PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Copyright and licensing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWSB47

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with legally selling licenced merchandise? I have a couple of ideas for items that have not been made as far as I can tell but would have to have licensed images(NFL and Patriots) on them. I think they would be big sellers.

Shark Tank

Does anyone here have experience with legally selling licenced merchandise? I have a couple of ideas for items that have not been made as far as I can tell but would have to have licensed images(NFL and Patriots) on them. I think they would be big sellers.
This article gives a pretty good explanation. Hopefully you (or someone you can partner with) has manufacturing experience, and access to six figure start up costs.

How to Become a Licensed NFL Vendor

Here is a link to the league's pre-qualifications (which pretty much states the same points as the column above).

LICENSING PRE-QUALIFICATION TERMS AND CONDITIONS

The league will allow merchandise with logos on it provided you're willing to pay them the licensing fees. If you have money to fund the idea you have, PM me with what you're thinking and I'll try and get you pointed in the right direction.

The league will allow merchandise with logos on it provided you're willing to pay them the licensing fees. If you have money to fund the idea you have, PM me with what you're thinking and I'll try and get you pointed in the right direction.
Ian about to pull a fast one on ya.

You can't really copyright team merchandise since it's not the work of an author, etc. And you can't patent merchandise unless it's the for the design itself.

really the only thing you can do is obtain a license for use of the NFL and patriots trademarks.

Last edited:
Ian about to pull a fast one on ya.
Lol, no, but I've been down this road before. Whatever the plan is, the NFL will go along with it as long as you're willing to pay them for their marks/logo. They know the mark/logo is the most valuable asset and radically increases the value of what you're making. They'll let you do it if you can afford the up front cost and then the residual money. The league is generous like that :rolleyes:

PM sent

My advice...find yourself a rich girlfriend instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes