...if you think he should YOU need to be put in SUSPENDED animation....

I just quickly posted two of the THOUSANDS of abhorrent, disgusting, deviant and insulting pics of the crud known as Rex Ryan...I apologize if they are too generic..

You really should start putting in a little more effort with this ;)

Per Boston.com

A tweet from Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes has stirred up controversy once again.

On Wednesday, Spikes posted a comment about homosexuality.

“I’m homophobic just like I’m arachnophobic. I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders but I’d still scream if I found one in my bathtub!” he wrote.

Many Twitter users criticized him for the post, even after he later tweeted “PEOPLE !!!! It’s a joke … seriously a JOKE !!! Chill out.”

Spikes’s tweets are often vulgar and sensational. During the NFL referees lockout, his Twitter comment comparing replacement officials to Foot Locker employees made national headlines.

Yunel Escobar, a shortstop for the Toronto Blue Jays, was suspended three games in September for writing a slur about homosexuality in Spanish on his eye black during a game against the Red Sox Sept. 15.
--------------------
Will Rodger Goodell suspend Brandon for this?

BTW, props to Spikes for now using my picture as his avatar!
tumblr_mbhc5m5IXt1r555cwo1_400.jpg

Spikes didn't use any slurs or attack any protected class, I understand this was a poor choice of humor by Spikes but really? WTF is the issue. He used a social networking site to share a joke. Spikes did not run to the gay pride parade and announce it, the people who saw this decided with their own free will to follow Spikes not the other way around.

Furthermore what straight male would want a gay man in his shower without their knowledge? That would not be a description of gay bashing.

If he said this about a fat girl in his shower would it be an issue?

a lesbian called EEI this afternoon and told Ordway that she was infuriated beyond rage about what Spikes said, and went on to call him a number of man hater epithets...great...in five years, the NFL will require orchiectomies along with rainbow underwear to go with the friggin' skirts and flags...

I tweeted Spikes this afternoon and demanded he take back what he said...I told him my pet tarantula was so depressed it stopped sinking its' fangs in the white mice I was feeding it...

I tweeted Spikes this afternoon and demanded he take back what he said...I told him my pet tarantula was so depressed it stopped sinking its' fangs in the white mice I was feeding it...

I'm STUNNED that you admit to doing this.

I can't believe that you don't dye the rats' (mice) fur green before feeding them to your tarantula.

;)

Roger Goodell should be busy working on suspensions for Jets offensive lineman Slauson, the Jets offensive line coach, and Jets head coach Rex Ryan for a blatant attempt at injuring a Houston Texans linebacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST