PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Simon out For Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
kolbitr said:
Sad news for Simon, sad and bad news for the Colts.

It is clear that the injury/illness is non-football related, and I would think we should quietly hope for the best for him. Colt or not.
Well stated.

I would add that even if Simon was to miss the season due to injury rather than illness, he still deserves our sympathy. It is natural to hope that somehow all NFL teams--if they must lose players to injury--that they lose an equal share; but we should never wish an injury to any player. The sport is tough enough as it is.

Disclosure: I do find myself irrationally happy when I hear that a rival team has lost an important player for the season. My post applies to me as much as anyone else.

One league source speculated that Simon might have contracted a staph infection during the surgery. The question, however, of whether an infection arising from surgery due to a football injury is truly not related to football would be open to hot debate, since a player who lands on injured reserve gets his full salary. A player with a non-football illness is entitled to no further pay.
Yikes. Polian wouldn't be that dumb would he?

also...

somedudeonIndyStar said:
Adam Shefter of NFL network just said this move is due to Simon not practicing after 10 weeks of what doctors said would be a 4 week injury. Shefter said he is up to 375 pounds!

zippo59 said:
There might be more to this than people are saying.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

As far as Colts' news goes over at PFT, you have to take it with a grain of salt. It seems that they are no fans of the Colts. There may be more to it, but teams are smart enough to not try to pull a stunt like PFT is insinuating that they might be. In Polian's statement on the Colts' site, they are talking about the Mayo clinic. You don't involve Mayo for everyday type injuries/illnesses. That just sounds like cancer, or heart or lung conditions.

Well he does say that its a non-life threatening illness.....so it cant be THAT serious. But he also says its unrelated to the knee, so who knows how accurate he's being with all his statements.

Tough situation for Corey. Hope he gets well soon. The Colts run D could have used him. I think they are ranked 30th against the run. I can't wait to see Maroney run all over them.

Last edited:
I checked out the massageboard at Indystar and the fans are lamenting that it is really difficult to find a replacement DL of any quality at this point in the season.

Hmmmm, do we know any teams who are carrying any extra DLs?

(cough!...Hill!...Sullivan!...cough!)

We've already got 2 #1 picks, think Indy would give their's up to try to salvage their SB chances?

Peter King is doing his weekly segment on WEEI now. Says he is on the story today and not yet entirely comfortable with reporting what he is hearing. But he is clearly hearing that this is not life threatening and may be primarily rooted in a desire on Polian's part to get out from under (so to speak) a bad signing.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yikes. Polian wouldn't be that dumb would he?

also...

Interesting contrast with how the Pats treated Tedy after his stroke. I know he was on PUP but I don't think there was even a discussion of putting him on the non-football injury to avoid paying his salary. That speaks volumes about an organization at its highest levels. Let's hope it resonates with potential free agents thinking about Indy. I'll be the first one to admit it's a business but it comes off as harsh, at until we know the full picture.
Having seen Corey Simon for a few years here in Philly, here's hoping to a quick recovery from whatever illness/sickness/malady he's got.

Just my $0.02,

Patsfanin Philly said:
Let's hope it resonates with potential free agents thinking about Indy.

I don't think New England is looking too rosey after Branch. But I think that nearly everyone involved has come to accept it's a business first now.

workhorse said:
As far as Colts' news goes over at PFT, you have to take it with a grain of salt. It seems that they are no fans of the Colts. There may be more to it, but teams are smart enough to not try to pull a stunt like PFT is insinuating that they might be. In Polian's statement on the Colts' site, they are talking about the Mayo clinic. You don't involve Mayo for everyday type injuries/illnesses. That just sounds like cancer, or heart or lung conditions.
Profootballtalk reports what Florio is told by "insiders", so they are sometimes used by those with axes to grind. But they also get it right a surprising amount of the time.

The timing of yesterday morning's ESPN.com story on the Colts getting impatient is curious. And Adam Schecter's report on NFL Network last night did nothing to quiet any speculation, it sure didn't sound like the offical Colts version. That along with the fact Simon's agent claimed he wasn't aware of any non-football illness raises questions which won't go away quite yet.

Patsfanin Philly said:
Interesting contrast with how the Pats treated Tedy after his stroke. I know he was on PUP but I don't think there was even a discussion of putting him on the non-football injury to avoid paying his salary. That speaks volumes about an organization at its highest levels. Let's hope it resonates with potential free agents thinking about Indy. I'll be the first one to admit it's a business but it comes off as harsh, at until we know the full picture.
Having seen Corey Simon for a few years here in Philly, here's hoping to a quick recovery from whatever illness/sickness/malady he's got.

Just my $0.02,

The rub here will be if the root of the problem (whether mental or physical) is conditioning related following what was clearly a football related knee injury. If you watched his career unfold in Philly you must be aware that the reason they cut him loose was that they perceived him as not a good risk long term because of his inconsistent focus on conditioning - particularly in non-contract seasons - and feared that his off season absence while they had him tagged was not boding well for a continuing relationship that was going to cost them serious bucks.

Polian on the other hand was sitting on several million in cap space late last June - one of the few teams then who could afford to do a contract with an impact player on the eve of TC and likely saw such an acquisition as a stroke of fate for his team of destiny - the big time defender falling in the lap of a team that never would have competed for him in FA under normal (March)circumstances. He certainly helped them once he did get on the field, although it may have been as much emotionally as physically. He definitely didn't have a pro bowl caliber season, but he was the biggest load they've ever had up front and he did fill space.

But you can't fill space from the tub and Polian is likely kicking himself for spending that kind of $$$ (which is still in limited supply in Indy) in a season when he is dealing with waaaaaay more injuries than he's been faced with in the last couple of seasons and he's already paying Mathis a few bucks and has Freeney poised on the verge of FA. Simon's deal included $13M in guarantees. That's a lot to have paid for 10 games in a season that ended just like they always do.

mgcolby said:
And so are the Colts SuperBowl hopes! That run defense is just horrible and now there is no hope of it drastically improving they won't have a prayer of making a run in January. I guess they could trade for Haynesworth.:D

It has also been reported that Sanders had his knee scoped. Welcome to the injury club Indy.

Corey Simon was the only Defensive lineman that wasn't an overgrown safety or LB/DE. They can't stop the run because tthey have no size and Freeney insists on spinning himself out of any running and now lots of passing plays. They have nothing left of thier LB corps.

Everyone talks about the Patriots letting players walk but the Colts let their starting players at K, DT, RB, OLB, MLB, G1,TE, and G2 leave in the last two seasons in FAs for cap reasons. Thats eight starters; and the Pats have lost five from a much deeper club over that timeframe. And only three that they really wanted to keep.

Paymeaton's contract continues to erode the Colts depth and now is biting deep into thier muscle bone and sinew.:D

After one of my favorite young pitchers got cancer excuse me if I can't muster much sympathy for Simon.

It doesn't matter that the Pats did right by Bruschi and that the Colts may be (its all conjecture right now) screwing Simon. Free agents will view the Colts as more desirable because they have a history of overpaying players. Vin knew where to go.

Looks like it's starting to come out now...

Mort Report

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Sounds like this can be caused by other problems going on in the body. BTW, don't think the Colts are screwing Simon over if they don't pay him for this season. He has already been paid $13 million so far. That equals $1 million per game played.

Last edited:
workhorse said:
BTW, don't think the Colts are screwing Simon over if they don't pay him for this season. He has already been paid $13 million so far. That equals $1 million per game played.

that is a good point. and it is disingenuous for us to compare a guy the Colts signed last year to a Pats mainstay who was a defensive leader on 3 SB squads.

The Colts are trying to claim that the wear and tear of football and knee surgeries is not a contributing factor to arthritis in the joints? Yeah, right.

If that's the real story, the Colts are screwin' him over big time. To claim that arthritis is not football related is absurd. Ask any of the thousands of retired NFL players hobbling around every morning if football contributed to their joint pain.

hwc said:
The Colts are trying to claim that the wear and tear of football and knee surgeries is not a contributing factor to arthritis in the joints? Yeah, right.

If that's the real story, the Colts are screwin' him over big time. To claim that arthritis is not football related is absurd. Ask any of the thousands of retired NFL players hobbling around every morning if football contributed to their joint pain.
The wikipedia article on polyarthritis says:

Polyarthritis is any type of arthritis which involves five or more joints - an inflammation of two, three or four joints is an oligoarthritis.
Polyarthritis is most often caused by an auto-immune disorder such as Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, and Lupus erythematosus but can also be caused by infections. It is recommended that individuals with this affliction sleep on a firm mattress and a flat pillow. Polyarthritis may be experienced at any age and is not gender specific.

(Five or more joints? Ouch.)

So there is at least an argument to be made the root cause isn't football-related. But the specifics of the diagnosis are critical to that determination. Could go either way.

BTW, in my opinion going after the salary and maybe bonus is a sign the Colts don't expect him back ever, and perhaps don't want him back anyway.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Seriously, though... best wishes to Simon and his family. The fans are speculating on the Colts board about Cancer and other scary stuff.
That was where my first thought took me - best wishes to Simon and his family.

The Colts are giving up 4.8 yards per rush. We're gonna run all over these chumps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back