PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christopher Price's DB analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you look at it strictly by positions, you're correct. But as for assignments, I can see Meriweather moving down to cover certain guys in man coverage if matchups dictate it. He won't be "playing corner", but he'll have some typical corner responsibilities in some situations.
Game one against Cincy speaks to that option.

Whatever...I'm not sure you get much out of reading threads anyway...
Whatever..one's like who know it all OR think they do are closer to horse's behinds anyways..YUK!!

Or DB and DM might do great jobs on OC and TO and actually pull off an INT or DP or two along with some BU's and KD's. We might even see one of them pull of a CB and SK the QB. :D :D
There's MANY things that could happen...hopefully BETTER things..I remain optimistic of course..

Since it seems Bodden was fighting this injury all camp...

"[He] struggled to see the field consistently throughout training camp because of knee and shoulder problems..."

BB had to be thinking he might miss a game or three or more. So BB will probably continue doing what he had already envisioned, that is, start Butler and McCourty as CBs and Merriweather at S.

I guess I'm in the camp that doesn't foresee any drastic modifications to what we've already got, as defined by existing pre-season roles.

Last edited:
My real concern isn't Butler and McCourty being the starting corners, it is that it now greatly weakens our nickel and dime packages. Wilhite as the numbers prove is the worst CB in the world. He now will be the nickel corner and have to play a pretty big role. I would rather give Wheatley a shot a nickel, I think he has looked better this preseason. Wilhite all preseason has been picked on just like he was last year. Our depth is greatly effected, more so than the drop off between Butler and Bodden.

I agree. Butler and McCourty were going to see significant playing time anyway, so I guess it isnt that bad that they are our starting corners. The issue now is the depth. We use sub packages a lot, probably at the top of the league and that means this will be effected because Wheatley and Wilhite will have to see a decent amount of playing time. Since we are very strong at the saftey position there is some flexibility that can be worked out by having any one of the safeties take Wilhite and Wheatley's place in the sub packages. This could be played with a little bit tomorrow night and see how guys fit in playing slightly out of position

I know that was Box's first thought, but Bill seldom opts to weaken two positions in a potential attempt to mask one. Meriweather is projecting as a pro bowl safety, not sure you want to mess with that. And it seems we were getting pressure this preseason, it was soft zone coverage vs. quick releases and accurate hard to defend throws that were causing most of the problems last week.

Are you saying that Box and I think alike?:mad:

Actually BM has played some corner in the past. He played it in college also. I don't think that he will play it exclusively to start. However if one other guys does not show that he's ready, BM could be moved over.

They will still have Chung, Sanders, and McGowen. Or they could move a young corner to safety as they did with Wilson.

By far the sensible analysis. As it says, there isn't a real dropoff from Bodden to Butler. I think McCourty can handle his own on the other side.

However, everyone seems to have forgotten about Arrington.

I really don't think BB is going to trade for a vet or scrounge around for castoffs.

Umm...don't forget that Bodden made 17 plays on the ball vs. 6 for Butler, and that Bodden had one less penalty than did Butler, in 26 more targets. That's a dropoff. Of course, Butler can be expected to improve this year, and the sky remains where it belongs, but to say that Bodden isn't much better seems to miss the mark.

I also agree that Wilhite...<shudder>. He needs to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe