PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Simon out For Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
bunzoburns said:
The Colts are giving up 4.8 yards per rush. We're gonna run all over these chumps!

Th Colts boards are suggesting Klecko or picking up "romp em stomp em" Haynesworth after he's inevitably released by Tenn. That my firends is the sound of desperation.....
I especially like to read the whining about how injuries will ruin their chances at a SB run....Welcome to the real world, .......

workhorse said:
Looks like it's starting to come out now...

Mort Report

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Sounds like this can be caused by other problems going on in the body. BTW, don't think the Colts are screwing Simon over if they don't pay him for this season. He has already been paid $13 million so far. That equals $1 million per game played.

Sorry, but the Colts not paying Simon is a classless move by a team. The Patriots paid Bruschi and they paid Robert Edwards.

workhorse said:
I don't think New England is looking too rosey after Branch. But I think that nearly everyone involved has come to accept it's a business first now.

Yeah. Why would New England be looking rosy when all the Pats tried to do was treat Branch the way they treated their Franchise QB and Franchise D-Lineman? Yep. Not looking too rosy there.

Workhorse. I suggest you learn more about situations before commenting on them. You are a good poster even though you are a Colts fan, but this is the 2nd time you've opened your mouth and inserted your foot.

workhorse said:
I don't think New England is looking too rosey after Branch.
Right, because the Patriots not only were willing to live up to their deal with Branch but were willing to give him a $6M a year extention a year ahead of time.

Bad, bad Patriots :rolleyes:

DaBruinz said:
Yeah. Why would New England be looking rosy when all the Pats tried to do was treat Branch the way they treated their Franchise QB and Franchise D-Lineman? Yep. Not looking too rosy there.

Workhorse. I suggest you learn more about situations before commenting on them. You are a good poster even though you are a Colts fan, but this is the 2nd time you've opened your mouth and inserted your foot.

I'm talking about them telling him to go find a trade and he found two and then the Pats said nope to the deals and wanted two first round picks for him after telling him to go find a deal. All I was pointing out is that it got really ugly for both sides.

DaBruinz said:
Sorry, but the Colts not paying Simon is a classless move by a team. The Patriots paid Bruschi and they paid Robert Edwards.

It all depends on how this shakes out, but it's not he can't pay the rent. I think they are even going to pay him for the portion of this season that he has missed. So, that brings his total to over $14 million. I don't see this move as trying to not pay Simon, I think it is more of a move to get some cap space to bring in some help if there is anyone out there to sign or trade for now.

AzPatsFan said:
Everyone talks about the Patriots letting players walk but the Colts let their starting players at K, DT, RB, OLB, MLB, G1,TE, and G2 leave in the last two seasons in FAs for cap reasons. Thats eight starters; and the Pats have lost five from a much deeper club over that timeframe. And only three that they really wanted to keep.

Paymeaton's contract continues to erode the Colts depth and now is biting deep into thier muscle bone and sinew.:D

Please name these eight starters, especially the MLB and G2.

FWIW - the Patriots have lost 7 starters from SB39. They are Givens, Branch, Adam, Willie, Andruzzi, Gorin, and Phifer. The first 5 of them could be considered losses due to the cap.

Please tell us how you know that the Colts decided not to retain the eight starters for cap reasons??
Especially Vanderjagt.
and DeMulling who is now a backup for the Lions.
and Pollard who is now a backup for the Lions.

How many of the eight did the Colts really want to keep??

Over the past two years each and every team in the NFL has lost starters. Roster turnover is part of the business in the NFL. So how can anyone pinpoint Peyton's contract as the reason for the Colts' free agent losses?? IMO, only with wishful thinking. It is only with wishful thinking that anyone could think that the cap was the reason that Vanderjagt is not a Colt today. It is only with wishful thinking that Tripplett could be considered a starter over Reagor. It is only with wishful thinking that anyone could think that the Colts lost two starting guards over the past two seasons. It is only with wishful thinking that anyone can think that the Colts should have matched the Lions' offers to Pollard and DeMulling. It is only with wishful thinking that anyone can now still think that the Colts should have matched the Cardinals' offer to James.

How much are the Colts under the cap??

Let's say that they are $6 million under. I have no idea if I am correct. But I doubt that you do, either. But let's say that I am in the neighborhood, how then is Peyton's contract the reason for the so-called lack of depth on the Colts??

Colts trying to weasel out of paying Simon

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2615447

Interesting stuff, the guy is big and fat, but how you can claim that his cronic arthitis is not a football related injury is beyond me. Maybe they can get the league to pass a new by-law in their favor.

Funny maybe they are running out of money.

Miguel question:

Miguel if they are able to pull this off, do you know how it effects their cap status? Would they get that money back?

Re: Colts trying to weasel out of paying Simon

FreeTedWilliams said:

Interesting stuff, the guy is big and fat, but how you can claim that his cronic arthitis is not a football related injury is beyond me. Maybe they can get the league to pass a new by-law in their favor.

Funny maybe they are running out of money.

Miguel question:

Miguel if they are able to pull this off, do you know how it effects their cap status? Would they get that money back?

Maybe this one can be merged with the other threads. But one reason they may claim this is non-football related is that this condition can be caused by other illnesses. This could be some sort of secondary condition. As I stated in another thread, it's not like the Colts haven't given Corey some money already. They have paid him round about $14 million for last season and the time that he has missed so far this season. He played 13 games as a Colt, all last year. You are probably right that they maybe doing this for cap reasons. Not that there are a lot of quality defensive lineman just sitting around at their homes, but the Colts are going to need to bring in a body or two.

Miguel, since you are the resident cap guru, any idea what kind of cap effect the non-football injury listing of Simon would have? I think you are pretty close on what the Colts had under the cap before this, so I am just wondering if they are trying to pull off one of those unusual in season trades. Creating some space to take on someone's existing contract. I believe I read that the Colts are paying hime his prorated bsigning bonus money for this season and for the four games of this season before they put him on the injury list.

Interesteding..how little flack they are getting for this..if it was NE, they'd be tons of things said about the "cheap Patriots"...seems like some teams can do things like this..and no one says anything..

No doubt Peyton sees sees the marketing opportunity in Simon's arthitis. The two of them can team up for yet another tv commercial.

Peyton: Are you over 350 pounds and suffer from slow movement due only to arthitis? Is the only thing you can press are the cushions on your couch? My ex-teamate Corey Simon from Peyton Manning's team has found the answer thanks to me. They are Peyton's Potent Potion Pills. Tell 'em Corey!

Corey: Simon says get your Manning up. Get a sack of Peyton's Potent Potion Pills. Get to your Pharmacy. Simon says "Crawl in, Manning out!"

Peyton: I'm Peyton Manning and I approve this ad because Corey is an ex-teamate and I don't approve current teamates of Peyton Manning's team to be in any of my many ads. Manning out!

This is just wrong. One thing I like about Kraft. People talk aobut him being cheap, but he did right by Robert Edwards and Tedy Bruschi.

I don't see how Simon could practice for a week then go out and not be paid. Irsay should be ashamed.

I wonder who Colts fans are taking this? I remember all of us hoping that Kraft would pay Tedy in the early days of his injury when it was apparrent he would not play in 2005 or maybe ever.

workhorse said:
Miguel... any idea what kind of cap effect the non-football injury listing of Simon would have?

I think that it frees up 1,911,765 of cap space this year (2,500,000/17*13) for the Colts.

Pats726 said:
Interesteding..how little flack they are getting for this..if it was NE, they'd be tons of things said about the "cheap Patriots"...seems like some teams can do things like this..and no one says anything..

If the Colts are correct that Simon's injury is a NFI, I seriously doubt that any NFL executive will disagree with their move as no one wants to be legally obligated to pay a player who is on NFI.

Miguel said:
If the Colts are correct that Simon's injury is a NFI, I seriously doubt that any NFL executive will disagree with their move as no one wants to be legally obligated to pay a player who is on NFI.

What makes you so sure that the Colts are correct? Isn't this being disputed? I don't blame the Colts for trying to save his salary given what they've already paid for what they've gotten out of the guy. But, as a Pats fan, I hope they have to pay him.

Edit: I misreadd your post, Miguel. Sorry.

Last edited:
Miguel said:
Please name these eight starters, especially the MLB and G2.

FWIW - the Patriots have lost 7 starters from SB39. They are Givens, Branch, Adam, Willie, Andruzzi, Gorin, and Phifer. The first 5 of them could be considered losses due to the cap.

Please tell us how you know that the Colts decided not to retain the eight starters for cap reasons??
Especially Vanderjagt.
and DeMulling who is now a backup for the Lions.
and Pollard who is now a backup for the Lions.

How many of the eight did the Colts really want to keep??

Over the past two years each and every team in the NFL has lost starters. Roster turnover is part of the business in the NFL. So how can anyone pinpoint Peyton's contract as the reason for the Colts' free agent losses?? IMO, only with wishful thinking. It is only with wishful thinking that anyone could think that the cap was the reason that Vanderjagt is not a Colt today. It is only with wishful thinking that Tripplett could be considered a starter over Reagor. It is only with wishful thinking that anyone could think that the Colts lost two starting guards over the past two seasons. It is only with wishful thinking that anyone can think that the Colts should have matched the Lions' offers to Pollard and DeMulling. It is only with wishful thinking that anyone can now still think that the Colts should have matched the Cardinals' offer to James.

How much are the Colts under the cap??

Let's say that they are $6 million under. I have no idea if I am correct. But I doubt that you do, either. But let's say that I am in the neighborhood, how then is Peyton's contract the reason for the so-called lack of depth on the Colts??

I agree here.

It's a myth that the Colts have had major personnel loses over the past two seasons.

2004 Starters (Starts):

QB - Manning (16)
RB - James (16)
WR - Harrison (16)
WR - Wayne (16)
TE - Pollard (13)
TE - Clark (13)
LT - Glenn (16)
LG - DeMulling (11)
C - Saturday (14)
RG - Scott (9)
RT - Diem (16)

(Peko had 8 starts)

DE - Freeney (16)
DT - Reagor (16)
DT - J. Williams (15)
DE - Brock (16)

(Mathis had 1 start, Tripplett had ZERO)

SLB - Thornton (15)
MLB - Morris (14)
WLB - June (16)

(Brackett had 1 start, Nelson had 1)

CB - Harper (14)
CB - David (11)
FS - Bashir (13)
SS - Doss (9)

(Sanders had 4 starts, Bird had 4, Strickland had 4, Jefferson had 3)

K - Vanderjagt (N/A)
P - H. Smith (N/A)
LS - Snow (N/A)

2004/5 Offseason Losses:

TE - Pollard to DET (16 starts in 2005)
LG - DeMulling to DET (5 starts in 2005)
FS - Bashir to CAR (0 starts in 2005)

(Peko to FA, Bird to FA, Strickland to PHI (0 starts), Nelson to BAL (0 starts)

2005 Starters (Starts):

QB - Manning (16)
RB - James (15)
WR - Harrison (15)
WR - Wayne (16)
TE - Clark (14)
TE - Fletcher (12)
LT - Glenn (16)
LG - Lilja (16)
C - Saturday (16)
RG - Scott (16)
RT - Diem (14)

DE - Freeney (13)
DT - Reagor (12)
DT - Simon (13)
DE - Brock (16)

(Mathis had 0 starts, Tripplett had 4)

SLB - Thornton (16)
MLB - Brackett (16)
WLB - June (12)

(Morris had 0, Gardner had 3)

CB - Harper (14)
CB - David (16)
FS - Sanders (14)
SS - Doss (15)

(Jackson had 1, Sapp had 2, Jefferson had 2)

K - Vanderjagt (N/A)
P - H. Smith (N/A)
LS - Snow (N/A)

2005/6 Offseason Losses:

RB James to ARZ
SLB Thornton to TEN
K Vanderjagt to DAL

(Tripplett to BUF, Sapp to BAL, Jefferson to FA)

Observations:

--The only Colts LB lost was Thornton. At MLB, Brackett simply leapfrogged Morris, but the duo has been Indy's MLBs since 2003.

--The Colts have only lost Bashir in their secondary, but have drafted 6 DBs in the past 2 years.

--The Colts' overall depth has dwindled slightly.

--The Colts drafted Keiaho in 2006 and Hagler in 2005 to replace Thornton

--The Colts drafted Gandy in 2005 to replace DeMulling

--The Colts drafted Addai in 2006 to replace James

--The Colts signed Vinatieri in 2006 to replace Vanderjagt

Last edited:
workhorse said:
I'm talking about them telling him to go find a trade and he found two and then the Pats said nope to the deals and wanted two first round picks for him after telling him to go find a deal. All I was pointing out is that it got really ugly for both sides.

The two first round pics was total speculation.

And did he not get one of the two deals you mentioned????

I think the fact that the Pats in the end did get a first round pick proved they were right for not trading him for a second.

FreeTedWilliams said:

Interesting stuff, the guy is big and fat, but how you can claim that his cronic arthitis is not a football related injury is beyond me.
You can claim that his arthritis is a non-football injury becausethere are many different causes of arthritis, many of which have to do with the autoimmune functions of the body gone wrong. In other words, the body ends up attacking it's own soft tissue in the joints. Could be caused by a hereditary condition where his body doesn't process dietary iron properly. Could be caused by bacteria accumulating in the joints. etc. etc. etc. WE just don't know at this point.

Miguel said:

my information says that the cap will not be affected.

is that not correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back