PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cornerbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald looks at the corners.

A look at seven spots up for grabs at Patriots camp - BostonHerald.com

Locks to start: Leigh Bodden.

Prime contenders: Darius Butler, Jonathan Wilhite, Terrence Wheatley, Devon McCourty.

Battle lines -- While Bodden, who re-upped with the Pats for four years at $22 million, will once again be the starter at right cornerback, there will be a battle to see who starts on the left side. Second-year man Butler looks to have the inside edge, but should get good competition from rookie McCourty. Butler has incredible athleticism and while he suffered through some growing pains last season, has the tools to be a top cover corner. It may be tough, however, to ask McCourty to come in right away, learn the system and make an immediate impact. Wilhite and Wheatley are essentially fighting to keep their jobs and will push Butler and McCourty. Wilhite seems more suited to playing a nickel corner, which also is where the physical McCourty might end up.

Subplot -- Given Belichick is big on special teams play, defensive back Kyle Arrington, one of the club’s best special teams performers, may push a prime contender (Wilhite/Wheatley) out of a job. Or, will McCourty’s special teams prowess help someone’s cause and make Arrington expendable?

Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald looks at the corners.

Kyle Arrington, one of the club’s best special teams performers, may push a prime contender (Wilhite/Wheatley) out of a job. Or, will McCourty’s special teams prowess help someone’s cause and make Arrington expendable?[/i]

Arrington will stay over Wilhite/Wheatley because of his dual-use and leading ST'ers in tackles. That is more valuable than a #3, #4 corner.

I didn't know Wilhitte was that tall.

McCourty fulfills No. 1 goal - The Boston Globe

“From the moment he was drafted, he told the Patriots organization that it was his intention not to miss a single practice,’’ agent Andy Simmssaid. “That was the goal all along; that was paramount to him.’’

“The Patriots are successful because they understand the system. We worked together, understanding the issues with the labor situation and everything, and we were able to come up with something within the system and hash out a deal,’’ Simms said.

McCourty started to grow anxious as yesterday’s practice drew closer, but understood the complexities involved in getting a deal done and was excited to report to camp.

-----

The numbers on McCourty's contract - Extra Points - Boston.com

SIGNING BONUS
$1.5 Million

ROSTER BONUS
2010: $680,000

ONE-TIME PLAY-TIME INCENTIVE
$1.54 Million

OPTION BONUS
2011: $3.38 Million

BASE SALARIES
2010: $320,000
2011: $405,000
2012: $505,000
2013: $650,000
2014: $870,000

WORKOUT BONUSES
2012: $50,000
2013: $50,000
2014: $50,000

TOTAL: $10 Million

There's a $3.2 million escalator on the back end that brings you to the five-year max total of $13.2 million.

I want Arrington to stay. I don't want to lose his play on special teams, just because of a 5th cornerback who's always injuried.

National Football Posts's Matt Bowen asks Is The Lockdown Corner A Luxury Item?

He is of the opinion that shutdown corners are rare, and are not necessary for a defense to succeed.

"But, you don’t need a corner with the skills of the Jets' Revis to pressure. Just yesterday I broke down a complex blitz scheme from the Saints defensive playbook under Gregg Williams—a coordinator who uses pressure as a weapon. Does he have the best talent at CB? Not really. Solid play and accountability, but not a player who can take away a Randy Moss or Larry Fitzgerald every snap.

Defensive schemes in the NFL have shifted to the point where corners don’t have to cover routes that have three different breaks. With six and seven-man pressures (and even eight-man pressure at times), corners can react faster, take more chances and rely on the pressure to allow them to make plays. You can get by with second tier players at the position because of this.

Does that mean that a player like Bailey isn’t wanted or isn’t a big part of the game plan? No, but I would call them a luxury. A great thing to have (for big money) that can create endless possibilites, but they aren’t a necessity to play winning defense.
"

I wonder how many "shutdown" corners of yesteryear would actually be "shutdown" corners in today's league. It's always amazing hearing people still talk about Mel Blount as if that play wouldn't result in about 50 penalties in today's game.

Besides, the biggest thing helping the Saint's CB's is not a pressure scheme; it's an offense that can put up 40 points per game. The offense affords the defense the luxury of "pressure". As such, they can give up points but as long as they make some big plays; they are OK.

Today's NFL is based on continued scoring through passing. The "catchup" will be when your 4th/5th corner is better than their 4th/5th receiver.

I'd be hesitant to let any of the mentioned defensive backs go.
It's not easy to find players who can adequately cover receivers in a pinch.
I shudder to think we'd ever have to hit the waiver wire and call up the likes of Springs, Law. Or lose a game cause we get killed by a teams 4th or 5th option cause there is some free agent scrub blowing a assignment. I hope T wheat can contribute on special teams cause I don't believe we've seen the best he can offer due to injuries. Or maybe he's a long list of injured lost causes. But I think he can be a player.
I believe Aiken, Slater, and Alexander are all far more expendable than him.

Last edited:
Christopher Price profiles a cornerback with virtually no chance of making the roster.

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 1)

79. Defensive back Terrence Johnson: The California University of Pennsylvania product does have plenty of special teams experience as a collegian, and will likely be lining up there throughout most of the preseason. Working against him? The fact that he’s 5-foot-9, and is probably one of last men on the depth chart at a busy cornerback spot heading into camp this month.

Bruce Allen of Patriots Daily on the cornerback position:

Positional Previews – Cornerbacks | Patriots Daily

The cornerback position is one of several positions that has been completely turned over in the last few seasons. 2008 draftees Terrence Wheatley and Jonathan Wilhite are the longest-tenured cornerbacks on the team. The position itself has undergone something of a transformation as well, whereas the speedy, diminutive Ellis Hobbs-type of cornerback seemed to be favored at one point, now the trend seems to be for bigger, more physical style cornerbacks, who may not have great speed, but are fluid, and can move well.

With the AFC East boasting receivers like Brandon Marshall, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Lee Evans, cornerback play is crucial in the six divisional games.

Allen follows with a paragraph on each of the cornerbacks in camp, and finishes with this summary:

This group has a lot of potential – there isn’t an Earthwind Moreland in the bunch. They have size, speed, athleticism and toughness. If the Patriots can generate a decent pass rush so that the corners aren’t operating out on islands, the cornerbacks can be a strength on this team. I like this position alot for the Patriots, especially the top three on the above depth chart. If Wheatley can be salvaged, there is good depth as well.

More from Bruce Allen of Patriots Daily

Terrence Wheatley – Lost In The Mix? | Patriots Daily

Wheatley now enters his third season as a make-or-break campaign. The Patriots have drafted cornerbacks with high picks each of the last two years (Darius Butler and Devin McCourty) and Wheatley’s draft classmate Jonathan Wilhite has also passed him on the depth chart. With veteran Leigh Bodden signed to a new deal, Wheatley faces a fight for a roster spot this summer.

After all of that, the NFL player that this report says he most compares to, is…Ellis Hobbs…and it is supposed to be a compliment, which seems to put this whole scouting report in the “questionable” category.

All things considered, the Patriots coaches did think enough of Wheatley to start him in that game against the Colts his rookie year, and he did pretty well before getting injured. He’s had a hard time getting on the field since then, but given his pedigree, as well as how high he was taken, it seems that Wheatley is still a possibility to be a contributor to this team at some point. It’s going to be hard for him to pass the guys ahead of him on the depth chart, his best hope for playing time at this point lies as a special teams player and dime back, but as we know, cornerback injuries some to come in bunches, and having depth in that area is always a good plan.

Not exactly what you want out of a second round draft pick, but the book is not entirely closed on Terrence Wheatley just yet.

Looks like Wheatley had a knee injury last year, but played off and on. More talented than Wilhite IMO if healthy, but seems a possible Made O Glass candidate.

Ian Rapoport takes a quick look at Devin McCourty learning by facing Randy Moss in this morning's Boston Herald

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive What has Patriots rookie CB Devin McCourty learned from battling Randy Moss? … and links!

Recently, for instance, there was a play on the goal line where it looked like McCourty had Moss blanketed… only to have Moss throw his hands up at the last second to snatch the ball, surprising McCourty and making it look so easy.

I’m still learning so each day,” McCourty said yesterday. “I learn something new, and he just caught the ball real effortlessly, so it’s tough.”

But McCourty, who carries the high hopes of any first-round pick, has no doubt about what can be gained from competing against a dude like Moss.

Competition,” he said. “When you get to go up against the best you have no choice but to get better. When you go against a guy that’s that good, you’re really prepared to go up against anyone in this league.

A reporter mentioned to McCourty that he looked like he was holding his own. Um…

I won’t go that far,” the former Rutgers star said. “I’m still learning.”

More on McCourty from the Herald's Karen Guregian:

Devin McCourty gets schooled - BostonHerald.com

As for where he might fit in, or make his best impact - be it outside corner or nickel corner - McCourty said it really doesn’t matter.

“Anywhere coach puts me,” he said. “I’m just trying to do the best at my position.”

Now it’s just a matter of grasping the Pats complex defensive playbook.

“I’m getting more comfortable day by day,” he said. “Each day, something new goes in, but you get a good amount of time to go back and study at night - so it’s coming along pretty good.”

My biggest concern about our corners, even though I believe they are a solid group, and will get even better, is that while receivers in the NFL are getting bigger, faster and stronger we have a lot of corners in that 5-8 to 5-10 range and as we can remember from the SB against the Giants, short corners seem to be taken advantage more often than not by smart quarterbacks who can elevate the trajectory of passes to a tall wide receiver.

I like our secondary, a lot..but have concerns regarding the height differential.

Height is the least of MY concerns.
You have a point (with what you used as an example) but what's between the ears has more value than stature.

Some camp observations from Sunday's practice by the folks at Patriots Football Weekly.

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive From the Hart: Practice 7 observations

Cornerback Jonathan Wilhite began practice in full pads, but at some point took his helmet and pads off. He was then seen riding the exercise bike at the far end of the field and did not appear to return to action.

A lot of the day in the defensive backfield involved nickel action. While McCourty, Bodden, Chung and Meriweather seemed to always be in the mix, they were joined at various times by either McGowan and Darius Butler.

Butler, by the way, saw his most extensive action working in the slot in many of those sub packages with McCourty staying on outside opposite Bodden.

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive From the Hart: Practice 8 observations

A dime look of Devin McCourty, Darius Butler, Patrick Chung, McGowan, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Meriweather and Leigh Bodden saw plenty of action.

WEEI's Christopher Price recalls the good old days for this nearly forgotten corner.

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 3)

59. Cornerback Terrence Wheatley: In the course of their careers, few players have ever suffered a drop-off like Wheatley. In 2008, he was good enough to be a starting cornerback three months into his first year as a pro — his performance against Indy’s Marvin Harrison before he injured his wrist that November was impressive for anyone, let alone a rookie. But since then, the 5-foot-9, 185-pound Wheatley has been dogged by injury — he was inactive an astounding 11 times in 2009 — and has since slipped all the way down the depth chart. One of the nicest guys on the team, he really needs to have a good camp.

Price also profiles a special teams ace.

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 3)

51. Defensive back/Special teamer Kyle Arrington: A former practice squadder who came on at the end of the 2009 season with a series of impressive special teams performances, that work as a special teamer and extra cornerback should be enough to land him a spot on the 2010 team. The 5-foot-10, 196-pound Arrington also won the Practice Player of the Week belt on several occasions last season, which certainly counts for something in the eyes of the coaches.

As with wide receivers, the question is "how many".

I have Arrington as one of our two special-teams only players (with Aiken).

The open question is whether we need more than Bodden, Butler, McCourty and Wilhite. Some folks would rather have a 7th DL or a 3rd special teamer. Others, like me, want the additional position corner (Wheatley). For me, this is the very "last" roster position.

jmt57, great, great stuff. Thanks for doing this.

If it's me, Arrington was so off the charts good on special teams, I have to find a place on the squad for him.

Alot of good young athletes in the mix.

Some camp observations from the guys at PFW from this past week.

8/6: Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive Quick Kicks: Practice 17 observations
-Early on, the receivers and cornerbacks squared off in 1-on-1 match-ups in the red zone. Randy Moss drew loud cheers from the fans in attendance when he hauled in a nice pass one-handed over Darius Butler in the back left corner of the end zone, the one closest to where the fans sit. On his next rep, Butler was shaken badly by newly signed receiver Rod Owens, who faked inside, then cut to that same far left corner. Butler bought what Owens was selling, and Owens easily secured the catch for a score. The crowd “ooh-ed” and “aah-ed.” Butler defended his next two passes, but almost accidentally. He wasn’t facing the ball either time, but the passes hit his body and fell incomplete. After the drill, Butler got some face-to-face advice from head coach Bill Belichick.

-Cornerback Kyle Arrington continues to improve in pass coverage. He’s exhibited quickness, good recovery skills, and is almost always as tight as possible with the receiver. It will be interesting to see, when the officials arrive at camp in the coming days (as is NFL tradition), whether Arrington’s tight coverage is flagged or not.

8/5: Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive From the Hart: Practice 14 observations
–The pass pro drill with the DBs vs. the RBs was the early highlight of practice. Kyle Arrington was one of the stars of the drill, getting the better of both Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris. Arrington is a high-motor, small-school guy who continues to impress after his late-season special teams work a year ago.

–Speaking of Wheatley, he got some extra high-level reps late in practice while Bodden was sidelined. He was once again around the ball a lot and got his hands on a couple passes. He also dropped a potential interception on the goal line. When give his chances, Wheatley has had a solid camp and been around the ball with good frequency.

–Random observation, Devin McCourty seemed to have a Tiki Barber-like high-and-tight style of holding the ball when running with it.

8/4: Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive Quick Kicks: Day 7 practice time change; More TC Q&A
Besides his injury hows rookie CB Terrence Johnson looking?
Honestly, he’s been hurt most of camp and hasn’t really done anything in pads. He needs to get back in uniform ASAP, but he’ll still be a long-shot, at best.

8/3: Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive Paul’s Calls: Practice 12 observations
–There was less physical play in this practice than in some earlier sessions but the intensity level was pretty high. The passing game was in focus and the practice ended with some two-minute work. The defense dominated throughout. McCourty made a great play to knock away a potential bomb to Moss, getting his hand underneath and punching it loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes