PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Brandon Spikes be suspended for his current tweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're looking for proper penalties, the proper penalty for those complaining about what Spikes tweeted is public humiliation and revocation of all speech rights.

If we're going to go over the top, let's go over the top. And let's not go bringing gay marriage into this.

When trolls get banned from this forum, do you feel similarly strongly about the violation of their right to free speech?

It is a matter of PRIVATE PROPERTY - so I understand that when I come to a private company's/individual's place of business rules are part of the AGREEMENT between myself and the business. It is the same reason my company forbids me from bringing a gun onto their property despite my having a concealed/carry license. If Spikes tweeted this from the locker room, practice field, or sideline then YES he is in workplace violation (league sanctions). This does not stand if he did it from home - where he is a private citizen. The team can hold him accountable, but not the league.

apparently you've never ******* heard of the nfl conduct policy haha

are you really this clueless?

when you play for the nfl or most organizations, they own your ******* soul

go get a job with coke and drink a pepsi in public...****** do it lol

Last edited:
He definitely didn't need to come out and say it, but a player admitting to being homophobic isn't anywhere near suspension-worthy in my mind.
And it doesn't even come close to rising to the level of slur.

Hate to say it but groups of people want to turn everything into a slur against them just to draw attention to their issues. This was no slur, and if somebody succeeds in making it into a slur then society might as well push the big red button for detonation now. I mean why wait?

apparently you've never ******* heard of the nfl conduct policy haha

are you really this clueless?

when you play for the nfl or most organizations, they own your ******* soul

go get a job with coke and drink a pepsi in public...****** do it lol

If I work for Coke - I have every right to drink Pepsi and would do so if that is what I wanted to drink. I acknowledge the TEAM can hold him accountable - can you read? Why don't you go find me the clause in the NFL conduct policy this falls under - I would appeal any league sanction and bet I would win if they came after me on this. Why do you think they let the ref comments go? Especially since they do not if you rip them in post-game conferences - still under LEAGUE jurisdiction. I would also go after Coke if they came after me for drinking Pepsi - and you know what - I WOULD WIN!!

When trolls get banned from this forum, do you feel similarly strongly about the violation of their right to free speech?

I think you misread my post. My "proper penalty" reponse was made in response to someone who offered a "proper penalty" to Spikes that was completely out of line.

I often oppose bannings that are made on forums, here and elsewhere, although generally not of those who are pure trolls. I tend to oppose them based upon my general opposition to censorship. I don't, however, say that Ian (for example) doesn't have the right to issue such bannings, nor do I by any stretch of the imagination think that all bannings are bad.

Frankly, I'd rather have a site banning people for repeated, blatant stupidity than because of politically incorrect comments.

Nowhere in this thread have I claimed that the league lacked the authority to discipline Spikes. I said the opposite, really:

While there's nothing wrong with his tweet, or even a legitimately anti-homosexual (or anti-anything) comment on his private time, athletes haven't been smart enough to get this stuff removed from the purview of the league commissioners, so anything's possible.

The league has assumed that authority, and the players failed to remove it in the last CBA.

Last edited:
If I work for Coke - I have every right to drink Pepsi and would do so if that is what I wanted to drink. I acknowledge the TEAM can hold him accountable - can you read? Why don't you go find me the clause in the NFL conduct policy this falls under - I would appeal any league sanction and bet I would win if they came after me on this. Why do you think they let the ref comments go? Especially since they do not if you rip them in post-game conferences - still under LEAGUE jurisdiction. I would also go after Coke if they came after me for drinking Pepsi - and you know what - I WOULD WIN!!

i'm not going to do your research for you son, but the nfl has it in it's conduct policy that they can indeed fine any player for any social media gaffes

it's entirely up to the nfl.......

fact.

Why do you think the team can hold him accountable, but the league can't?

Unless I hear from any gay person or organization that this was offensive, I'll beg to differ...Unless you're gay yourself. :confused:

Well, check up my friend. There's been people saying they've been offended from his tweets.

I don't think he should be suspended for this but he has to think before he does stuff like this when you play for a organization such as the Patriots, a very image driven entity.

i'm not going to do your research for you son, but the nfl has it in it's conduct policy that they can indeed fine any player for any social media gaffes

it's entirely up to the nfl.......

fact.

I have been looking up the Conduct rules and so far all I can find pertains to violent and criminal activity. I understand that Goodell has the final say - the players should have revised it in the last CBA. I wouldn't stand for it and I further understand all the criticism of the commish.

Well I should hope he's not a homosexual, that would make him scared of himself.. :eek:

It seems to be you that's missing something here. Let's restate the joke word for word: “I’m homophobic just like I’m arachnophobic. I have nothing against homosexuals or spiders, but I’d still scream if I found one in my bathtub!”

a. At no point is he saying anything about homosexuals being in anyone's bathtub but his own.

b. The phrasing and punchline of this tweet makes it very clear that it's a joke. This means what he said doesn't necessarily depict his own views (as said it was a retweeted joke he heard).

c. It says NOTHING inflammatory (pun?) or derogatory about homosexuals. The MOST you could infer is he obviously found the joke hilarious, and that MAYBE he found it so funny because he himself is homophobic. On the other hand, I am not homophobic, and I found the joke hilarious.

So basically we have controversy because Brandon Spikes may or may not be homophobic; not anti-gay, not malevolent, maybe a bit ignorant about homosexuals. Maybe.

I get that Brandon, as a public figure, represents the Patriot brand and as such is obliged to conduct himself in a manner befitting of the organization. But these guys have to have the freedom to show some of their personality in their personal feeds. At MOST you could say this joke is edgy, anything more is hypersensitivity and sensationalizing from the mediots.

And while I'm on the topic, they complain about how hard it is to get any life or interesting answers out of Bill or the gang for questions, yet when anyone tries to have some fun with them (like Welker after the game) they make a ridiculous amount of noise about it and then wonder why they get snubbed the following week.

I feel bad for these guys.
*Remembers they're likely taking baths in their money right now to cool down from practice.*
Ok, maybe not. :D

Yes, true but.... what he said, can be very offensive to homosexuals, I think you missed that part.

If you find a spider in your tub... you can come to the conclusion that its indeed a spider. If there is a person in your bath tub, how can you come to the conclusion that the person is a homosexual?

You can't.... thats where the issue is my friend.

Yes, true but.... what he said, can be very offensive to homosexuals, I think you missed that part.

If you find a spider in your tub... you can come to the conclusion that its indeed a spider. If there is a person in your bath tub, how can you come to the conclusion that the person is a homosexual?

That's only if you misread the joke.

If you're not afraid of spiders, you scream when one's in the bathtub because it surprised you by being in the bath tub.

The joke is a riff on "phobia", not "homo". It's actually a dig at so-called "homophobes":

Tonight I was lucky enough to score a ticket to Comedy Divas. Seven hilarious lady comedians cracking jokes about stupid vegans; how they’re all totally sexy playas; and how homophobia would be more acceptable if it was like arachnophobia – The valid fear of finding a gay man in your bath tub.

Make Me Laugh | Whisky and Wry

Note: The site is NSFW, with language issues at the very least.

.....or you can conclude that Spikes likens homosexuals to insects if you want to go right for the ugly. He tried to make a joke and probably didn't go through deep analysis to check on how much sense it made if it were an actual event. Of course you can't tell if a man in a bathtub is homosexual or not just by looking at him. For he purposes of the joke you just assume you know. Look it, it was an ill-advised tweet in a politically correct environment. That you can get on him about. People trying to determine his heart and so called hate levels is likely offensive to him....and it should be.

My initial thought was "who gives a fug?" if anyone chooses to be offended by what is so obviously a joke that does not denegrate those who prefer partners with the same plumbing.

But I decided to ask my queen of a brother his opinion. He thought it was hilarious. Then again, he has a great sense of humor and doesn't go around looking to be a victim....so he may not be representitive.

Spikes may be an idiot, but this isn't one of the reasons. Nothing wrong with his tweet.

It's weird. I cannot recall being offended by anything in my life. Must not give a **** what anyone says or thinks. Sure beats playing the poor victim.

Last edited:
That's only if you misread the joke.

If you're not afraid of spiders, you scream when one's in the bathtub because it surprised you by being in the bath tub.

The joke is a riff on "phobia", not "homo". It's actually a dig at so-called "homophobes":

Make Me Laugh | Whisky and Wry

Note: The site is NSFW, with language issues at the very least.

Fair enough, still can be very offensive to people. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be talking about it and no one would care. Its obviously an issue. I understand its a joke and its all fun and games but its still no good.

If someone at my office did this, they would be terminated because we are held to standards, most respectable employers are that way.

.....or you can conclude that Spikes likens homosexuals to insects if you want to go right for the ugly. He tried to make a joke and probably didn't go through deep analysis to check on how much sense it made if it were an actual event. Of course you can't tell if a man in a bathtub is homosexual or not just by looking at him. For he purposes of the joke you just assume you know. Look it, it was an ill-advised tweet in a politically correct environment. That you can get on him about. People trying to determine his heart and so called hate levels is likely offensive to him....and it should be.

Exactly. I agree totally.

The issue is that it CAN be taken in other ways by homosexuals and gays. This is the only thing I've made with this argument. It doesn't offend me personally, I'm not gay but it has offended others. I understand he's a funny guy and he's been doing this for along time on twitter.

It is a matter of PRIVATE PROPERTY - so I understand that when I come to a private company's/individual's place of business rules are part of the AGREEMENT between myself and the business. It is the same reason my company forbids me from bringing a gun onto their property despite my having a concealed/carry license. If Spikes tweeted this from the locker room, practice field, or sideline then YES he is in workplace violation (league sanctions). This does not stand if he did it from home - where he is a private citizen. The team can hold him accountable, but not the league.

The contracts that you sign matter. If you sign a contract willingly surrendering certain rights in exchange for consideration, then it is what it is. There's no law dictating that I have to show up to work, but if I don't I'll sure as hell get fired, because that's what I agreed to.

Again, you're confusing rights with obligations that are created by contracts that people willingly enter.

Fair enough, still can be very offensive to people. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be talking about it and no one would care. Its obviously an issue. I understand its a joke and its all fun and games but its still no good.

If someone at my office did this, they would be terminated because we are held to standards, most respectable employers are that way.

Some people laugh at Seifeld and some have their corners knocked off their square and enjoy edgy comedy. Hilarious tweet. Spikes walking the edge. Get used to it. Hope he has a huge game this week. This thread is hilarious. I can't wait til he starts quoting Lisa Lampanelli. Or better yet, Bill Hicks. Good to see the argumentative guys pitching in. Carry on ***s. Just kiddin. About the *** part.

Oy, the stupidity of youth. Brandon, shut up and play football!!
(and no, I don't think he'll be suspended because secretly [and unfortunately] most of the people in the NFL probably agree with him.)

Edit - making a dumb joke on your Twitter account is not the same as advertising a slur on your face during an actual game. What a dummy that guy is.

He truly is a dim bulb. He needs a social chaperone.

As jokes go, that's not particularly funny.

Some people laugh at Seifeld and some have their corners knocked off their square and enjoy edgy comedy. Hilarious tweet. Spikes walking the edge. Get used to it. Hope he has a huge game this week. This thread is hilarious. I can't wait til he starts quoting Lisa Lampanelli. Or better yet, Bill Hicks. Good to see the argumentative guys pitching in. Carry on ***s. Just kiddin. About the *** part.

I like "Seinfeld". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes