PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cornerbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
WEEI's Christopher Price looks at some veterans battling for a roster spot: Bubble Watch, Part 2

Terrence Wheatley: The cornerback made it awful hard to keep him on this list with his play of late — a renewed physicality has shown up on the radar more than once, and the heads up play he made preventing a touchdown in the preseason opener was the sort of play the Patriots have been looking for on a consistent basis out of him since he was drafted out of Colorado in 2008. But with more and more play given over to youngsters like Devin McCourty and Darius Butler, it’s becoming increasingly evident that Wheatley is still a ways down the depth chart. One intriguing possibility was suggested by mloyko54 on Twitter — Wheatley could be traded.

More on Wheatley's resurgence, this from Jeff Howe of NESN:

Terrence Wheatley Making Major Improvements to Land Spot on 2010 Roster - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Terrence Wheatley's story belongs on the front page of The Wall Street Journal. His stock has soared this summer, to the point where he's virtually guaranteed himself a spot on the Patriots' roster.

Heading into camp, Wheatley was fifth or sixth on the Patriots' depth chart at corner. He remains behind their upper-echelon players at the position -- Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler and Devin McCourty -- but Wheatley has gotten past Kyle Arrington, and he's probably beaten out Jonathan Wilhite, too.

Any worries Wheatley might have had over his chances to make the team should be out the window.

"It's on you," Wheatley said about cracking the 53-man roster, which will be determined Sept 4. "It's never on anybody else. If you make the team, you definitely earned it. And if you didn’t, you've got to look back at your own career, and you probably could have done something a little bit different."

Erik Scalavino of Patriots Football Weekly is asked about the corners:

Ask PFW: Preseason progress reports

Q.: Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Darius Butler is getting seriously shown up by the rookie [Devin] McCourty. In that Saints game, Butler had at least two blown plays (including that penalty he took) and he didn't do much to stand out last Thursday either. For all his athleticism, it doesn't seem like he's playing to his full potential. I know he has been switched over to the right side with [Leigh] Bodden out, but do you think it's possible Bodden and McCourty end up as the starting CBs in September and Butler is relegated to nickel or backup duty? I never would have thought that a couple weeks ago, but now I'm not sure. What has your assessment of his play so far been?

A.: I agree, Butler hasn’t been outstanding so far. Again, though, I’d caution against reading too much into his switch to the right. There are two ways of looking at that. Either the coaching staff felt comfortable having Butler replace the team’s most experienced, consistently productive corner (a feather in Butler’s cap), or they feel McCourty has more play-making potential at left corner – the position that usually guards the opposing team’s best receiver.

McCourty has held his own thus far, but hasn’t really made any big plays, either, aside from a near-interception that he dove for but couldn’t quite hold onto against Atlanta. I’m curious about how this battle will play out when Bodden returns. Right now, I’d say it’s too close to call, but I would be mildly surprised if Butler didn’t move back to the left, at least initially, by virtue of his year of experience in the system. However, if McCourty continues to ascend, it would be difficult to keep him out of the lineup.

Your inherent assumption, of course, is that Bodden will automatically retain his starting job when his health returns, and I think that’s a safe bet, given all the money the team invested in him this offseason. The remote possibility exists that Butler and McCourty would stay the starters, but I don’t think either has done enough to this point to warrant that.

Personally I cannot see Bodden not starting at anytime he is healthy this season. As for Butler versus McCourty, I'll just have to wait and see.

I agree.

Belichick did indeed spend highly to develop this group of five: a high profile free agent (signed and re-signed), a 1st, two 2's and a 4th rounder.

We have starters signed through 2013!

We're deep....finally.

I think Wheatley is better than people think. I think he was drafted low because of his weird injury thing with the wrists. I think he was projected to probably start here and will be a more than adequate 4th corner.

Wilhite seemed good filling in his absence, but i think as time goes on it will be apparent they represent two different talent levels. Wilhite hustles and maybe hangs on as a nickel, dime guy, but I think his upside is limited.

Wheatley was drafted at #62, the same spot as Spikes. Yes, he was expected to start. As a rookie, he was active for 6 of his first 8 games. He started the ninth game and was injured and was put on IR. He was not fully recovered last year, and played a few games as a reserve. Wheatley does indeed have a considerable upside.

Wilhite has done a reasonable job. He was expected to be a backup. He ended up with many starts. IMHO, he is a very reasonable backup. With the current team, he is likely to be inactive for most games in 2010.

As of now, our nickle and dime backs are McCourty and Wheatley.

I think Wheatley is better than people think. I think he was drafted low because of his weird injury thing with the wrists. I think he was projected to probably start here and will be a more than adequate 4th corner.

Wilhite seemed good filling in his absence, but i think as time goes on it will be apparent they represent two different talent levels. Wilhite hustles and maybe hangs on as a nickel, dime guy, but I think his upside is limited.

Wheatley was drafted at #62, the same spot as Spikes. Yes, he was expected to start. As a rookie, he was active for 6 of his first 8 games. He started the ninth game and was injured and was put on IR. He was not fully recovered last year, and played a few games as a reserve. Wheatley does indeed have a considerable upside.

Wilhite has done a reasonable job. He was expected to be a backup. He ended up with many starts. IMHO, he is a very reasonable backup. With the current team, he is likely to be inactive for most games in 2010.

As of now, our nickle and dime backs are McCourty and Wheatley.

Both of whom could be decent starters. I think Wilhite is a good backup.

New England Patriots' defensive pecking order is coming into focus - ESPN Boston

6. Devin McCourty has been as consistent as a rookie could be at cornerback. The first-round draft choice hasn't missed a practice and has played 75 snaps, with all but three of them coming in the first half. Like Spikes, that's starter-type respect.
10. Jonathan Wilhite and Brandon McGowan are the top reserves in the secondary. When the Patriots have called on a sub package in their first two games, it's mostly been the dime (six defensive backs) with Wilhite and McGowan coming onto the field. While that could change when cornerback Leigh Bodden (knee) returns, it's still a sign that they are probably safe on the roster.

Ten Things We Learned Thursday Night by Christopher Price for WEEI:

After a solid start to his preseason, Devin McCourty stumbled a bit on Thursday

[H]e gave up a few bad plays on the night, and at one point relatively late in the first half, it briefly appeared that the Rams were specifically targeting him. There was a early 32-yarder to Donnie Avery where he bit on a stop and go move that yielded the biggest gain of the evening for Avery. There was another catch from Avery at the end of the first quarter that came at the expense of McCourty, a 16-yarder that kept the chains moving. In addition, there was a play where he was badly beaten right before the end of the first half by Laurent Robinson, where only a bad throw from Sam Bradford prevented a 27-yard touchdown.

In fact, all in all, it wasn’t a great night for the upper echelon members of the New England secondary, especially McCourty’s fellow corner Darius Butler. He was the victim of a 20-yard touchdown strike from St. Louis backup quarterback Thaddeus Lewis to Brandon Gibson where Butler swung and missed on a tackle attempt that allowed Gibson to stroll into the end zone for a touchdown. On that same drive, Butler committed an illegal contact penalty on a third-and-nine that kept the Rams’ drive alive.

Pats Confidential: What We Learned From Watching The Patriots Pre-Season Game Against The Rams by Russell Goldman

Will the young secondary continue to show signs that they will be able to cover and hit?

The young secondary took a step back in this game. The Rams receivers were open often. Devin McCourty I thought had a tough game.

They could not stop the Rams tight end Michael Hoomanawanui. He caught two touchdown passes and had four receptions.

I am hoping the young defensive backs will learn from this experience. This unit is green and going to make mistakes. I am still hopeful that this unit will be a positive for the Patriots this season.

Rookie Roundup: Devin McCourty | NE Patriots Draft

Devin McCourty was a mystifying pick to many Patriot fans, some bashing the pick before Roger Goodell was even off of the stage at Radio City Music Hall.

The Patriots first round pick opened eyes and turned heads in his first professional game against the New Orleans Saints, when he had two kickoff returns of 52 and 50 yards respectively. This did not come as a big surprise as McCourty was a dynamic special teams player at Rutgers on both kick coverage and return teams. He averaged 27.9 yards a return during his senior season, capped by a 98 yard touchdown return.

McCourty held his own against both the Saints and Falcons wide receivers. McCourty made numerous plays, none bigger than a third down pass break up of a Matt Ryan pass intended for Falcons elite WR Roddy White.

While he was not the sexy pick for the Patriots in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft with players like CB Kyle Wilson and DL Jared Odrick were still on the board, McCourty has shown flashes on both defense and special teams so far and he looks poised to carve a niche for himself in the Patriots’ secondary.

Patriots Secondary Should Be Major Concern by Tom Curran for CSNNE:

Bottom line, the Patriots need playmakers to unveil themselves back there. And there is no sign that's about to happen.

Thursday's performance, in which the Rams' two rookie quarterbacks completed more than 70 percent of their passes for 334 yards and three touchdowns, cannot be dismissed as just a practice game in August. First of all, it's supposed to be the night in which the material learned in more than 30 training-camp sessions is executed. And secondly, while it might have been the first time in the 2010 season the group was flat, it's not the first time we've seen it.

There seemed to be the familiar lack of communication. Even worse, hesitancy and a lack of being able to play freely and intuitively knowing the other guy will do his job was evident.

Disclaimers? Sure, why not. Bodden was just back from the knee injury that kept him out of the first two preseason games, so he was a little stale. And McCourty, who looked like a kid chasing an ice-cream truck on three different occasions, can be excused for a bad rookie performance after two decent ones.

But, as James Sanders mentioned after the game, the Patriots were often in the right defense - they simply failed to execute. Why? And why did it happen all game long not just for a series or two?

Last edited:
As is usually the case, it is James Sanders that is the spokesman and leader of the secondary. He understands that they didn't execute. He also understands the work that will be needed before playing Cinci.

Curran's just become a complete reactionary. I think my new least favorite word is "playmakers".

After three exhibition games, our young secondary has yet to become seasoned veterans with consistency that make huge plays all the time. How long will it take!???!??!??!??!??!?

The Boston Herald's Karen Guregian takes a look at how Leigh Bodden and James Sanders have assumed leadership roles in the secondary, mentoring young players like Devin McCourty and Pat Chung.

Patriots veterans try to help young DBs - BostonHerald.com

Having experienced nights like the one McCourty had a few times himself, Bodden says he’ll be there to make sure his young teammate rebounds.

“It’s definitely something I can do. I’m the elder guy. Those guys look to me. That’s something I will do, and can do to keep their heads up,” Bodden said following the 36-35 loss to the Rams. “Things are going to happen, bumps in the road. Any cornerback is going to get passes caught on him. You can’t let that affect you, and neither do you want it to happen. But if it happens, it happens. You move on.

“If you dwell on it, it’s just going to mess your game up. Devin’s here for a reason. He’s been playing good. He has no reason to hang his head. That’s all you can tell a young cornerback.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3