PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cooper returns to practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT, but on the 'return to practice' side of things, Bosa signed with the Chargers today.

Dobson might disagree with that truism.

Dobson has been out there in preseason every year.

His problem is such that he can't stay healthy during the regular season.

OT, but on the 'return to practice' side of things, Bosa signed with the Chargers today.

All that tough talk by the Bolts was a joke. He got a $17m signing bonus.

I think Cooper makes the team. I think if they wanted rid, they could have done it in the last few weeks. I just can't see them bringing him back to training for a few days, and then cutting him.

The fact is, Scar will likely want a chance to work with someone with such a high upside.

I don't just think he'll make the team, I think he starts. There's a reason he opened camp as the starter, and no one else has done anything to show they should be trusted over him.

When we were all thinking that having Josh Kline as your starting RG as Plan C, it should be noted it's probably the best plan C in the league. When healthy, Kline has proven to be quite adequate as a starting guard....and THAT's plan C.

Here's the thing. Mason showed signs of being something special on occasion last season. While he was inconsistent in his pass protection, that was understandable given he played for a college (GA Tech) who didn't have their OL pass protect. He was actually much better that we had a right to expect. Certainly not where we want him to be, but much better and WITH the likelihood of seeing a big 2nd year jump.

And then there is Cooper. What we know for certain is that he can be a decent starting OG. What we don't know is whether he can BECOME the monster offensive lineman that he was universally projected to be when he was drafted in the top 10. Injuries and coaching issues haven't helped, but now he has one of the best OL coaches in recent memory, but the injuries obviously have still been an issue.

Even if he starts to string together some practice time, I don't see a way for him to crack the starting lineup with just 2 weeks remaining before the first game. So whatever contribution Cooper makes to this team, it probably isn't going to happen before October. BUT make no mistake. Cooper IS going to make this team. How much of an impact remains the question that is not going to answered for a while

If he's healthy, Mason will get the nod. He will make a difference in the run game, and we can only hope he's taken a step up in pass protection.

So right now it is likely that Volmer and Jackson will start the year on the PUP. Waddle will back up Cannon and Solder. Kline will back up Tunney and Andrews, and Cooper will back up Mason, and Flemming will be the 4th OT and 4th TE. Those are the 9 offensive linemen, though it might get interesting when or if Volmer and Jackson are ready to come off the PUP.

I wouldn't be surprise to see Jackson got to IR at some point this season. Right now we have a plethora of competent OG's between Tunney, Kline, Cooper, and Mason. If they are all healthy when he's ready to come off the PUP, it might be safer to just stick him on the IR and see where we are at OG next spring. While he's a lock for THIS season, Cooper certainly isn't a lock for 2017.

And let's all say a novena or two for Sebastian Volmer. Cannon has had a great camp so far, but Volmer is still one of the best RT's in the league and would be a big boost to the OL and it's depth if he is ready to play the 2nd half of the season.

Think you have it backwards at RG, Ken. I think Mason backs up Cooper.

MAYBE if Cooper had a full camp behind him, that would be true. But Bill isn't letting a new guy start who has, at best, 2 weeks of practice behind him, and very little contact

MAYBE if Cooper had a full camp behind him, that would be true. But Bill isn't letting a new guy start who has, at best, 2 weeks of practice behind him, and very little contact

Week 1 is less than 2 weeks away and both Cooper and Mason just returned to the practice after missing almost all TC and just Mason playing one (1st) preseason game vs Saints.

Like it says in another thread of the same topic - they (of course) left with rehab guys for conditioning training, no drills. Its a very good sign but still unclear when they will be ready to fully practice.

So at the moment week 1 OL still stands at - Solder-Thuney-Andrews-Kline-Cannon

But this certainly does bode well for them to be both on 53 instead of one going to IR (since none could go on PUP) and that they will both be available sooner rather than later.

This probably means Karras will have to be cut and I can only hope no one takes him from waivers - although OL cuts are signed elswhere quickly even these days. Id really like him on our PS.

If not both.

We know what Fleming is which isn't much and Waddle has 1 quarter of just-OK play vs NYJ to go on although hes been decent in preseason.

I gotta think they'll be upgrading this position- especially if Vollmer is going on IR or PUP.
Waddle has started 24 NFL games

Week 1 is less than 2 weeks away and both Cooper and Mason just returned to the practice after missing almost all TC and just Mason playing one (1st) preseason game vs Saints.

Like it says in another thread of the same topic - they (of course) left with rehab guys for conditioning training, no drills. Its a very good sign but still unclear when they will be ready to fully practice.

So at the moment week 1 OL still stands at - Solder-Thuney-Andrews-Kline-Cannon

But this certainly does bode well for them to be both on 53 instead of one going to IR (since none could go on PUP) and that they will both be available sooner rather than later.

This probably means Karras will have to be cut and I can only hope no one takes him from waivers - although OL cuts are signed elswhere quickly even these days. Id really like him on our PS.

With Vollmer and Jackson on PUP, they won't cut Karras.

Andrews
Karras, Kline, Cooper, Thuney, Mason
Solder, Cannon, Waddle

That's only 9 - they'll want 9.

Unless they like Barker, who did play okay the other night...or unless they'd prefer Fleming (who would probably get through to PS).

From what I see there is no way they keep Fleming over Karras. I think he's made the team.

Andrews
Solder, Cannon, Waddle

Unless they like Barker, who did play okay the other night...or unless they'd prefer Fleming (who would probably get through to PS).
Has Vollmer officially been put on PUP?

Andrews
Solder, Cannon, Waddle

I would prefer that
Karras had a rough night @CAR though plus Fleming saw a lot of field as 6thOL/blocking TE to help the run. He might have the edge here.

Not with NE.

We have no idea if he's good here or not. He's a question mark.
The level of talent he displayed in those games may be up for debate but they are NFL football and count.

The level of talent he displayed in those games may be up for debate but they are NFL football and count.
Count for what?

I agree that he's a legit NFLer but that does not mean they will be a success here. You know that.

Count for what?

I agree that he's a legit NFLer but that does not mean they will be a success here. You know that.
He is a veteran player not a guy "we have one quarter to go on".

I'm not as down on Waddle as some. He won't light the world on fire, but there is something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back