PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colvin returning to Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't expect much, sadly. And more than anything it says our coaching staff isn't exactly satisfied with Pierre Woods seeing so many snaps.

Woods haven't been playing that well.

I don't think there's much evidence for that statement. I'd been critical of the young'un in the past but this year he's done what he's been assigned. Has he been stellar? No.

I like Rosie.

Just worried about what the heck caused him to get cut from Houston.

The word was his foot injury was a lot worse then was reported - So lets hope that's better - However I feel as if it had a chance being healed before the end of 2008, Houston would have found a way to keep him OR someone would have already picked him up.

Also I kinda wish this was a 2 year deal. Now if he plays well thru 4 games will have to bid for his services after he proved he still has something instead of signing him now to the deal.

likely thats how he wanted it is that provides him a perfect tryout for next year. 4 games in a system he knows well will show what he has left. A good 4 games likely would mean one last decent contract for him.

I think the reason it's a short term deal has more to do with having Woods, Guyton, Redd, Vrabel, Crable, and Robertson on on the team plus whatever turns up in the draft come camp time.

I think Rosie's a band-aid. Might turn out to be a real good one and I'm sure if he is, he'll get to compete in camp next year.

... you know that they wouldn't sign Rosey unless they KNEW he had enough left to make an impact.

I think this speaks more to his knowing the system than anything.

Relatedly, Hobson won't be coming around. Signed with the Bengals.

If they were chasing him for ILB, could this mean... y'know.

I don't know how much Colvin has left, but I've always felt that he was a good pass rusher. Hopefully he will help us in that area. I know that it's taboo to criticize the front office, but I don't think that they did a good job adding personnel to the defense during the offseason. I did not like ANYBODY that they signed in free agency. They all seemed like JAGS to me. The FO has lot of work to do in order to build our defense back up to a Championship Level.

I envision Colvin being brought along over the next 1-3 games somewhat slowly. I'd imagine they use him in passing downs to create some pressure, assuming Woods is not severly injured. If he is doing well, then I can see him supplanting Woods in a few weeks. Still a lot of IFs unfortunately.

Good move by the FO, at least to try to shake things up and get some fight back in the locker room. Let's hope Colvin brings some much needed energy after not having played in a game for a year!

If Colvin is simply an effective situational pass rusher that plays on few downs, I'll be pleased. He doesn't even need to get sacks, but just help collapse the pocket and force QBs to throw off their back foot, hurry their throws, etc.

Regards,
Chris

Did you see the press snippet Reiss posted? I believe he "mumbled" because of the situation with Pierre ... and couple of other guys...

I wonder if Woods is out for a couple of games and Colvin is just here to stop up the gap? They might even cut him then, especially if he isn't showing up.

This will be an interesting side-plot to watch this month.

#95 - kind of gets to keep his old #59.

I like Rosie.

Just worried about what the heck caused him to get cut from Houston.

The word was his foot injury was a lot worse then was reported - So lets hope that's better - However I feel as if it had a chance being healed before the end of 2008, Houston would have found a way to keep him OR someone would have already picked him up.

Everything I heard was pointing to he wasn't a good fit for their defensive scheme. Whatever that means, coming out of Houston.

Everything I heard was pointing to he wasn't a good fit for their defensive scheme. Whatever that means, coming out of Houston.

Correct. They were using him as a 4-3 pass-rushing DE and he clearly didn't have the burst to be successful in that scheme.

I trust BB and Co. on their evaluation of Rosie's health,skills,and usefulness here so his signing is awesome news! We need some pass rush goin' on :confused3:

I hope Woods will be ok-we'll have a little depth going forward. Maybe Rosie'll be situational for awhile or down the road? Either way :rocker:

Hope this has more to do with Woods than AD... also hope he has some gas in the tank..

Ring around Rosy - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

"It's a good chance to run around, play football for a couple games," said Colvin. "I have some personal situations I'm dealing with, but it's what I've known in my life the past 14 years."

This is an odd quote I think I read it in the wrong context first. I think Colvin is just saying "it's good to play football, its been a part of my life for 14 years, even if it takes away from my personal life". When I first read it, I thought it meant he had something wrong in his personal life that's been bothering him for 14 years...

As for the bolded part - I sure hope its for more than a couple of games. Let's hope its for 8 games :D

And even then, as I expressed in the other thread, if Colvin returns to 100%, then I would most certainly consider brining him back next year. The strongest defense we could field probably has Adalius at SILB on running downs and then moving AD to the outside with [a healthy] Colvin in the nickel.

Last edited:
Also, this may also have something to do with Vrabel [apparently playing through a shoulder injury] being needed for every snap last Sunday. Either way, whether it is for AD, Woods or Vrabel, or a combination of the three, Colvin helps the depth.

Reiss has a more detailed transcript of the interview than Price. I found a part that almost made me giddy...

Are you anticipating that adrenaline rush when you rush the quarterback for the first time?

“Yeah, obviously rushing the quarterback is my love, a lot of reasons why I watch the game. Everyone has their deal, and for me, that’s it. I look forward to the opportunities, I just have to knock some of the rust off.”

I have no questions about Rosie. I presume that we waited to allow to get healthier. Even at 50%, he is a OK backup, or even situational, OLB. That's enough to be on the 53 man roster.

One question is about the availability of Woods and Thomas over the next month. There is also a side question on what confidence in having Redd get a greater role. However, if Woods is out next week, there is little choice short of a 4-3 defense.

Another is about the avilability of Warren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes