PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Contracts to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we cut Amendola before June 2, we only save $2.1M against the 2015 cap. If we cut him after June 1, then we save a little more cap space in 2015 but the difference simply transfers to 2016 where I have demonstrated in another thread that we are in deep already. Below, is Miguel's explanation:

http://mobile.patsfans.com/m/articles/mobi.php?id=6133#.VNjlzjo5D4g

Again, you're missing the point. New money that goes to a player is what, if you cut him, is available to pay other players again. That's $4.5 million for Amendola next season. If he is cut, that money will be available for other players instead, spread out over a couple of seasons.

One of the reasons VW accepted the re-structure was that he was coming off of an achille tear and most 350 pounders don't come back from that. He didn't have much bargaining power. I would put Mayo in the same category as him. Teams won't be sure what they are getting.

Amendola and Arrington are healthy. They could get their current deal elsewhere. With the cap going up so much, there a bunch of teams with a lot of cap space. There just aren't enough good players around to spend it on for them.

Hey, I'll take another LaFell, cheaper and better than Amendola, however, Amendola averaging 7 catches per game over the last 5 and some of the most critical scores and 3rd down conversions in the entire playoffs has added a bit of a sentimental spot for him.

He really emerged late as a reliable guy, is that a sign of things to come or did he just rise to the occasion?

If it's what he'd provide moving forward I want him around at LaFell type money, if it was a once in a lifetime thing he's not worth $5m to hold a roster spot until he feels like contributing again.

I like him but he's such a confusing player.

I think he finally just got healthy and the patriots found a way to utilize two slot receivers at the same time. I remember some interview earlier in the season where he stated he didnt get fully healthy from his groin surgery until mid-way between the season. which is when he started to come on.

given the fact that its so hard for WR's to get in sync with brady. I would lean towards keeping amendola. you have a pretty solid 1-3 punch with Lafell/Edelman/Amendola. hopefully Dobson contributes more next year as well

Hopefully he tells his agent that. Which is David Dunn who is also Welker's agent, so who knows if there is still any bad blood on their part.

Reiss has already posted a couple of things along the lines of:
  • Welker's agent asked for so much money that the Pats just gave up on negotiating with him.
  • Something similar is happening in the case of Vereen.
However, that need not be as hopeless as it sounds. What I mean is that his sources on the Pats could be leaking this as a warning shot to Vereen and his team, as an early move in the effort to get a mutually acceptable deal done.

• Welker's agent asked for so much money that the Pats just gave up on negotiating with him.
However, that need not be as hopeless as it sounds. What I mean is that his sources on the Pats could be leaking this as a warning shot to Vereen and his team, as an early move in the effort to get a mutually acceptable deal done.

In four years Vereen has 907 yards rushing. Not much more receiving. 1023. He was fantastic in the Super Bowl. Very ordinary career so far. Darren Sproles got 10.5m/3yr from Philly even though they had LeSean McCoy. Shane Vereen just simply isn't as good as sproles. I'd prob take Ahmad Bradshaw over him.

One of the reasons VW accepted the re-structure was that he was coming off of an achille tear and most 350 pounders don't come back from that. He didn't have much bargaining power. I would put Mayo in the same category as him. Teams won't be sure what they are getting.

Amendola and Arrington are healthy. They could get their current deal elsewhere. With the cap going up so much, there a bunch of teams with a lot of cap space. There just aren't enough good players around to spend it on for them.

There is no way Amendola gets his deal anywhere else, and I'm one of his biggest supporters. A s for Arrington I don't care if he gets it, I think they have guys who can take his role over at a much lesser cost.

I think you give DA the touches he has been given the latter part of the season and he will continue to produce at current levels. If they want to go to a 2 TE set you cant fault DA if he is not out there.

I tried,to find anything about Vereens contract demands and couldn't.

Again, you're missing the point. New money that goes to a player is what, if you cut him, is available to pay other players again. That's $4.5 million for Amendola next season. If he is cut, that money will be available for other players instead, spread out over a couple of seasons.

Yes, I understand what "new money"means. The way I'm reading Miguel.... we will only receive a net savings on cap (new money) of $2.1M whether that be a $4.5M savings this year with a charge in 2016 of $2.4M or a savings of $2.1M in savings in 2015 with no new charge in 2016.

Cut or Trade Danny Amendola before June 2:

Amendola's 2015 cap number would then decrease from $5.7 million to $3.6 million - the rest of his signing bonus proration for a gross cap savings of $2.1 million. Since a player with a $510,000 salary would then take his place in the Top 51 list, the the net cap savings for the Patriots would be $1,590,000 ($2.1 million minus $510,000).

Amendola's 2016 cap number would go from $6.7 million to zero.

Cut Danny Amendola before June 2 and make him a post June 1 designation:

That means the Pats would carry his $4 million salary and his $500,000 roster bonus on their books until June 2nd. On June 2nd he would be released. His 2015 cap number would then drop from $5.7 million to $1.2 million ($1.2 million signing bonus proration) - gross cap savings in 2015 of $4.5 million, net cap savings of $3,990,000.

His 2016 cap number would go from $6.7 million to $2.4 million.

http://mobile.patsfans.com/m/articles/mobi.php?id=6133#.VNjlzjo5D4g

So it's either $4.5M saving (2015) - $2.4M charge (2016) = $2.1M Net "new money" cap savings

Or-

$2.1M savings (2015) - $0 charge (2016) = $2.1M Net "new money" cap savings

Last edited:
Simply using catch numbers in no way reflects how important hits contributions were. One 7 yd catch against the Ravens saved their season.

I agree, he played well and was valuable on ST. Saying that, he didn't blow us away and i believe we can replace his production.

Simply using catch numbers in no way reflects how important hits contributions were. One 7 yd catch against the Ravens saved their season.

Just note, this isn't me bashing DA like i did in the past. He was extremely valuable in our championship run, i'm just looking at him being a cap casualty

I agree, he played well and was valuable on ST. Saying that, he didn't blow us away and i believe we can replace his production.

I think he showed he can be an important part of their offense and he provides important insurance if Edelman goes down, and given how brutal that role is that could very well be the case. I can see the case for releasing Amendola if he refuses to restructure but if they can get a deal done then that means they go into next season with Brady's receiving corps intact, and that's a big deal imo.

I think he showed he can be an important part of their offense and he provides important insurance out Edelman goes down, and given how brutal that role is that could very well be the case. I can see the case for releasing Amendola if he refuses to restructure but if they can get a deal done then that means they go into next season with Brady's receiving corps intact, and that's a big deal imo.

I agree with that

I wonder if it would even be permissable to bring all the free agents into a meeting/conference call, and say: "we want to bring you all back, but the cap would prevent offering market rates. If you want to play together, let's work together."

I tried,to find anything about Vereens contract demands and couldn't.

Quick comment, I think in a chat transcript or perhaps mailbag.

That applies to both parts of what I said.

I think they have priorities and secondary needs. The priorities are Revis, McCourty, Vereen, and Gostkowski. Some would include Connolly but as long as they have either him or Wendell they can fill the others shoes. If they can 're sign those four key free agents them the rest are expendable,imo. I would like to see them back but all can be replaced. That said I think most will return.

I would like to see Wilfork restructure but they can live with his deal. I think Mayo and Amendola will restructure and free up 6-7 million, and cutting Arrington and signing Revis will give them a tremendous amount of leeway under the cap to get the rest of those they want signed. I think the key to their off-season is keeping their own and believe that's exactly what they are going to do. They may not be able to keep them all but they have a really good shot at keeping those they need and want the most, we will see how it all shakes out?

Last edited:
I think the difference is that Welker posted HOF caliber numbers whereas Vereen's are modest. I don't expect his agents to be looking for the kind of money,they were for Welker. They will look for good money for a 3rd down back, which should be in the 3-4 million a year range imo and given how little the Patriots are spending on the unit they can get it done.
The patriots COULD get it done. Who here thinks that the patriots will pay Vereen the $3.5M - $4M that someone else would likely pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST