PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CJ Spiller or Mike Iupati - Who you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to take the pressure off Brady. This offense can't be one-dimensional now that our receivers are no longer the tops in the league and our QB isn't the best in the business. At least two QBs outplayed Brady this year, more like three.

In the last half of the season, at least a dozen QB's out played Brady. We could have trained a monkey to play catch with Welker for three hours. Brady's regression could could injury related, but 1 comeback win in week #1 and a 500 record in the second half of the season is weak.

Brady had multiple weapons on every play and yet he DECIDED to throw to Welker almost exclusively time and time again. What does that do for the other guys out there?

Fixing the offense is simple:

1.) Hire a legitimate OC.
2.) Make Brady expand the game plan in order to make the defense cover more than Welker.

Since Welker will not be playing the first half of the season, #2 is taking care of itself. Now all BB has to do is find an OC. Brian Billick is available!

Spiller is a slightly faster version of Percy Harvin. He's all football player with world class speed who anchored Clemson's 4x100 meter relay, which finished third in the NCAA.

When the Dolphins load up on defense--I'm expecting Parcells to raid the Crimson Tide of McClain--we better be ready to counteract that with freakish speed.

McClain will obliterated Maroney. Spiller will leave him grasping for air.

YouTube - CJ Spiller Highlights - Speed Kills

Go Patriots!

BB could trade the #22 for an Aborigine barmaid, a ficus, and a complete set of Ginsu knives and yet, by the middle of training camp, it would all start to make a twisted sort of sense.

I posted that on a mock draft site awhile back. Unsurprisingly, only Pats fans got it.
Mmmmmm aborigine barmaids! BB had a ficus, but he traded him to Buffalo for a first round pick.

Spiller is a slightly faster version of Percy Harvin. He's all football player with world class speed who anchored Clemson's 4x100 meter relay, which finished third in the NCAA.

When the Dolphins load up on defense--I'm expecting Parcells to raid the Crimson Tide of McClain--we better be ready to counteract that with freakish speed.

Go Patriots!

If BB can get Spiller the ball in space; no LBer and very few DB's in the NFL stands a chance of catching Spiller.

Mmmmmm aborigine barmaids! BB had a ficus, but he traded him to Buffalo for a first round pick.

Which was then spent on Maroney, IIRC. So, y'know, no real gain there.

Go Patriots!

By the time Draft Day rolls around, Parcells will probably have to trade up from the #12 and get ahead of at least Mangini at #7 to be sure of getting McClain.

Apparently, we are reduced to wondering which of our division opponents are most likely to get the player we want.

Spiller Receives Two More Honors Named to ESPN.com All-America Team and Rivals.com All-Decade Team

Jan. 15, 2010

CLEMSON, SC -- C.J. Spiller continues to pile up awards, even after his Clemson career is over. On Friday, the now Clemson graduate was named a first-team All-American by ESPN.com for his performance in 2009 and was named to Rival.com's All-Decade team of College Football as a kick returner.

Spiller was one of four players who were seniors in 2009 to make the All-Decade team. The others were Tim Tebow of Florida at quarterback, Jermaine Gresham of Oklahoma at tight end and Ndamukong Suh of Nebraska at defensive tackle.

Spiller made first-team All-American according to every team announced this year, just the third unanimous All-American in Clemson history. The others are Terry Kinard (1982) and Gaines Adams (2006).

Spiller was named to both teams as a kick returner. This year he set an ACC record with four kickoff returns for touchdowns, giving him seven for his career, an NCAA record. He had five total kick returns for scores this year as he also had a punt return for a score against Boston College.

Spiller finished the year with 21 total touchdowns and was the only player in the nation to score a touchdown in every one of his team's games this year. He also finished the year fourth in the nation in all-purpose running yards per game and was third in kickoff return average.

As a running back, Spiller had 1212 rushing yards and 503 in receiving yards, the first player in ACC history with at least 1000 yards rushing and 500 receiving in the same year.

Rivals.com All-Decade Team

Offense
Pos. - Name, School (Years)
QB - Tim Tebow, Florida (2006-09)
RB - Darren McFadden, Arkansas (2005-07)
RB - Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma (2004-06)
WR - Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (2007-08)
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh (2002-03)
TE - Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma (2006-09)
OT - Jake Long, Michigan (2004-07)
OT - Bryant McKinnie, Miami (FL) (2000-01)
OG - Andre Gurode, Colorado (2000-01)
OG - Steve Hutchinson, Michigan (2000)
C - Lecharles Bentley, Ohio State (2000-01)

Aborigine bairmaids with ginsu knives really know how to set the edge. Makes sense to me.

In the last half of the season, at least a dozen QB's out played Brady. We could have trained a monkey to play catch with Welker for three hours. Brady's regression could could injury related, but 1 comeback win in week #1 and a 500 record in the second half of the season is weak.

Brady had multiple weapons on every play and yet he DECIDED to throw to Welker almost exclusively time and time again. What does that do for the other guys out there?

Fixing the offense is simple:

1.) Hire a legitimate OC.
2.) Make Brady expand the game plan in order to make the defense cover more than Welker.

Since Welker will not be playing the first half of the season, #2 is taking care of itself. Now all BB has to do is find an OC. Brian Billick is available!

Outstanding post.

It's heresy to say anything against Brady, but his regression this year has been remarkable. As you say, a dozen QBs played better the 2nd half of the season. I firmly believe Brady belongs in any GOAT discussion, but he certainly didn't play up to that level this year, and I blame the lack of an OC for much of that. We need to expand our offense considerably to involve the entire team, not just 2 guys. Watson, Baker, Faulk, Maroney, and all of the WRs not named Welker and Moss were underutilized.

Go Patriots!

Spiller looked awfully good as a receiver as well as a runner in those clips. Very smooth.

Here's a nice return for you:

YouTube - CJ Spiller Play of the Year

Short of getting McClain, my dream scenario right now is still trade 42 and 47 to Atlanta for 19 and 83 to get Spiller at 19, followed by Dunlap or JPP at 22.

Aborigine bairmaids with ginsu knives really know how to set the edge. Makes sense to me.

Especially if you forget to tip.

Personal experience. Long story.

Apparently, we are reduced to wondering which of our division opponents are most likely to get the player we want.

BB has been playing that game with the Jets FO/coaches for years (Vernon Gholston ftw!). And now he's playing against Parcells, too. You betcha.

Outstanding post.

It's heresy to say anything against Brady, but his regression this year has been remarkable. As you say, a dozen QBs played better the 2nd half of the season. I firmly believe Brady belongs in any GOAT discussion, but he certainly didn't play up to that level this year, and I blame the lack of an OC for much of that. We need to expand our offense considerably to involve the entire team, not just 2 guys. Watson, Baker, Faulk, Maroney, and all of the WRs not named Welker and Moss were underutilized.

As long as you're (sorta) going there . . .

A friend of mine the other day, upon hearing that Warner might retire, hit me with a stunning . . . . blasphemy (there's no other word for it). He suggested the Pats trade Brady to Arizona for their first and second this year and their first next year, calculating that it would give us two firsts and four seconds this year and three firsts and a second next year. "Oughta be able to rebuild a Superbowl contender with that," he sez.

Of course, I immediately asked him what medications he was on and if he had any extra. His answers were "several" and "no", so I politely requested he leave the premises immediately. Forgot that we were at his house, though.

Who's #6 with the wheels for Clemson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back