PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CJ Spiller or Mike Iupati - Who you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a Darren Sproles type. And that's not shabby at all, but I don't think a Sproles type can be a 3 down back type who can carry the load.

Hmm Clemson has him listed as 5-10 185 lbs.

Jacoby Ford Profile, Blog Posts, Stats, Photos - Clemson Tigers - NCAA-FOOTBALL - SB Nation

That's significantly different from 5'8.5! What is his real size height? If he shows up at the combine 5-10 200 and runs like a 4.2 40, you'd have to rethink things.

Overall I think Spiller's versatility as a receiver gives him the edge though. 1,000 yards rushing, 500 yards receiving, AND good blitz pickup? where do I sign up? He'd give Brady another weapon in the receiving game as well as jumpstart the running game. In fact if Spiller turns into a Harvin quality receiver, you don't even need to draft/sign a #3 WR do you?

5'8.5 and 180-185 lbs is closer to his real height and weight. That is what NFL draft scout has him as. They list him as a 4th rounder or so..

I'd use a late 3rd or early 4th on him..

Warren, easy to mess up the names.

Damn.. It was Warren.. And we traded the 2nd pick that year to the Ravens and ended up with Wilfork in 2004 with Watson..

Thanks for the correction.

5'8.5 and 180-185 lbs is closer to his real height and weight. That is what NFL draft scout has him as. They list him as a 4th rounder or so..

I'd use a late 3rd or early 4th on him..

Senior bowl weigh ins: 5'8 6/8 181lbs

I understand what you're saying. And if the need was equal between a RB and an OT (say, Spiller and Brian Bulaga) I'd take the OT every day, no matter how good the RB.

But it's not. It's RB vs. OG, and there are 3 main reasons why I keep coming by to Spiller:

1. Spiller is a much, much better talent at RB than Iupati is at OG. The potential is enormous.

2. Spiller is a much better schematic fit for us at RB than Iupati is at OT. We don't run a pulling offensive scheme.

3. I believe that Spiller could create mismatches and open up our offense in a variety of ways beyond what a top OG could do.

Beyond that, I think there are numerous options for adequately addressing RG, from plugging in Nick Kaczur to drafting Mike Johnson or Jon Asamoah. There aren't any other Spillers in the draft that I see.

What do you think of the possibility Leon Washington on our offense?

What do you think of the possibility Leon Washington on our offense?

If all it costs is money, that sounds pretty good for a 3rd down back. Saves us from spending a draft pick too. But don't we have Faulk for that role already?

The way Iupati looks, I'm not sure I wouldn't take him. Not trading up for him though.

If all it costs is money, that sounds pretty good for a 3rd down back. Saves us from spending a draft pick too. But don't we have Faulk for that role already?

Why would he only be a 3rd down back? Assuming we have Faulk, Morris, Taylor, Washington, and Law Firm, why couldn't we put him in for more plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News