PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Consensus SB Favorites A Few Days Ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else want to complain about the trade of Richard Seymour to the (now) 0-4 Oakland Raiders?

The Raiders are 1-3. Not that it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I concede that it is going to be a bloodbath in the playoffs this season. This team reminds me so much of the 01 team that had to find its identity along the way. The talent is there to become a heavy SB contender and Belichick and the players are up against the clock. Today was a very big step in that direction. It's great that I think many can agree that this team is still going to get better.

It absolutley blows me away that the Pats have 3 second rounders next draft and 2 firsts the following year. Truly clever on their part.

What you are saying is that the risk of trading Seymour has been worth it so far. Belichick took an enormous risk and Wright and Green have been tremendous. Just because you win a gamble doesn't mean that the gamble was a good one.

Patriots without Jerod Mayo and Richard Seymour riddle Baltimore's #1 ranked offense.

Patriots without Jerod Mayo and Richard Seymour riddle Atlanta's #2 ranked offense.

Patriots without Jerod Mayo and Richard Seymour hold NY Jets to 16 points.

How's that 2011 1st rounder looking now?

Anyone else want to complain about the trade of Richard Seymour to the (now) 0-4 Oakland Raiders?

Haven't heard a PEEP about this from the exceptionally voluble naysayers from this thread in a while.

Last edited:
People were shocked when Clayton all of a sudden picked the patriots to go 10-6 and for the steelers to win the Super Bowl. Personally, I expect to see a lot more of this from other writers.

The patriots were almost consensus Super Bowl favorites with Seymour. Now patriots have removed one of their best players from the team to be replaced by some backup (Wright or Green). We shouldn't be shocked if analysts actually think that Seymour would have been impact player for the patriots in 2009 and that we will feel his loss by losing more games than we would have with him here.

It is not unreasonable to believe that Seymour might have made the difference in a playoff game or in the Super Bowl.

We believe! We drink the kool-aid! We understand that even if Seymour is gone and a couple of key plays go down to injury, that we will still win the Super Bowl!

However, you should be prepared for the writers and analysts who made the patriots favorites just weeks ago might just change their minds.

Yes, Seymour is a difference maker. But our defense has looked pretty good through 4 weeks without Seymour and Mayo. That should tell you something about the quality of the players filling in for those guys. The complete revamp of the secondary also looks to be a success thus far. If this defense gels even further and gets stingy, that's probably more of a key to the Pats playoff success than how many points our offense can score.

What you are saying is that the risk of trading Seymour has been worth it so far. Belichick took an enormous risk and Wright and Green have been tremendous. Just because you win a gamble doesn't mean that the gamble was a good one.

If you make that gamble based upon your in depth knowledge of the factors involved, and it works, then by definition it is a good gamble.

While BB is not perfect, he does have a track record of making decisions based on what he feels is best for the team "at the time the decision is made", and the majority of those decisions have been good ones. Maybe he saw something in Green and Wright that made Seymour expendable. No one on this board will ever know.

Last edited:
Fielding any team and making ANY personnel decisions is a gamble. Making the tough calls and being right even 70% of the time separates the men from the boys.

Indeed. We should also remember that it's only Week 4 and there are still 13 more weeks to go. Right now that gamble looks like a good one. If a 60 yard run for a TD is ripped off the left side of the opponent's OL for a game winning TD, that gamble won't look so good anymore.

Indeed. We should also remember that it's only Week 4 and there are still 13 more weeks to go. Right now that gamble looks like a good one. If a 60 yard run for a TD is ripped off the left side of the opponent's OL for a game winning TD, that gamble won't look so good anymore.

That could just as easily have happened with Seymour on the team. In the history of the NFL there have been three teams with undefeated regular seasons. Losing 1 game due to a run to the left doesn't make the gamble bad. Losing 5 games because of it would.

So far the decision doesn't look like it will cost 5 games.

That could just as easily have happened with Seymour on the team. In the history of the NFL there have been three teams with undefeated regular seasons. Losing 1 game due to a run to the left doesn't make the gamble bad. Losing 5 games because of it would.

So far the decision doesn't look like it will cost 5 games.

I was talking about how the fans would look at it.

How else do you judge it then? Isn't that what "gamble" means?

I was talking about how the fans would look at it.

If the Patriots' management and coaches worried about the opinions of the "fans" who were pissing and whining in the game thread yesterday and who conceded the winning TD to Flacco as soon as the Ravens got the ball back...if they worried about those "fans," they'd stay in bed every day and pull the covers over their heads.

Hopefully for the New England economy, those "fans" are better at their day jobs than they are at "managing" an NFL franchise from a distance. ;)

I liked the trade at first but after thinking about it, we probably would have gotten a 3rd rounder for him regardless as compensation when he left so I started liking it less.

I'm still not sold on the trade even though I'm very happy with how we've looked so far. Won't know until January just how much we miss Sey IMO. The only thing you can really conclude right now is that Oakland lost big from this deal. They are on their way to another losing season and who knows if Seymour will even want to be there beyond this year. Never understood the deal from their perspective. From ours, it could be a slam dunk we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News