PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Connor McDermott

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

ashley

Banned
Reaction score
He played well against the Raiders and Crosby on Sunday. He has been better than I thought. It's a small amount of video to watch, but perhaps he is someone that has a future on this team as a backup or swing OT. Last game he was certainly better than Wynn or Cajuste has been. Steuber has started to practice also. Perhaps some different options at RT next year, although if I had my choice, I'd prefer big Trent there, but that's another conversation. Any thoughts on McDermott?

Some love below:

He played well against the Raiders and Crosby on Sunday. He has been better than I thought. It's a small amount of video to watch, but perhaps he is someone that has a future on this team as a backup or swing OT. Last game he was certainly better than Wynn or Cajuste has been. Steuber has started to practice also. Perhaps some different options at RT next year, although if I had my choice, I'd prefer big Trent there, but that's another conversation. Any thoughts on McDermott?

Some love below:

McDermott looks like a potential swing tackle, but the board was pumping Palardy to replace Bailey after a couple of weeks.

The issue is the starting tackles. Wynn has to be gone, and Trent Brown liked a post this week that Brady or Jimmy should replace Mac Jones.

McDermott looks like a potential swing tackle, but the board was pumping Palardy to replace Bailey after a couple of weeks.

The issue is the starting tackles. Wynn has to be gone, and Trent Brown liked a post this week that Brady or Jimmy should replace Mac Jones.
Agree, would like to see more of McDermott before rushing to a judgement after one good game. Not sure what to make of the Trent Brown situation. He has obviously had a bad year. Last year he was great at RT. Do we move on from him, move him to RT next year? Some interesting decisions to be made.

Agree, would like to see more of McDermott before rushing to a judgement after one good game. Not sure what to make of the Trent Brown situation. He has obviously had a bad year. Last year he was great at RT. Do we move on from him, move him to RT next year? Some interesting decisions to be made.

Brown needs to buy in, which right now doesn't look good.

He's a guy who could disappear on you, take his money, and thank everyone. He was great when he loved his teammates and coaches.

Brown needs to believe.

the board was pumping Palardy to replace Bailey after a couple of weeks.
A couple of weeks is all it takes for the trolls to elevate some back-up to Canton.

Brown needs to buy in, which right now doesn't look good.
It doesn't indeed. Especially as getting players to buy in seems to be Patricia's weak point as former HC in DET and so far as OC here.

He played well on Sunday, but he was awful against the Cards. I think we need to see how he does going forward before he can be anointed the future RT.

I've been pushing McDermott since he got here. I think he showed himself well the last 2 games.
There's no reason to think he won't finish out the season, and while a bit older (30), I think he's a guy that could vie for the starting RT the next couple years on a cheap deal. Cajuste may stick as a rotational backup. And who knows what we'll get from Steuber, but he could be the darkhorse for next year.

I pointed this out in another thread he's much improved don't know what OL Coach Matt Patricia did that said McDermott is a little long in the tooth we want younger blood.

Some love below:

His name was hardly mentioned in the broadcast which is a good thing.

Not sure if the level of play is fleeting or sustainable long-term.

For a guy who showed up and started a few days later he has played pretty damn well. From what the guys on Patriots Unfiltered said he was well liked here the summer he spent with us and he seemed happy to be back.

I mean, I think McDermott is horribly bad. The reason our offense went to screens is because of McDermott not being able to hold a block and not knowing who to block. I focus on him all game. It's bad. The reason I focus on him is that I know Patricia will abandon any long developing plays based on how McDermott is doing.

I not only think he doesn't know the plays (understandable), but that he makes huge mistakes (not picking up outside rushers and instead constantly doubling Onwenu's guy), but he's also very limited (which explains why he's on practice squads so long into his career). Our best RT this year has been Wynn (and he's horrible).

I mean, I think McDermott is horribly bad. The reason our offense went to screens is because of McDermott not being able to hold a block and not knowing who to block. I focus on him all game. It's bad. The reason I focus on him is that I know Patricia will abandon any long developing plays based on how McDermott is doing.

I not only think he doesn't know the plays (understandable), but that he makes huge mistakes (not picking up outside rushers and instead constantly doubling Onwenu's guy), but he's also very limited (which explains why he's on practice squads so long into his career). Our best RT this year has been Wynn (and he's horrible).
Is he a good player or any sort of true solution at tackle? No of course not but showing up and starting within a couple weeks of getting here he has been solid.

Is he a good player or any sort of true solution at tackle? No of course not but showing up and starting within a couple weeks of getting here he has been solid.
I've been critiquing him long before Ashley's post, as I've watched a lot of him in games. He is the worst tackle I've ever seen for the Patriots outside Marshall Newhouse. Eluemenor and Herron would've been improvements, maybe Korey Cunningham. I get that we have no one else to turn to. But that's why we went to WR screens, because of McDermott.

Last edited:
I've been critiquing him long before Ashley's post, as I've watched a lot of him in games. He is the worst tackle I've ever seen for the Patriots outside Marshall Newhouse. Eluemenor and Herron would've been improvements, maybe Korey Cunningham. I get that we have no one else to turn to. But that's why we went to WR screens, because of McDermott.
Interesting point, I obviously want to see more of him and his first game wasn't good, but with him only being here a few days and pushed into a starting role, I didn't expect much. I will be keeping an eye on him this week, see how he does and if possibly there is some potential with him going forward.

Interesting point, I obviously want to see more of him and his first game wasn't good, but with him only being here a few days and pushed into a starting role, I didn't expect much. I will be keeping an eye on him this week, see how he does and if possibly there is some potential with him going forward.
We definitely need backups, that's for sure. We also need bonafide starting tackles next season.

His name was hardly mentioned in the broadcast which is a good thing.

Not sure if the level of play is fleeting or sustainable long-term.

Backup NFL OT who improved with the Jets last year by getting a little stronger. I think his NFL experience has helped him too.

I pointed this out in another thread he's much improved don't know what OL Coach Matt Patricia did that said McDermott is a little long in the tooth we want younger blood.
I don’t think Patricia did anything to make him a better player.

We definitely need backups, that's for sure. We also need bonafide starting tackles next season.
Any thoughts on Steuber? He just came back to practice, potential starter?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back