PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Harper released

Status
Not open for further replies.
James White runs like he has 50lbs of lead around his ankles. I thought he could give us something close to Shane's outpout. Oh well.

Imagine the Broncos signed him? lol

With that "logic" you don't put a rookie, UDFA at that, in to defend on the goal line stand that will decide the Super Bowl.

Do you?

Apples and oranges.
Goal line stand requires multiple players. Chances are, due to salary cap ******ed depth, there may not be another choice or a lot of good choices (which may have been the case with Harper and the PR duties due to injury). Further, the goal line stand player being a rookie does not mean failure, it just may mean an increased chance at failure due to inexperience. Side note: In Butler's case there wasn't a lot of good choices. I doubt anyone was feeling mightily secure about Butler being the wall between a SB win or a SB loss (thankfully it worked as it did). Unfortunately for Arrington he was sucking it so bad we had to go with Butler.

For a PR catch, it is that singular player between a possession and a losing a possession. Over the years have you noticed how BB almost always puts the sure handed vet out there? BB has had some explosive newbys and even explosive vets that he could put out there yet he almost always went with the guy with a few years under his belt and proven sure hands.

Look, the team is missing a lot of parts. Harper was pressed into duty -- a duty he was not experienced at. IMHO the inexperience cost us. IMHO Harper of 2 years game experience probably makes a good play on that ball. Either way, whether he was pressed in to the role, shouldn't be doing it, is the second coming of Jules, it really doesn't matter. It is case closed on that play and that game. Harper learned from it, BB learned from it (and we all learned a late sunday evening hangover and a loss to Denver is a bad combo).

As far as Harper? I feel bad for the guy. This was a HUGE stage for an unheralded fringe player trying to make a career out of the NFL. He had a great catch last week erased. This week he had the chance to execute the important possession change and it got away from him (you could see him take his eyes off it). For a guy like Harper you don't get many chances to 'get it done', prove your worth, solidify an NFL career). So I personally hope the young man is brought back to the PS. The ability to bounce back from a stinging mistake is a lesson for all NFL players. Look, if he was good enough to make the PS and then be promoted, it is hard for me to believe one mistake means he isn't even PS worthy now (though BB and staff may have seen other stuff like route running and downfield blocking that was not good. That may have factored into the decision to release him). Unless there are pretty bad mitigating circumstances to Harper's play, this one play can't be the difference between being cut versus PS and 53 Roster can it?

ZoKoNO5.png

I guess a lot of people didn't read this earlier:
Seems hard to conclude that BB cut him because of this one play, rather easier to conclude the opposite.

That's all BB speak.

He will always talk about the sunny side of a players time in NE while that player is packing his locker up. After Bolden caught his first TD this season, he was asked about the catch and he said something along the lines of " I better make that TD catch or I wont be out there practicing next week"

The officials are the biggest reason the Patriots lost that game.

The officiating, and the decision not to run the clock down below the 2 minute warning when the Pats were up 21-17. I know the running game wasn't producing, but BB still should have forced Kubiak to burn his last time out. If they'd made a 1st down on the ground, the game was over. I'm sure that's big topic of conversation this week.

The officiating, and the decision not to run the clock down below the 2 minute warning when the Pats were up 21-17. I know the running game wasn't producing, but BB still should have forced Kubiak to burn his last time out. If they'd made a 1st down on the ground, the game was over. I'm sure that's big topic of conversation this week.

DEN burned its 3rd TO w/ 2:39 remaining.

Those guys are all on the roster. No need to free roster slots for any of them.

Of course the players that are injured but will be coming back are on the roster, I was talking about the possible need for roster spots for "emergency fill in players" that will substitute for those temporarily injured players over the next few weeks. Those could be current back-ups or practice squad players, but that isn't necessarily the case.

We have plenty of rookies and young players who might be thought of as developmental players: players that aren't ready to step in now but we keep them on the roster because they could develop into important contributors in the future. One might argue that Harper is such a developmental player, he shows promise but on the big stage he didn't appear to be ready to contribute now. I wouldn't be completely shocked if BB brought in a veteran wide receiver (or a veteran at another position such as linebacker) with less future potential than Harper but more able to contribute over the next game or two until we get an injured player back.

Each of those "emergency fill in" players could take up a roster spot from one of our "developmental player", and I think Harper might be an example of such a "developmental player" who lost his roster spot, at least for now.

DEN burned its 3rd TO w/ 2:39 remaining.

Right, when the Pats got a few yards on THIRD DOWN.

If Brady had let the play clock wind down the last seven seconds on FIRST DOWN, Denver would have had to burn their last time out with around 2:42 remaining, and so the 2-minute warning would have come into play after the Pats SECOND DOWN play, giving us third and whatever after the 2-minute warning.

Another running play and let the clock wind to about 1:10 and punt it away (if you don't get the first down), and Denver gets the ball around their own 20 with just over a minute and no timeouts, needing a touchdown and with a guy QB'ing his second start.

How do you like them odds?

But this board declared him the second coming! What happened?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

But but but he's 5'9! He must be another Welker and Edelman! If he was over 6'2" posters here would claim he wouldn't fit our "system" because he is too tall

Can't wait until patriots fan stop talking about this guy for good. He was on his way to becoming the next Adam Seward.

Harper played 5 snaps last night.

I find 5 snaps pretty troubling for a Offense who was missing bodies especially at his listed position. If they couln't design more than 5 plays for Harper in our Game plan its tells me that they still have reservations about him. That said Kraft needs to open up his Wallets in FA 2016 and sign some WR's like Jermain Kearse - Michael Crabtree or Mohamed Sanu. Please BB and company do not under any circumstances Draft a WR because you all suck at it. Also the Patriots might need to revamp their WR Scouts or try to pry away a WR Scout or Coach from either Pittsburgh or Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back