PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Simms as Brady's backup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsgo

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
according to espn he will be released soon, id take him over Cassel or Goots, he started in the nfl, has good genes, and BB is friends with his father

I was thinking this; the Cowboys & Bears had scouts at the last Tampa game. My guess is that if the Bears offer him a chance to compete for the starting job (which no way he is doing in Dallas or NE) he'll sign there. But the Bears have had a curious blind spot to their QB weakness this entire offseason, so who knows ...

Perhaps both Simms men could win a superbowl under BB!

I know that Simms wants out of tampa (and away from Gruden), he has all the skills and can make all the throws, I think landing in NE might actually be great for his career. He would certainely be an upgrade from Cassel.

Any son of Phil Simms who has made it into the NFL is good enough for me to be on this team,I respect Phil Simms and think his son is a decent player.

I like Simms a lot in that role. But which QB do you keep then? You're likely going to have to cut two of Cassel, Guts, and O'Connell.

I said this yesterday. I would love to have Simms as the #2 QB for the Pats. I don't know if it would happen though. He obviously has the connection with Belichick through his father. But he wanted a shot to compete for the starting QB job in Tampa, will he be content to hold the clipboard in New England. He may decide that is a better option than being a tackling dumby in Chicago.

I like Simms a lot in that role. But which QB do you keep then? You're likely going to have to cut two of Cassel, Guts, and O'Connell.

Cassle and Gootz go in that scenario. You hope that gootz makes it past the waver wire and he gets a year of PS.

Don't get emotional. There are lots of Gootz and Cassels out there...

We were smart to select the QB who consistently outperformed him in college.

I'd rather have a smart QB like Major Applewhite in a clutch situation than a physical specimen, mental/emotional underachiever like Simms.

PS: Sorry for his injury and admire his guts, but he has been anything but the solid, conservative QB his father was during his college and pro career.

He's always led the league in "most likely to throw it up for grabs".

Last edited:
Cassle and Gootz go in that scenario. You hope that gootz makes it past the waver wire and he gets a year of PS.

Don't get emotional. There are lots of Gootz and Cassels out there...

Oh I know, I'm not saying I wouldn't make that decision if we could get simms. It was more just a question of which two you choose to cut. I'd have to agree with your assessment as well.

Well, it would be an easy decision. Cut Cassel and Gutieriez and develop O'Connell. I wouldn't be surprised if we kept four QBs with only cutting Cassel.

Whether it is Simms or someone else, I expect to see Brady, a released vet, and O'Connell as the three QB's.

Brady is obvious.
O'Connell must have some promise, based on his college career and third-round position.

Neither of the other two have proved their ability to manage a game. Another in the line of Testaverde and Flutie make a lot more sense.

While it would be a surprise for any of the league vet former starters/current back-ups like Trent Green (Rams), Brad Johnson (Cowboys), Gus Frerotte (Minnesota), or maybe Billy Volek (San Diego) to be released, one of those teams might love their young guys. Any of those would be a huge upgrade.

I wouldn't be surprised if we kept four QBs with only cutting Cassel.

I would be horrifically surprised if we kept 4 QBs. Stunned. And in a really, really bad way.

You'd have to think the Bears would be all over Simms, as someone already mentioned. The Vikings might have some interest too. Personally I'd take a trio of Brady/Simms/O'Connell over what we have now. The OC is obviously the arm that's being groomed moving forward, so wasting time on the other 2 arms isn't in our best interests as a contending team. Having a veteran in the #2 spot is.

there may more than one place he can be a starter. KC/chicago etc would be his destinations although the bears said they werent interested in favre and did nothing to upgrade their QB position so dont know how serious they would be.

Neither of the other two have proved their ability to manage a game.
Cassel hasn't proven it to you, but he has to BB. You might recall that BB chose Cassel and #2 last year, and Gute as the rookie developmental QB. There was no vet backup last year because BB was satisfied with Cassel.

Not to say he won't upgrade the position if he finds someone he thinks is better, and cold-hearedly cut both Cassel and Gute, but quite obviously based on last year, he thinks Cassel can get the job done.

Last edited:
I actually think BB's friendship with Phil Simms might make him reluctant to sign his son. Would not want the slightest vestige of friendship entering his decision and evaluation process. Besides Chris has not shown the characteristics the BB likes at QB. On the plus side of the arguement of what's in it for Chris vs a chance to compete elsewhere, a 1 year contract where he's mentored in a BB system wouldn't exactly hurt his career.

Last edited:
Cassel hasn't proven it to you, but he has to BB. You might recall that BB chose Cassel and #2 last year, and Gute as the rookie developmental QB. There was no vet backup last year because BB was satisfied with Cassel.

Not to say he won't upgrade the position if he finds someone he thinks is better, and cold-hearedly cut both Cassel and Gute, but quite obviously based on last year, he thinks Cassel can get the job done.
hey with the way cassell is preforming and bb keeping him around im thinking of calling bb for a tryout, i couldnt do any worse

hey with the way cassell is preforming and bb keeping him around im thinking of calling bb for a tryout, i couldnt do any worse

I know this is tongue in cheek but... yes, you really could ;)

tongue and cheek but don't forget last two preseasons we did love him around here. one game, let's see vs TB on sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents