PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Consistency in officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradfordPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The NFL needs to have more consistency on the enforcement of rules.

Case in point with roughing the passer in two different games this afternoon:

Play 1: A qb (who is on tv an awful lot) is back in the pocket, feeling some pressure, throws the ball and is bumped by a player who was already charging hard before the play. The qb is barely moved only a step or two backwards by the "contact". Call: Roughing the passer.

Play 2: A young qb is "in the grasp" of the defense and the whistle is blown. He stops fighting and the defender continues to hold his legs. He is very vulnerable and a second defensive player comes in after the whistle and he delivers a hard hit. He is able to turn his upper body but is still run into pretty hard after the whistle had clearly blown. From the wide angle, he could have held up about two or three steps before the hit. Call: No penalty.

I forget which game it was i was watching (i think the stillers/browns) and the qb (ben eyechart i think) got sacked but the defender had to let up so no to be called for a personal foul..well the defender starts celebrating and the qb ended up not going down but throwing the ball away which turned out to be a big play. The announcers went on and on about how the "rule" had cost them a big play becuase if he would have made sure the qb was down he would have been flagged--he does the right thing and get's screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News