PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College Football Championship: Auburn Tigers vs Florida State Seminoles

I got the same thought. You go to college and that is how you form sentences and speak.

To be fair, they're forced to go to college because the ncaa are a money hungry organization.

The ncaa were the ones who turned college basketball/football into a free minor league system.

Give him a break :rolleyes: He just scored a game winning touchdown on his birthday after being down the whole game.

Yeah, I suppose that's good enough reason to butcher the English language on national television. ;)

To be fair, they're forced to go to college because the ncaa are a money hungry organization.

The ncaa were the ones who turned college basketball/football into a free minor league system.

Yeah, but don't they usually have grade requirements to play?

They shouldn't have to play college sports if they don't want to. College coaches don't even care about getting players ready for the nfl, so why should the players care about the school?

He spoke better in the post game presser on espn and even gave a shout out to tom brady.

832191061.gif

How exactly did Winston win the Heisman?

In order (numbers 1 and 3 could possibly be swapped out) :

1. Manziel tanked it at the end, not to mention the fact that he had already won it as a freshman. I think a lot of voters were a bit apprehensive to give it to him 2x in a row, as Archie Griffen was the only former player to win it 2x in a row, let alone as a freshman and sophomore.....but Manziel's tanking it helped Winston dramatically. That really made him the clear cut favorite for the last few weeks.

2. FSU's schedule was a complete joke. People made tons of comments (and they were certainly correct on some level) about OSU's lack of good opponents up until the last 2 games vs MSU and Clemson, but FSU's strength of schedule was even worse, and that was well documented. Their lack of any kind of quality opponents helped to allow Winston fattened statistics.

3. No competition....No one really rose to the challenge, including Mariota etc. Had (key word) Braxton Miller not missed 3-4 games due to injury and they not lost to Michigan State, he may have given him a much closer contest. Unfortunately, Miller missed 3-4 games and they did not get showcased in the title game, or things may have been somewhat closer. The fact of the matter is that J.Winston just didn't have much competition at all.

Judging by all of the scandals that we see on a weekly basis, I'm guessing that those grade requirements aren't taken very seriously in a lot of programs. It isn't too difficult to guess what programs those are, as they tend to do things a bit differently...and I'm not speaking about signing autographs and trading them for a free tattoo at the local parlor.

There are a lot of programs that are corrupt as hell these days, and star players often get a pass for many things anymore. It's all about the benjamins...and it always will be. These schools make millions and millions of dollars for successful seasons and big bowl appearances, and it also helps to gain even more recruits. That helps to "justify" the missing of classes, poor grades of tests/finals, etc.

In order (numbers 1 and 3 could possibly be swapped out) :

1. Manziel tanked it at the end, not to mention the fact that he had already won it as a freshman. I think a lot of voters were a bit apprehensive to give it to him 2x in a row, as Archie Griffen was the only former player to win it 2x in a row, let alone as a freshman and sophomore.....but Manziel's tanking it helped Winston dramatically. That really made him the clear cut favorite for the last few weeks.

2. FSU's schedule was a complete joke. People made tons of comments (and they were certainly correct on some level) about OSU's lack of good opponents up until the last 2 games vs MSU and Clemson, but FSU's strength of schedule was even worse, and that was well documented. Their lack of any kind of quality opponents helped to allow Winston fattened statistics.

3. No competition....No one really rose to the challenge, including Mariota etc. Had (key word) Braxton Miller not missed 3-4 games due to injury and they not lost to Michigan State, he may have given him a much closer contest. Unfortunately, Miller missed 3-4 games and they did not get showcased in the title game, or things may have been somewhat closer. The fact of the matter is that J.Winston just didn't have much competition at all.

Not to pick on him ... he's a freshman but he's rather slow ... does not run very fluid and he throws a fluttering ball. He seemed very adept at throwing the 10 yard pass ... that's all I saw. I am sure there had to be other more talented players who deserved it more. He has little to no chance right now of being any more than an NFL backup if that ... he cannot make all the throws especially the quick sideline pass.

Last edited:
I think your second sentence here says it all...."HE'S A FRESHMAN"! Lets keep that in mind when you think of the pressure, spotlight, intensity involved with one of the biggest sporting events in the country......and he is still just a kid in alot of ways. He did some awesome things this year....and to be fair...they did play some good competition between the sketchy competition that ALL the SEC and other big teams play.....The kid did NOT play well last night....but lets remember once again....HE IS A FRESHMAN!! Give him some time....he could be great.......

Not to pick on him ... he's a freshman but he's rather slow ... does not run very fluid and he throws a fluttering ball. He seemed very adept at throwing the 10 yard pass ... that's all I saw. I am sure there had to be other more talented players who deserved it more. He has little to no chance right now of being any more than an NFL backup if that ... he cannot make all the throws especially the quick sideline pass.

The interview wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. He was just channeling his inner Tim Tebow.

He just won the National Championship 5 minutes earlier, he was probably thinking about a whole slew of other stuff, and he's a freshman. I'd cut him some slack.

Some people can be smart and well educated but are horrible public speakers. And I'm sure he hasn't had the training and experience in speaking in front of a national audience like AJ McCarron has had the past 3 years.

I was watching the press conference after the GB/SF game and they had Kaep and Gore on the podium. Frank Gore has no excuse to be sounding like a troll like he was. He's been in the league 10 years. That was an embarrassment.

How exactly did Winston win the Heisman?

I hate, hate, HATE FSU, but Winston was unbelievable this year for a freshman and deserved it. Last night's game was not indicative of the way his season went. Still, ESPN was lining up to kiss his ass when the fact of the matter is that Auburn had his number for three quarters before they blew it. Even then, they would have lost if not for that return. IMO, it was obvious he was going through jitters and was rattled throughout the game. If that keeps happening in big games, we may be looking at the next Peyton Manning. If was a product of him being very young, having a lot of pressure because of the Heisman, and being in the big moment like that for the first time, then he's going to be a great quarterback in this league. Time will tell. It will be interesting to see how he and the Seminoles adapt next year when they lose so many of their players.

I am intrigued by Tre Mason's running style. His combine numbers will be interesting, in part to see how much he benefited from a great O-line,

but I like the low center-of-gravity, shifty, keep low to duck under the hits while eeking out a couple of extra yards style. Sort of a Sproles/Woodhead look, but in a bigger, more powerful body. He's a decisive, one-cut runner who attacks the hole.

As an aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the coaches, players, and former player they brought in for this game. All had good screen presence. I was absolutely locked in every time Saban spoke. Manziel also sounds like he could have a very successful career on College Gameday if his NFL career doesn't pan out.

James Wilder Jr. declared for the draft.

Coming into college I thought that he would be AMAZING. It just never came together for him though. Injuries, including a concussion, and he became FSU's 3rd running back this year.

He's the type of guy that could just amaze people at the combine though, if healthy.

The interview wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. He was just channeling his inner Tim Tebow.
He's nowhere near as bad as Shannon Sharpe and Sharpe is on the CBS studio show. He's the reason I watch Fox. I might watch CBS if they ran subtitles for Sharpe but until then, no thanks.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back